1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Where did you take drivers ed?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fretting out, Aug 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. xland

xland Tele-Meister

It was offered in high school.

2. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

they used to offer one here that was drivers education for ticket dismissal that employed local comics. they weren't too funny in retrospect and I guess why they was working a drivers ed class..

3. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

In my jr high school, we used the same track that the track events were run on.

We had to do a figure 8 in reverse in order to pass.

They also had classroom simulators that looked like bumper cars with 1965 Ford Falcon dash and steering wheel and we "Drove" while watching a movie screen.

Plenty of actual street time too.

This was 55 years ago, but I remember it being a whole semester class rather than just a few weeks.

I already had my operator license by that time.

I just took it for fun.

Fretting out likes this.
  4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I took drivers ed from a good friend of mine. I was eleven he was thirteen, almost fourteen. He showed up at my little shack at Thorsen's camp and said come on TD I'm gonna show you how to drive. He had his daddy's old black forty Ford coupe. He brought along a pillow and scooted the seat up. He took me out on Driver Road and got me started on driving. I got a job in a gas station when I was twelve, and since I was an old hand at driving, I got to move the cars around that we were servicing. By the time I was fourteen I knew how to drive enough my momma and I chopped cotton that summer, and we bought a '52 De Sota. $250 out the door, and I became the drivers ed director, 'cause I took my momma out to the same road I learned to drive on, and taught her how to drive.

5. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

In high school on the Navajo reservation... Lots of miles of long straight roads. To find out our reaction time the dr. Ed car was equipped with 22 shell filed with yellow powder. When the teacher pulled a string it would fire that powder onto the pavement. As soon as you heard the pop you had to jump on the breaks as hard as you could. Then we would get out and measure your distance....All done at a 30mph consistent speed. It was a gas!!!

Fretting out and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Most recent driving course was at FLETC in Cheltenham, Maryland. High speed maneuvers and non-emergency driving. It was a job requirement.

Fretting out and boris bubbanov like this.
  7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

My dear Dad in a K-Mart parking lot on Sunday when it was closed.

Fretting out likes this.
  8. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

My grandfather bought me a motorbike when I was 14... that putted the venom inside

Then my dad did the same.

But as I could ride a motorbike, all the shaft, gear, brakes thing was almost the same

Then this

I drove my motorbike, had to park it not in sight with the License Office and got it

Since then I always had a motorbike... and the cheapest, ****tyest piece of junk car I could get

Fretting out and tery like this.
  9. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Holic

I took my test in Cambridge 1975. I had a couple of lessons and booked my test but got a cancellation so in all I only had about four lessons. Somehow passed first time.

Work that on out........

beagle and Fretting out like this.
  10. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Afflicted

1977 central Florida. High school had a "relationship" with the local Chrysler dealer, and a low speed driving range with 10 cars. The instructor would let us get away with murder, and actually taught me how to do a Rockford turn. Good fun.

Fretting out likes this.
  11. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

High school , Oakland Mills in Columbia , Maryland taking it during what was supposed to be gym class.

Fretting out likes this.
  12. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Afflicted

I didn't take it, my mother and step-dad taught me.

Fretting out likes this.
  13. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Same here. We rented some land about 5 miles from home, and it was fine for me to drive trucks there and back when I was 12. When I was 14or 15 I asked my dad if I could take his pickup to visit my girlfriend Saturday night. He told me in no way could I do that cause I was too young to drive.

Fretting out likes this.
  14. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I took driver’s ed at Uniondale High School as a summer course before my summer job. The cars were underpowered intermediate size Dodge models with overboosted steering and brakes. We drove through the streets trying to avoid parked cars or getting yelled at. My father is really the one who taught me to drive... in a 1963 Pontiac Bonneville with a 421 with a 4 bbl. The driver’s ed Dodges took forever to get up to speed. A 2 ton Bonneville got to highway speed almost instantly but could barely be slowed down once it got going. And it couldn’t be turned without slowing down. Learning to drive, it felt wider than a lane on the Seaford-Otster Bay Expressway. It felt half a football field long. The interior was as big as my bedroom, perfect for my first car date after getting my license. :cool:

Fretting out likes this.
  15. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

Our driver's ed class was at the high school in the summer. To my knowledge, it was free. I had several of my best friends in the class and remembered having a great time. One of my friends was a horrible driver and I was surprised they gave him his license. He subsequently totaled two cars before he turned 18, one of which was an old Lincoln Continental or Town Car that he rolled.

Fretting out likes this.
  16. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

High school for me.

Fretting out likes this.
  17. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I never took drivers ed. My buddy, who was 6 months older and already had his license, went out driving with me a couple times, and then I went and took the test. I thought the whole thing was pretty easy, even the parallel parking.

Fretting out likes this.
  18. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

1983 in ATHENS .
    I refused to bribe the examiner (although my mom has given me the money in order to do it) and "failed" the test (although I have been driving TRUCKS in my father's business since I was 15.... so I didn't really need any lessons...I could drive much better than the examiner ....).

My mom scolded me (her driver's license was delivered at home without her even having to take the driving test during the 60s...and she is still a danger to society when she drives :) like most Greeks :( )

I took the exam again a month later and this time I passed..(bribing was necessary to take your DL with the first try)

Yep life in a public servant dictatorship like Greece wasn't (and still isn't) easy...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Fretting out likes this.
  19. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

Taught myself to drive by stealing my parent's car when they were out - at least one night, almost every weekend. Took driver's ed in high school in one of those cars with the extra brake pedal for the instructor. He didn't have the same confidence in my abilities that I did, so he was always stomping on his pedal. No seat belts in those days, so everyone was pretty shoo up by the time my turn was over.

mngsp and Fretting out like this.
  20. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Dad had a '37 Chevy flat bed. I drove in circles in the field for days, weeks and months.

Fretting out and boris bubbanov like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.