1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Where do I find my perfect tele??

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Rusty Stauffer, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Rusty Stauffer

Rusty Stauffer Tele-Meister

Dear forum

I have found what's almost my perfect tele --- and I need your help Deciding. It's fiesta red, alder body, texas special pickups, C-shaped neck with 9.5 radius and 1.69" nut width, vintage bridge and tuners. Weight is 7.5lb. All those things are great but.....

The difference between the one I found and a dream "perfect tele" would be same as above except:
    - rather have a "tummy cut" on the body
    - MUCH prefer 1.65 nut width and "D" neck shape (like the James Burton model).
    - don't care about body wood but weight has to be 7.0-7.5 lb.

You guessed correctly if you spotted that the one I found is the telecaster "special" model. Price is about $800 and change.

I cannot afford custom shop prices, and wouldn't pay that much even if I could afford it.

What would you do? Should I buy the almost perfect Tele? Is there some way to get the neck I prefer (1.65 nut, 9.5 radius, D-shape) in the aftermarket?

Your thoughts appreciated.

2. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

USACG. That's where I got mine.

3. WrightAllNight

WrightAllNight TDPRI Member

It's at my house but you can't have it

4. Rusty Stauffer

Ha!!!! Keep me in mind if you get arthritis and can't play! (I hope that never happens to you).

5. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Nahhhh.

THIS is your perfect Tele: '52 Hot Rod RI.

Just approach it...slow...ly....

Fishybob likes this.
  6. Rusty Stauffer

The guitar tone Sounds like Keef but played
    Much more expertly... that's a very good thing.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  7. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

You can't. I already own it and it's not for sale. :p ;)

It always easy to find pickups and a neck you like in the aftermarket. The Stratosphere has a good supply of actual Fender necks or there are those who will make you your "perfect neck".

Mine is actually an alder Squier CVC body w/a 2006 Nashville Deluxe neck, Keystone pickups, a 4-way switch, Treble Bleed, and a Vintage Bridge w/compensated brass saddles.

"Perfect" is only as far away as your imagination and a little work.

8. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

image.jpeg WWJBD?

9. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I keep chasing the rainbow :)

10. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

sounds like Robben Ford. . .
    And That's (another) very good thing.

11. TeleCustom2

TeleCustom2 TDPRI Member

USACG Swamp ash body with a walnut lam top (I provided the walnut) and one piece Indian rosewood neck with a '57 Gibson style humbucker in the neck and a early '60s Tele single coil at the bridge (pick ups from Peter Florance). Stunning to look at, its a work of visual art and its now six years old and it sounds better every day.

When I decided to go with USACG I thought it was a once-in-a-lifetime deal because I'd never be able to afford to do it again so I wanted to do it right. (In the end, the price really wasn't much different than getting an expensive Fender from GC.) The difference in attitude (after six years) is that it will probably be a once-in-a-lifetime deal because I seriously doubt I will ever get/build/create a better guitar. It is amazing in every way and could not be happier. It is sheer joy to play and hear.

But beauty is in the eye (and/or ear) of the beholder... and I would imagine many people feel that way about their guitars.

The USACG experience from start to finish was incredible. If you have ever wondered or considered something like this, I HIGHLY recommend using them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.