Where Do You Draw The Line?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Mar 26, 2020.

1. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The Most annoying commercial thread got me to thinking. There are a number of products / companies I won't use because I've been so irritated by commercials. This is my small part of pushing back.

After years of issues and problems, we've sworn off GM cars, unless I get a personal apology from the CEO (and even then, probably not). Our last GM purchase was 1999. This is especially sad since my father was a GM retiree and we got good pricing, but they proved not to be worth the savings in the long run.

I had a friend who owned a gas station with three service bays. He sold pop in coolers, cigarettes, candy, and a few snacks by the register. My wife asked him why he did not sell beer, since that could bring in some good money. He said "I won't be a part of drinking and driving. More money is not worth that." I respected him for that.

Everyone has "one of those lines" they draw. Tell us about yours if you feel inclined.

idjster, djh22, nojazzhere and 6 others like this.
  2. skitched

skitched Tele-Meister

I refuse to buy Nike since all the kids who picked on me in high school wore Nike’s...

I also refuse to buy a non-Toyota car because they are, in my experience, the most durable vehicles being made right now...

3. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Outside of our home, automobiles represent the greatest outlay for most of us. For most other things, it's easy to just forget about problems and go elsewhere.

I will never buy a Volvo again because of a bad dealer experience. Then the company became a technology conduit to China. A Volvo is just too much money for me to be comfortable sending there.

Our Porsche was unreliable, began to fall apart with less than 38,000 miles on it, and we got it from the only dealer we've ever had to take to court.

We're on our last BMW now. The car is great, but again, the dealer is an issue.

That said, I'm not a complainer. There are two exemplary businesses I've had dealings with. For Guitars, Music Zoo at their Bethpage, NY showroom. The other is MB of Massapequa NY where my wife and I have always been treated respectfully and fairly, even generously. When my lease is up, I'll pay the $2000 divorce settlement and take my business where it is appreciated. That's worth way more to me than 0.2 sec to 60 mph.

jannodude and nojazzhere like this.
  4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Ex had a brand new 2004 Impala when I met her. It had a slow electrical drain that no one could ever find - if it sat for more than three days the battery was dead and possibly ruined. Went through 7 batteries in about three years; some covered by warranty, some not. Took it to 3 different dealerships and multiple other mechanics and they said it was fine - "Yeah, it just needs a new battery. That last one you bought must have been a dud." Finally ended up trading it in for a Toyota. I won't ever own a GM again.

I got Hughesnet internet last year. Did the sign up over the phone, told the guy I was just going to be living there for three months. Asked him if there was any early cancellation fee. He said no. Never signed anything. When I went to move they billed me $350 saying I had agreed to a 2 year contract. Argued with them for a couple of months about it and ended up paying because I couldn't get hold of anyone outside of their Customer Service Department in India. I won't ever use Hughesnet again. I cringe whenever I see a commercial.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  5. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Just deleted two political posts.

Asmith, Jlwctn, nojazzhere and 3 others like this.
  6. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

I was scammed on Amazon a couple years ago. They were very unhelpful and even accused me of trying to scam them at one point. It took a lot of my personal time and extreme frustration to get things taken care of, which finally did happen. After that experience, I closed my account and refuse to do business with them. (I know... they couldn't care less, I'm only one person)

7. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

I absolutely refuse to buy products or services that I know in advance do not work or aren't useful. I am adamant about that. As an example, I will never buy another pet rock as long as I live. Those things are terrible companions.

I guess I'm just too principled for my own good.

8. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

9. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

If I see your cooks or servers outside smoking I won’t eat at your restaurant.

10. JuneauMike

I have another strangely drawn line. I try to make it a point to patronize businesses that are currently being boycotted by some group or another. Anyone really. Weird, huh?

Matt G, Danjabellza and Jim622 like this.
  11. pcampbell

pcampbell Tele-Meister

I draw the line at adding "-licious" to various noun prefixes to create made up words, like "that tele is tele-licious."

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

The battery drain thing is not something that just GM products are plagued by. We have a Honda that had the exact same thing. I checked everything I could find on the net, and things I thought to check myself. Finally took it to a repair shop, they kept it three days, and couldn't find anything wrong. Brought it home, and then never had the problem again. My wife has an Impala LTZ we bought new in 2006 that starts if its been sitting for a month. It has a thousand amp cold cranking battery, the Honda has a 500 amp cold crank battery. The next time I replace the battery in the Honda, I'm going to put an Odyssey battery box in it, and a much bigger battery. If you look on the net, almost every brand foreign and domestic have similar tales of woe about battery drain. I think it's mostly because modern cars have so many electronics, that if one of them gets a head cold, all the rest start sneezing.

Jlwctn and nojazzhere like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Have you sufficient toilet paper reserves to back up such a broad statement as that?

pcampbell likes this.
  14. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Holic

There are several restaurants I will never re-enter. Bad food and/or bad service - seeya! I usually don't give them a second chance. Granted, everyone can have a hiccup with the food or the service, but it depends how they respond to it.

Years ago, my wife and I ordered shrimp fajitas and we ordered some kids fare for our 4 girls. When they brought out the food I noticed something was wrong - I told the waitress that our dish had these tiny salad shrimp and only about a tablespoon full at that. She said "Oh I'm so sorry," and took it back to the kitchen. A couple minutes later she came back and brought all fresh fajita fixin's and she said "Sorry, our chef in training used the wrong shrimp, your order will be right here. Oh, I see your drinks are empty, let me refill those for you! Shortly she came back with a sizzling grille of jumbo shrimp, onions, peppers, etc. Then she said, I see the girls are almost done with their food, I'll get something to keep them busy while you're eating. She brought back four hot fudge sundaes. No charge on the drink refills or the sundaes.

She got a good tip. She turned a bad situation around. I also spoke with the manager, and congratulated him on empowering the servers to effectively problem-solve directly with customers. Being a Service Manager for any years, I have some pretty strong opinions on this subject. Hearing "That's not our policy," or "I'm going to have to ask the manager, but (s)he's not here right now" makes me feel like there's bees in my head.

By the way, this incident was about 30 years ago, and we still frequent this restaurant.

15. Toto'sDad

I had a pet rock. I can vouch for the fact that they are moody, and uncommunicative. Sulky even. They go for days without moving. The only positive thing about them is for the most part, they are housebroken when you get them, and hardly ever make a mess in the floor.

16. Toto'sDad

Okay we'll move them inside, they are more comfortable smoking in the kitchen anyway!

17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That’s re-donkificious, why, words are supposed to be made up!

Deeve, Toto'sDad and pcampbell like this.
  18. JuneauMike

I kept mine for weeks after it had died. No one told me.

Gives me shivers thinking back to those days.

19. Toto'sDad

[​IMG]

NightOwl likes this.
  20. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

That’s really the way to do it. As a lifelong restaurant worker I know that what we see as customers is nothing compared to what we don’t. Not even trying to offer a savory appearance around the front door? I’m all set :)

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.