Where do you insert a volume pedal and wah pedal in your pedalboard chain?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Digiplay, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

My questions asks it all!

2. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

In the beginning, before or after your tuner, in the middle, at the end, etc?

bluesguy62 likes this.
  3. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I like to put mine after my drive pedals. If it’s before them, turning it down cleans them up. I like being able to keep all the gain, but make it quieter. But there’s really no right or wrong answer. Some people like to use it like a guitar volume to clean things up.

DougM, X-Ray, bluesguy62 and 5 others like this.
  4. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I found putting my volume pedal down the line gives it a better taper, but I bought it to use as an expression pedal as well ( Ernie Ball VP Jr). But I like wah first.

bluesguy62 and gimmeatele like this.
  5. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

volume pedal goes last, its supposed to control the volume after processing. Wah-wah is a tone pedal, it can go anywhere but typically end of chain, since you have a volume pedal there, put it before the volume pedal and after everything else.

pippoman, bluesguy62 and Mojohand40 like this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

After years of experimentation, I ended up placing my volume pedal after my drive pedals too. Like what @Jakedog was saying, it depends on whether you want to adjust the input to your drive pedals or if you want to adjust the volume without changing the drive settings.
    Oh, and as far as I’m concerned, wah goes before everything else except a tuner. Adjusting the signal from the guitar with a wah without any other effects only makes sense to me.

Bluesbob, bluesguy62 and Jakedog like this.
  7. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

Vol typically would go 1st and take the place of the guitar vol knob for swells.
    But lately Ive been experimenting with it at the end in front of a fully wet ambient reverb to bring the effect in and out.
    Havnt used wah in years, but I always put it 1st or very early in the chain. Before the tuner to keep it off the board. Nowadays I tend to prefer an env filter that still goes 1st right after the tuner.

bluesguy62 and Jakedog like this.
  8. guitarndrms

guitarndrms TDPRI Member

I like mine up front but I’d like to try it after the drive section as recommended ⬆️.

9. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

FD028E16-114D-456A-A5BF-41A186A21744.jpeg
    First and second

bluesguy62 likes this.
  10. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't plugged my volume pedal in for decades, but I used to have it up front.

Recognizing the different effects of a volume pedal at front or end of the effects chain, Steve Hackett used to have both in his Genesis pedal rig (& played sitting down so he could handle a complicated setup like that!).
    I'm not sure but I think Robert Fripp may also have had two volume pedals in a similar manner (& a stool to perch on!).

bluesguy62 likes this.
  11. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

For me:

Wah (and any other filter, including phasers) go first. Volume pedal comes right after OD/Dist section, for reasons already mentioned above. Modulation, delays, and reverb follow.

bluesguy62 likes this.
  12. Lone_Poor_Boy

Lone_Poor_Boy Tele-Holic

Copied from the notepad file I wrote 20 years ago. I'm open to other thoughts;

ELECTRIC WITH COMPRESSOR
    Guitar
    Wah
    Compressor
    Tube Screamer
    Delay
    Tuner - TU3 and send 2 outputs to 2 amps.

I don't use a compressor anymore. Not for a long time.

And I have tried volume pedals and return them every time. I don't need another thing on the ground when my Boogie footswitch and guitar knobs and pickup selector get me there. If I did it would be after the Tube Screamer, at least.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    bluesguy62 and schmee like this.
  13. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

Between dirt and delay/chorus. Or just between the guitar and the amp.

bluesguy62 likes this.
  14. sswoverl

sswoverl Tele-Meister

Wah goes closest to the monitor wedge, the volume goes nearest the refrigerator.

15. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Hi saleake!

Believe it or not, the pedalboard I'm assembling will have a Radial DI (to go to my DAW and the pedalboard), a volume and wah pedal, a Keeley Compressor Plus, an Ibanez Tube Screamer, and a Strymon Flint and Iridium.

For delay I'll have a Keeley Caverns Delay Reverb V2, but we obviously have similar ideas :)

bluesguy62 and saleake like this.
  16. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Wah always sounds best first in the chain. I agree the only thing in front of it should be a tuner. And I usually put mine even before that. Because the wah doesn’t go on my board. Board goes on the left side of the mic stand, cause I can only use it with my left foot. Wah goes on the right side of the mic stand cause I can work it well with my right foot. How’s that for weirdness?

cjp60, bluesguy62 and Obsessed like this.
  17. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Holic

Don't have a wah, if I did it would probably be first in the chain. Volume pedal is after dirt and before delay.

bluesguy62 and Obsessed like this.
  18. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

Wah definitely belongs up front, ideally.

Volume pedals can be anywhere in your chain depending on what your sonic goals are and, to some degree, what sort of associated pedals you have.

Volume pedals are sometimes associated with “tone suck” because things can get a little tricky with regard to impedance. You’ll have to experiment to find what works best, but I like them immediately after drive and fuzz, and I also like them between the pre and power section of the amp.

bluesguy62 likes this.
  19. Mojohand40

Mojohand40 Tele-Afflicted

I don't use a wah. But volume pedal, for steel; at least, I like it after any overdrive and before a delay or verb. Just what I'm used to hearing I guess.
    I also tend to use volume pedal with steel a lot less than I used to, FWIW.
    For pedal steel; it's pretty much required as most pedal steels don't have a volume knob. For lap steel; I found that I tended to over use it a bit; so I just put it away for awhile and got used to not having it. For trying to imitate a pedal steel with a Tele or lap steel; a volume pedal can really add a lot.

20. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

First

radiocaster and bluesguy62 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.