1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Where did you take drivers ed?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fretting out, Aug 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Followed by “OH!!!!!”

P Thought likes this.
  2. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I got my permit at a Sinclair gas station and hopped on the dinosaur. Passed on my first try.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Driving in SoCal in 1970 was like being introduced to the Blue Angels. So much precision!

Now, it is a hotbed of incompetence. Women, hauled against their will to the USA by their bridegroom, being forced to learn to drive here when they never wanted any of that. And they took their passive aggression out on the other motorists and things have decayed from there.

suave eddie likes this.
  4. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

In high school.

5. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I learned to drive cars and trucks through the ruts through the cow pastures and various dirt roads around the farm.

But my funny story was when I went to get my Motorcycle license. You had to RIDE your motorcycle to the office and then put a speaker in your helmet and have an officer follow you in his or her car and take their directions as they were relayed through a walkie talky to the speaker in your helmet. I got lucky and got the female officer.
    She looked at my paperwork and then asked me how far away I lived. I told her it took me 30 minutes to get to the offices. She nodded and led me to the parking lot.
    She took me out to her car, had me clip the speaker into my helmet and then tested it with saying, "can you hear me dear?"
    I nodded and she said, "OK we are going to exit the parking lot taking a right hand turn. I will give you directions after that."
    I nodded again, started my bike and proceeded to exit the parking lot with her on my tail. I had just barely gotten on the road when I heard her voice say, "right turn at the next intersection."
    I hit my blinker and threw my left hand up to signal right turn just to be safe, and then made the turn smoothly. I road on just a bit and I heard her say in my ear, "turn off your blinker dear." My bike at the time did not have self cancelling signals.
    So we are coming to the next intersection and I hear her say, "Right turn at the next intersection."
    I turned on my blinker again and signaled with my right hand and made the turn.
    I remember that time to turn my blinker off and about the time I did that she came over the speaker again, "Right turn at the next intersection."
    I signaled by blinker and hand again and found myself headed back toward the road I had turned onto out of the license office. There was a stop sign at the end of the road and as I pulled up to stop she came over the speaker again, "Right turn dear."
    I make another right turn and as I am coming up to the office she says, "turn into the parking lot and park."
    I was sweating bullets thinking I had not passed because of the stupid non cancelling signals.
    I take off my helmet, she collected the speaker and had me follow her into the office.
    I made a 97 on my test, the only negative was a blinker that had not been turned off.

She later told me that she figured if I had driven 30 miles on a highway to get to the office and not died that I probably knew what I was doing.

Wallo Tweed and boris bubbanov like this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I hear that.

My Dad gave up his motorcycle endorsement in CA about ten years back, around age 84. He kept hearing horror stories, that the official would fail you and then you'd need a 20 mile ride back home - and some wrecker driver would earn some easy money toting your motorcycle since none of the rest of us had an endorsement that was recognized in California. And money would be split between the wrecker driver and the official. So, now the motorcycle is safe with me in North Carolina and not a soul cares if you're licensed in any respect - not even plates on the bike.

California takes real good care of the motorcycle rider. The uniform comes out and smirks, when you tell them another of your motorcycles has been stolen - they don't care.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  7. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Driving on the logging roads sitting on my dad's lap when I was too young to reach the pedals. He ran the pedals and I steered and shifted.

Mom took over with the boring automatics. At least I wasn't sitting on her lap.:D

Then in high school. Wasn't sitting on the teachers lap either.

8. Brendan

Brendan Tele-Holic

Sears Driving School! My parents made me take it so they could get an insurance discount. White AMC Gremlin with red trim. The grumpy lightened up over time.

9. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Holic

Good ol downtown laurel Maryland

Fretting out likes this.
  10. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

High school, from a "teacher" who was actually a sportsball coach.

11. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I grabbed a cancellation on both my bike and car tests (1976). I had one hour in the car before my test. :D Passed them both first go.

I didn't own a car for another 12 years though.

As for school, we never even got offered the old Cycling Proficiency course...

12. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

In High School, but teacher was upset to learn I had been driving back roads in a stick shift Ford with dad since I was 12 or so.

Fretting out likes this.
  13. bigbreak

bigbreak Tele-Meister

I didn't. I went to the DMV and got my permit and license on the same day. I figured, hey, I'm here, I might as well give it a shot, and I passed. That was 1970.

Fretting out likes this.
  14. TheCaffeinatedOne

TheCaffeinatedOne TDPRI Member

I took Driver's Ed in high school. I really learned to drive when I was 13 or 14 driving around a formerly - dead Studebaker in the pasture where I lived. My first experience behind the wheel happened when I was 6 years old; my uncle stopped by for a visit in his brand new '61 Thunderbird. A couple of hours later I was sitting in his lap (my feet couldn't reach the pedals), driving down Route 44 with eyes wide as saucers.

Back to Driver's Ed. It was a class after school. The instructor was the shop class teacher and lived in the country past my house. So a bunch of us who lived out there got to drive home. Once I did so in a snow and ice storm. The instructor suggested he take over, but I asked for an opportunity to learn about winter driving. He relented.

We approached a long hill and the road surface had turned to ice. The instructor was tense as the dickens; I cribbed the vehicle to the right, and to the left, and back as we slowly spun our way up the hill. It felt wonderful - not only beating the ice and hill, but proving the point to the skeptical instructor. Good times.

15. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

I did my driving instruction/test in the Army. Started in a Austin Champ (similar to a Willys Jeep) which also included dragging a trailer and reversing up narrow lanes. Then to driving an Austin 1 ton truck also with trailer and having to reverse up narrow lanes etc. Then the Army Bedford 3 ton truck which had a 10 ton civilian capacity, plus the trailer etc.
    I later got to driving the Tank Transporters, an old Diamond T with a long trailer with two Centurion Tanks on board. And now I drive a Nissan X-Trail.. S

Fretting out likes this.
  16. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

High school in the summer of 76. Had a little course in the parking lot, then on the road. We had simulators too.

Fretting out likes this.
  17. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My dad started teaching me when I was about 14 . He and my uncle had a plumbing business and they had a '55 Studebaker that they kept at the shop for a spare truck . It had an automatic so my dad started me on that before moving me up to his '62 Ford with the 3 on the tree . Also my older brother took me out a few times in his '62 Corvair , it had a 4 on the floor , so by the time I actually took driver's ed at school in the fall of '69 I was a pretty fair driver , but we had one guy in our car that scared the crap out of us when he got behind the wheel . The school's car was a new Ford Torino ( Gran Torino ? Maybe , it went like a bat out of hell ! ) So by the time my birthday came in March I just went downtown and passed with flying colors . After that I drove that Stude as much as I could , man I loved that truck ...

P Thought and Fretting out like this.
  18. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

It was a class in high school.

Fretting out likes this.
  19. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

High School Drivers Ed Class. But my first license had my name and address handwritten on a form filled out by the DMV examiner and had no photo.

Fretting out likes this.
  20. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I went to HS overseas so of course no drivers ed was offered. Neither of my older kids (35 and 32) took it and my youngest just left for university without ever taking it or getting her driver's license.

Fretting out likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.