1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Where did you take drivers ed?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fretting out, Aug 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Holic

It was easy method driving school at Montgomery wards.
    I could have taken it at school but I wanted my license as quick as possible. The teacher the first day told us we would pass his class as everyone passed.I actually think at break time he was going outside with a couple of stoners and catching a buzz.It was in 1976.

We had a paper license and when you actually took the driving test at the DMV they mailed you another different colored license.
    The very first evening after passing I was in a McDonald's parking lot,got out with the car out of gear, it rolled down a hill and smashed into a big dumpster right in front of a cop.
    A few hours later I got pulled over for going up the wrong way on a one way street.
    It was a small town and both officers knew me so it wasn't a big deal.

Fretting out likes this.
  2. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

11th grade. Coach C. W. Keopple was the drivers ed instructor. We called him "C. W. Killpeople".

Fretting out likes this.
  3. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I may have taken driver's ed in high school as I posted earlier, but I had a lot of experience driving boats at a young age having grown up in Florida.

I grew up in South and Central Florida. Most of my youth was spent in Winter Haven, FL. There are over 50 lakes in and around Winter Haven and most are connected by canals.

I think I was about 10 when my dad started letting my brothers and I take turns steering our boat through the canals.

Takes some coordination between throttle and wheel to not smack the walls of a canal :) The skills I learned driving boats for years before I ever got behind the wheel of a car translated.

I also hold a Private Pilot's license and routinely got comments from instructors on my throttle and stick control. I think it all goes back to those years of piloting our boats...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Fretting out likes this.
  4. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

I graduated HS in '69 in Southern California, and like many here have posted was able to take advantage of free drivers education in school before turning 16. A local car dealer would donate cars, in my case a '68 Olds Cutlass equipped with an additional brake pedal on the passenger side for the instructor.
    After getting my license, my real instruction came by driving the S.California freeway system.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

The moto of the Southern California freeway system is GET TOUGH OR DIE! You have not graduated until you can make twelve lane changes across six lanes, and end up back where you started at 83mph during a traffic slowdown.

Fretting out and suave eddie like this.
  6. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Freshman year of High School. 1968.

Fretting out likes this.
  7. Chuckboy

Chuckboy Tele-Meister

K-Mart parking lot in January in Connecticut during a hard freeze following a deep snow fall.
    My father in the front passenger seat telling me to do really crazy, nerve-wracking stuff and then telling me over and over "See? See what you did? See how you got out of it? Now, let's go home. You drive."

Fretting out likes this.
  8. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

Parkway School, Jamaica, NY. Driver’s Ed wasn’t offered in the NYC high schools at the time. Had to pay for it - insurance reductions made it doable.

Fretting out likes this.
  9. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

We had an (optional) 6-week class in high school. It was in a dark room in the basement, taught by a gym teacher. You could literally sleep through it if you wanted to. Same deal with Sex Ed.

The good thing about taking drivers ed in school was that you didn't have to take the road test at the DMV, just the written test. I think my parents had to vouch that I had a certain number of hours behind the wheel with them as well.

In reality, my dad taught me to drive in a parking lot in an '83 Buick Skylark. A couple years after that, we went back to the same parking lot so I could learn to drive stick, as we had just gotten an old Jeep Wrangler.

Fretting out likes this.
  10. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Where was the Montgomery ward?, the one my father went to was at Harford mall in Bel air

11. Toto'sDad

One thing about driving a big rig on the southern California freeway system, is if you hit a car, and it doesn't get caught up under your wheels, you can just keep right on trucking. Reason being, the Lookie Lous will be so busy looking at the car rolling around out there on the super slab they won't even remember if you were hauling logs or dogs. (reporting for a friend)

electrichead and suave eddie like this.
  12. myteleplaysjazz

myteleplaysjazz Tele-Meister

I took driver's ed in High School. We got an elective credit for it too. They had these stupid simulators that we sat at before you could get behind the wheel of a real car. They were the most un-realistic machines ever made. We used to try to crash into each other on the sims, when the teacher wasn't looking.

Fretting out likes this.
  13. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

From Yo Mama

Edit: all seriousness aside, my dad taught me how to operate a car, my mom taught me to drive one, and driver's training was part of high school.

14. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

sitting on a faded red Massey Ferguson Tractor discing a corn field at 5:00 a.m freezing my butt off

Wallo Tweed and Fretting out like this.
  15. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

In a small, windowless, multipurpose room, inside a Sears department store that we learned about a month after I graduated was structurally unstable and was condemned. Sadly, none of that was a joke.

Fretting out likes this.
  16. suave eddie

I always wondered how tourists and newcomers navigated those freeways. To get almost anywhere required you to change freeways multiple times and you had to know in advance what lane to be in and usually had to cut across 6 lanes of busy traffic to get it right. I've gone back to visit a few times in the last 10 years or so and it's worse every time--I hate driving there.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

So Cal freeways are FUN to drive compared to San Francisco and the surrounding area, at least for truckers they are simply a nightmare.

18. suave eddie

I moved from L.A. to S.F. and then to Santa Rosa. I'm familiar with all those areas. I can't imagine driving a big rig in S.F.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Learned at highscholl in 1980. The class had two sections: "simulator" and "behind the wheel".

"Simulator" featured a whole room mock cars and a projected film which looked like this.

[​IMG]

Your performance was monitored by some kind of early computer. I was "racing" the guy next to me and we both got clipped for "going over 90".

The "Behind the Wheel" segment involved driving around town with a football coach and 2 other students.

The cars were donated by local dealers and were usually models that they couldn't sell. I was lucky - we had a bright yellow Pontiac Firebird. Not much demand in the small town I grew up in.

Many of us accidentally chirpped the tires pulling away from stop signs. I believe it had a 350 and absolutely no leg room in the back.

[​IMG]

P Thought and Fretting out like this.
  20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I tip my hat to you.

Soon as this confusion is over, I pledge to myself to get back out there and get some high end instruction.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.