Where do I put my ground wire?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by django73, Aug 13, 2012.

1. django73

django73 TDPRI Member

Hi people
    I have some noise problems on my tele.
    There are some hizzle noise when connected to the amp. Its not something that affect the sound very much, and it isnt louder than the tones, but you can hear it (its worst when not playing :lol:). When I take my hands of, and dont touch any parts on the guitar, the noise gets much louder. It normaly does on all guitars, but this is much louder.
    Could it be a wire ground problem?
    Ive checked the electronic, and by looking at this diagram, I can see that I dont have that ground wire at my pot:

https://sites.google.com/site/phostenixwiringdiagrams/teles/2-pickup-teles#StandardTele

If I connect a ground wire to the pot, where do the other end go to.......?? The bridge?

All the best
    Kent, Denmark

2. LarsOS

LarsOS Tele-Holic

The backs of both pots should be grounded, as well as the bridge plate, and the neck pickup shield. When it comes to grounding, it doesn't matter much what you connect to what, as long as everything is connected to everything. :)

3. django73

django73 TDPRI Member

Ok, what about the ground wire on the diagram? Is that a dead end?
    I dont have a ground wire on my pot, does it matter?

Everything else is wired as on the diagram

Kent

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Some people poke that spare earth wire back into the bridge PU cavity... strip back the insulation a few cms .. unscrew your bridge plate a bit and fan the bare end of the earth wire and push it between the underside of the bridge plate and the body so it sits flat as you can get it then screw the bridge back down clamping it against the body for an added earth point...

usually the metal of the bridge is earthed back through the pickup mount screws and earthed through the base of the PU... black wire...

just an extra thing some people do.. it shouldn't be a necessity... tape the end off and let it float in the control cavity is OK...

5. PinewoodRo

PinewoodRo Tele-Afflicted

On a Tele, the pots can be grounded by connection to the metal control plate. As long as one of the pots or the switch has a wire to the output ground you should be ok. (But not always, you should check with a multi-meter).

jlem3 likes this.
  6. NastyMojo

NastyMojo Tele-Afflicted

I just wrap it around a screw and screw the screw into the woods.....gets the job done...

jlem3 likes this.
  7. django73

django73 TDPRI Member

Thanks for your replies.
    Ive tried the things you wrote, but it doesnt seem to reduce the noice........I know there is noice when you dont touch the hardware, and it goes away when you put your hands back on. My tele just have a bit more noise than my other guitars, and its a bit to much..........any suggestions to get that solved...........

Thanks
    Kent

8. krasy

krasy TDPRI Member

9. django73

django73 TDPRI Member

It dosnt make any difference, connecting the wire under the bridge.......?!?

10. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

When I get too lazy to drill a hole, I just run a piece of shielding tape from the control cavity to the bridge.

[​IMG]

Edit: Single coil pickups are by nature noisier than humbuckers or noise canceling pickups. So unless you have humbuckers or noise canceling pickups, you will have a little bit of buzzing. Just the nature of the beast

11. surfco

surfco Tele-Afflicted

Can I use the control plate of the Telecaster to wire grounds???

12. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Simple way to check if bridge needs grounding is to just touch a wire to bridge and control plate .If the noise stops then ground bridge .

13. Thinlineggman

On that bass I posted I didn't wire any grounds because the plate grounded everything. And the strip to the bridge grounded everything to the strings.

I'm still gonna wire grounds to everything, just to be thorough, though.

14. LarsOS

LarsOS Tele-Holic

:eek:

And here I thought I was an expert on lazy. Let's just say you just put me in my place. :D

15. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

I rewire all Tele pups with two coil wires and a separate ground wire like the stock Fender Texas Specials and use copper foil screening in pup and control plate cavities.
    Neck is coil start and finish + separate ground to cover and bridge is coil start and finish + separate plate ground which also grounds the bridge through the pup mounting screws. Seems to work.
    I wish all the manufacturers did it this way as it makes life that much easier for 4 way and reverse switching.
    Chrome control plates are excellent conductors and the bridging wires between pots are unnecessary unlike Strat wiring.

16. Thinlineggman

I do what I can :D

I didn't have a drill bit long enough and didn't want to go buy one, so yeah haha. Now the finish has faded around that strip, so it looks weird if it's not there....

17. jlem3

jlem3 TDPRI Member

Thanks, I tried something around the lines of that... Im still missing something somewhere...IDK , back to it I guess

18. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

No, do not do this.

19. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

Absolutely. This is how my Tele is wired. Nothing soldered to pot shells. Dead quiet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.