1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Where did you take drivers ed?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fretting out, Aug 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I took it in High School.
    It was an elective class.

The Instructor would always fall asleep while we drove.

Fretting out likes this.
  2. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

I didn’t take drivers anywhere. And don’t call me Ed.

Mr. Neutron and Fretting out like this.
  3. mngsp

mngsp Tele-Meister

I took my classroom at Montgomery Wards in the Northtown Mall. During break I would walk through the mall to Jerry's Smoke Shop and buy a tin of Happy Days Raspberry snuff, $0.99 after tax. I quit chewing tobacco about 20 years ago and dont have any urges to start again but if they still made that Happy Days Raspberry I sure would give it a thought lol.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    Fretting out likes this.
  4. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

As soon as I turned 16 in 1974 I did the written test and passed. Then I got a beginner's license which meant that you had to have a licensed driver in the car with you. If I recall correctly there was no set waiting period to take the driving test...you could do it the day after you passed the written test if you liked. The beginner's license was referred to as a '365' because it was good for 1 year...if you let it expire you had to take the written test again. I don't recall how long I waited to take the driving test which I passed. I think driver's ed was offered through my highschool and if you took it you'd get a discount on car insurance.

My father taught me how to drive...parking lots...back roads etc. Also I made a key for my mothers Austin 1300 and I would 'borrow' that at night and go driving when I was maybe 14....learned a lot of what not to do that way...especially in winter on snowy, icy roads.

This all took place in northern Ontario, Canada.

Fretting out likes this.
  5. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

In early 1970s East Tennessee you didn't have to take Driver's Ed to get a license, but you got a massive insurance discount if you did. Worked like clockwork. My dad taught me to drive. I went down to the Tennessee Highway Patrol office where I took a computerized exam and then went out with the female officer on a check ride in our stick-shift Volkswagen. She had me parallel park and show her my stuff and then took me to a typical, extremely steep East Tennessee hill and stopped me halfway up. "Alright, let's go." Thank goodness my father had taught me to catch the car on the emergency brake with my finger holding the release and then clutch and accelerate with my free feet. I passed with flying colors.

The next semester at high school I took Driver's Ed from the football coach. We put three students and the instructor in four-door automatic Ford Galaxies with instructor's right-hand foot brakes. The coach took us on the then-unopened stretch of 1-40 between West Knoxville and Dixie Lee Junction and practiced Interstate highway drive, managing over-speed curves and high-speed skids.

Interestingly, up in New Jersey, my future wife was going through a similar driving course and then took an advanced Driver's Ed course involving driving on an unopened I-78 with cars that had tires that would be explosively deflated to teach them to respond and control the car.

Bob

6. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

High School elective. You had to turn 16 before the end of the class.

Some pretty cool cars to learn and some duds.

Lots of Dodge K-cars (I think) duds, some Camaro’s and even a stick shift VW Bug.

Fretting out likes this.
  7. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I always thought my dad taking drivers ed at a Montgomery wards was kind of an oddity

Apparently a couple of you guys went to department store drivers ed

8. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

stealing my dads 1955 International R-130 pickup truck while he was at work

9. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Holic

Who is Driver Ed?

LeftFinger likes this.
  10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

They didn't have any drivers ed at our school. I was riding bikes and driving cars before I had a license.. off road and on road and also sprint racing go-karts.

had to take a few private lessons with a driving school and used their vehicles for my tests when the time came...

I rode bikes for 3 yrs before I got a car...

Fretting out likes this.
  11. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

Me too . Drove around for 20 min .The examiner taught me how to parallel park and passed me.:lol:

tery likes this.
  12. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

My high school was located near a driving instructor training course, so they used us as training dummies. We used their track, their cars and their tech theater. They also had a device called The Seatbelt Persuader. You got strapped in and then it basically sends you into a brick wall at five miles an hour. By godfrey, it was very persuasive, too. Did the car license at 18 and then learned to drive properly in Germany when I was 23.

Also got my bike license when I was 18. Borrowed a friend's 75cc scooter for the test, then got straight onto my bored-out Kawasaki H1 drag bike. That was profoundly stupid, but it took about a year and three near-death experiences to fully sink in.

13. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

It was taught in my high school in New York. Everyone took it. Our teacher taught us how to light a cigarette while driving.

My sister took it in Cincinnati. There was an Ohio state law that all kids had to take it, no exception. So there was a blind kid in her class who sat next to the drivers and worked the shifter.

Maine doesn't require driver's ed, and it shows. Whew!

14. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

In California you had to pass high school driver's ed. to get a learner's permit. Since I skipped third grade, I was too young to take it with the rest of my class, so I took it during the following summer, where each session was much longer, but there were far fewer of them, and because they were longer, instead of just driving around town, we got to go on the freeway, and on the cool mountain highways under the redwoods between the SF Bay and the Pacific Ocean, which are all sadly burnt to a crisp now.

15. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

Took it in high school. We had those car cockpits that they'd put on a desk and make you drive along to a movie. If you forgot to check your side view mirror, the teacher would slam a book on a desk, yell "you're dead! and scare the hell out of us...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.