1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Where do you keep your acoustic?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by CajunJ, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I keep the Martin in its hard case right handy in the living room, but leave it as much and long as possible out in the armchair, if the situation is deemed low risk, i.e., no potential kid or dog accidents!

2. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I’ll sometimes leave one out for a day or two but usually they’re in their cases when not being played.

3. Chandlerman

Chandlerman Tele-Meister

It's made of carbon fiber so it really doesn't matter where it's stored.

[​IMG]

4. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

I love that Stella 12 string! I had one. They dont get enough love IMHO

5. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

Mine (six) rest in their cases.

Cali Dude likes this.
  6. adamp824

adamp824 Tele-Meister

Mine’s hung up on the wall. If i’m passing, i pick it up and play it. If it was in the case, i think i’d be less likely to get it out and play it.

And yes, I realise how lazy that is! :lol:

CajunJ likes this.
  7. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I don't play my acoustics enough to keep them out so they live in their cases so they aren't subjected to fluctuating humidity changes hanging on the wall.

20200813_233531273_iOS.jpg

I don't play them as much as I am starting to get arthritis in the hands and the Teles are much easier on the old bones :)

I currently have two acoustics, a Fender CD-280 Dread and a Recording King RO-127.

I use humidifiers in the cases when necessary and I monitor their humidity regularly.

004.JPG 20200816_144804836_iOS.jpg

I keep the Teles on the wall as those are generally what I pick up every day, here are just a couple of them hanging in the bedroom...

20200821_144204962_iOS.jpg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    telestratosonic, JL_LI and CajunJ like this.
  8. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood is in a RoadRunner case in my living room. The case is a heavy synthetic fabric, possibly nylon, over felt covered stiff foam. I was able to fly with it in the cabin when I brought it home from California but rules can be bent in the front of the jet. I keep the case zipped closed. I haven't seen a drying problem in the winter, probably because I keep the case away from the baseboard heat. The indoor climate in the summer is pretty benign because the AC is off downstairs overnight. The guitar comes out to be played but it goes right back in its case when I finish. I've been keeping one electric at a time out in my music room but that had to stop a couple of weeks ago. I have a new puppy that has a taste for Mogami Gold guitar cables. She's also discovered the tip at the end of the tremelo arm of my FCS Strat. The Strat is heavy relic, but heavy relic never included teething marks.

telestratosonic likes this.
  9. Lockback

Lockback Tele-Meister

My acoustics hang on the wall in my "music room". Which is my man cave, sort of. Decent TV, all my guitars and accessories and bourbon and beer only a few steps away.

CajunJ and JL_LI like this.
  10. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

Mine stays in the case because it usually goes in the truck with me when I go out of town for work. When I’m home its in the case too but sitting on top of a chest in the living room so I can grab it for a porch session whenever I have a notion. Some day I will have a music room where they will all live together as one big happy family.

11. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

This is actually a good question. What you want ideally is for your guitars to spend their entire lives at about 40 to 50 percent relative humidity. They can take short excursions away from that but that the ideal values. When the wood was dried it was usually held in a stable environement at about 40%. When the RH gets significantly lower the wood shrinks - the dome of the top drops out, the top may become concave, it is common for the top to crack down the center seam or other places. The fret ends get sharp, the finish gets wonky. Because the top is settling down the action goes down and the guitar gets buzzy. Here is a concave top

IMG_4373.JPG

The worst of that is the top cracking

IMG_3622.JPG

I see several of these each winter and I don't try to fix them, but rather I send them away with a couple of mega-humidifiers, tell the owner to bring it back in a month and I'll decide whether to fix it or wait some more.

High humidity can be bad in other fashions (glue joints can creep) but the real problem is low.

The simple fix is not let it happen in the first place. If you insist on leaving your guitar out buy a hygrometer (try a cigar shop, those guys are fanatics about humidity) and google how to calibrate it. If your room air stays between 40 and 50 percent, by all means, hang the guitars on the wall. If you heat the air and don't watch the humidity there is a good chance you will be bringing your guitars to me.

I live in the rainy PNW and during the winter the RH in my house it 20 or so percent. My skin gets itchy but my guitars are happy - each one has a sponge/baggie humidifier that costs me 25 cents to make. I dampen them every few days, they'll go a week, and I do check the hygrometer in the room, but I also run a cheap room humidifier most of the winter.

The one thing I'll add and I made this comment in my last post - the music store that I deal with has a closed loop humidifier in their HVAC (it measures the RH and puts out more or less water to try to hold it at 40). I've been told that it goes thur about 20 gallons a day to try to maintain a small show room full of nice guitars.

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Always one acoustic and one electric hanging in the living room and the other two acoustics hanging in the studio. All acoustics are up in the studio during the woodstove winter months (30-40% RH) and my Eastman parlor in a hardcase upstairs during winter.

13. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Hanging on the wall within arms reach...:)

since the orig gig bag rotted away, I've never had it in a case.... still straight and true...:)

14. slowcarfast

slowcarfast TDPRI Member

All my guitars love in their cases when not in use. I've got elementary age kids, they've already broken two televisions by throwing stuff around the living room. I'm definitely not risking a guitar suffering a death by child! In Florida, so low humidity isn't really an issue.

15. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

I leave it on a stand.

7306E343-5DA5-4A7C-90A8-05D0F789512F.jpeg

envirodat, goonie and CajunJ like this.
  16. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

My higher end ones always stored in their hard cases, but I keep a beater acoustic out for when I just want to grab and do a little noodling. There are advantage to every method of storage, but I think keeping them on end in a hard case is the safest.

I hung a few in the past and it sure looks nice, but always worried about them falling while at work. If it is on the floor, it can't fall. If stored upright, not likely to step or fall on one either.

17. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

My two (a 6 and a 12)are on stands in the music room. RH is always between 40-50% year round, I find they always sound better when it's closer to 40 tho.

18. Lance Morgan

Lance Morgan TDPRI Member

All 28 are out all the time, hanging or on stands.

Beautiful art that makes music, too.

Controller and CajunJ like this.
  19. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Guitar stand in music room.

20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I own 2 acoustics:

One of the 2 is always literally 2 feet away from me ( out of case) and my easy chair in the living room as I play off an on any time I am home. 24/7

Loosely, a Martin dread ( with pickup) stays in its case, ready for gigs; a Blueridge 000 ( no pickup) stays 2 feet away for home play. I hope to flip-flop that when I get a PU for the Blueridge.

Both guitars get in-guitar/in case humidifiers, in the Winter, but I still keep one out in the daytime, in case at night.
    Gotta play!

CajunJ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.