1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Where do you buy your Tele bodies?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by HBamps, Jun 22, 2009.

1. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

Where is a good place to get a tele body? I have looked at ebay, grguitars, mjtele, warmoth etc.

I like good looking finish but I am primarily looking for a well made body that will mate up well with a neck. I want a killer player, not so much a looker.

Has anyone ever bought from these guys?
    http://www.bestguitarparts.com/in-stock/36/Swamp_Ash_Tele_Thinline_Body.htm

Since I am a novice, I am not sure where the value is in bodies.

Thanks!

2. originalmatthew

originalmatthew Tele-Holic

You are probably going to get 2000 different opinions on bodies and wood. :eek:)
    That doesnt LOOK like a bad body from the pics, but beware that funky control plate cut out. Wont work if you want a classic Tele look. There are lots of good woods out there, but for personal preference i stay away from bass wood and pauloina.
    I am sure someone here will point you to a better deal than 169.

3. tonewoods

tonewoods Former Member

4. Teleblaster_1

Teleblaster_1 Former Member

+100,000,000,000,000,000

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Best Guitar is a middleman or retailer of parts. Sometimes he's got no bodies on display, sometimes he's got USACG bodies for sale (from the looks of it, I've never asked Tommy, I swear) and sometimes the bodies seem to be from somewhere else.

But there's a markup in there, there has to be. Check out the Webspecials Page at www.usacustomguitars.com and generally find even prettier, even lighter bodies for even less money. Best of all, when you call they pick up the phone and USACG is where the very best stuff is actually made. If you don't believe me, look at the Best "Links" page - First up: USACG, and Best says right off, USACG is the best. They're right.

Never talked to anybody at Best. They never answered the phone; many tries.

6. mojo2001

mojo2001 Tele-Holic

I don't know...that looks like a nice Thinline body to me!! Grain is very cool.

No problem with the control route because the pickguard will cover it in a Thinline.

Price is very decent too. You can get a regular tele body for less but thinlines obviously cost more.

So far, in 8-9 bodies purchased I never had a problem fitting necks...all my necks are Warmoth and Musikraft. My bodies are Fender, Musikraft, Warmoth and a few from independent builders. They usually pop right together, nice and tight, just right.

I will agree that it is worth spending cash to buy from a reputable outfit, especially for novice efforts, but to me it looks like that company is a USACG reseller.

I say go with it!

PS: DANG, that was my 501st post. Didn't realize I hit 500...about what Bubbanov knocks out in a long weekend. :D

7. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Are those usacg body pictures done before the round over - they look a little rough...

I have used a lot of Warmoth bodies - every one of them was a great one. They have some at 175 - for the price I think they are great.

8. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

USACG is the best in the business IMHO.

Call Tommy and he'll hook you right up....

9. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

I've heard only good things about USACG - they are only about 10 minutes from my house - I keep meaning to go over there and visit them.

10. olaftheholy

olaftheholy Tele-Afflicted

Man if they was ten minutes from my house i'd be al over that place all the time...
    Dude! come on!!!

11. telechaser

telechaser Tele-Afflicted

Guitar Mill or Musikraft. I was lucky enough to score a finished Guitar Mill body on eBay. I don't really see them listing on eBay anymore.

12. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I build my own, but if i was going to purchase one, USACG. I like Warmoth as well.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If I lived 10 minutes from there, I'd apply for a job sweeping floors over there!

;)

14. bubba105

bubba105 Tele-Meister

If I lived 10 minutes away from there, they'd move.

15. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

thanks for the responses! Looking at USACG, the prices are not bad. But the bodies look like they do not have a radius cut on them. Is that something I'd have to do myself?

16. cbnutt

cbnutt Tele-Afflicted

blue moon, one of the members here builds as a good a tele body as you will find any where.

17. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

So, how does one find his business? Got a link?

18. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Vintage tele raadius is 1/8th inch, which is hardly nothing. Newer teles are 3/16th inch. Tommy at USACG will build you a body to your specs. But if you want to exaggerate a radius, you can do it with a router or sandpaper and a careful-steady hand.

19. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    As some of you may know, I like to play around with bindings on bodies. Best to have no round over when you do that.

When I have purchased Web Special bodies from USACG, they have come unradiussed. It is my impression that the round overing is not done until they are prepared to ship.

There may be exceptions to that, but on the plain Jane T-bodies I have purchased it seems to be the case.

I have been very pleased and satisfied with my USACG purchases.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.