1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Where did you take drivers ed?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fretting out, Aug 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

west texas high school in 1970 we had to watch a film called "death on the highway"
    it was a six week course and it was way better than the "lessons" i took with my dad slapping me in the back of the head when I had trouble with the clutch on his v.w. bug

nojazzhere and Fretting out like this.
  2. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

High School 1964 in a 1950 Chevrolet 3 on the tree manual transmission. Highway 35 or some number was the movie of car wrecks they showed us. The driver's ED teacher usually told us where to go and then fell asleep. Always had the teacher and three student drivers. Can't imagine the issues that would cause now.

JL_LI and Fretting out like this.
  3. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Holic

My buddy and I went to a fly-by-night driving school because we heard it was easy and they passed everyone. The only thing I remember was this really cute Pentecostal girl. Wonder whatever happened to her.

4. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Very few of my generation could afford to learn to drive or run a car at 17. After graduating from university I got a job in London, where a car would have been a liability. I cycled between ten and twelve thousand miles a year, used trains, the tube and buses for the rest. At thirty we moved to the countryside and I took a dozen or so driving lessons. When my eldest daughter was born I was still waiting to take my driving test. With my wife in labour, I drove the car to the maternity hospital, bike on the roof rack, whilst she supervised my driving. I left the car at the hospital and cycled home. A few days later I cycled to the hospital, and drove my wife and daughter back home. The next week I passed my test.

5. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

My Dad, would throw us the keys to some serious Detroit Iron ...

He preferred, at minimum, a 400 cubic inch GM power plant...

Olds and Buick, more than Chevy ...

You had to be easy on the go pedal ...

Burnouts and poor gas mileage resulted on a regular basis ...

Not to mention the 90 plus speeds on the freeway ....

Fretting out likes this.
  6. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I had an in-the-classroom drivers ed. in high school, but the behind the wheel part was taught to me by my Dad.

Dad drove me to Harrisburg, PA on my 16th birthday to get my permit. When the permit expired, I drove to the local PA State Police Barracks, took a driving test under the scrutiny of a state trooper, and was issued a license.

Fretting out likes this.
  7. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

drivers ed was offered curriculum when I was a sophomore in high school; got my license @ age 15 :lol:

then I went on to obtain several tickets & destroy a couple of vehicles within short order :D

being a teenager in the mid 1970s was da BOMB !!!!!!!! :cool: ................ and gasoline was .25 cents a gallon :p

nojazzhere and Fretting out like this.
  8. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

What a time!

When I got my license it was almost like what I imagine the gas crisis was like (except there was no shortage) if I recall correctly a gallon was about 5 dollars

Which is a lot in these parts hasn’t been that high again since

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  9. DLReed

DLReed Tele-Meister

I took drivers ed. in high school between my sophomore and junior year. I loved every minute of it because I was stationed in a car with 3 girls, one of whom I was sure I was going to marry! Alas, that did not happen but it was certainly a memorable time.
    It was 2000 when I turned 16 and I couldn't wait to start driving.

10. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

For me it was in the early 80s at Francis Howell High School in Weldon Spring, MO. The Driver’s Ed car was a new four-cylinder Chevy Citation with an automatic transmission.

After failing my first license test in Washington, MO (in my mom’s ‘81 Ford Fairmont wagon, 2.3L four and a four speed, for backing up without checking behind me (!), I practiced not being a dumbass some more and then passed on my second attempt in Warrenton, MO.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I remember the name. He was more of an AMA guy and we were FAI people, and he was from the South and my Dad flew with Northerners, Texans and those Out West until the early 1970s and by then Perryman was out of competition. But I think Tommy McLaughlin knew him real well. So this means my Dad won a huge U-Control contest in Toronto years before Perryman got rolling, and we were still competing for the USA Free Flight Team in F1C in the early 2000s. I suspect that's because my Dad often chased his own models, on foot, during testing and often during competition and this forces you to remain much fitter. There's a guy named Bob Sifleet who competed in 2 or even three events, and it meant he had to have Olympic quality fitness - you were in motion non-stop.

My brother and I were on hand with the Plymouth wagon, to chase when the model got caught in a Boomer and the huge thermal was taking the model so high you could barely make it out. This is when flying Canards saved the day (since my vision was not great). The Canard circled in the opposite direction and I could hardly explain if I lost sight of it. Later, I switched to motorcycles for chasing.

We were expected as kids, to have decent, basic understanding of aeronautics and other complex machines - it would have simply been goofy if we couldn't drive a simple pickup or car. I released the parking brake and let a Ford roll down the driveway into the street at age 4, while everyone else was indoors.

12. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

I never took Driver’s Ed.

At 13, they tossed me the keys to a Chevy pickup with farm plates and told me to drive back to the barn and get something.

It was standard shift on the column and I’d never driven a four-wheeled vehicle before. Just dirt bikes. But, I did it, and that was that.

At 16, I went to town and got my license, and once I had it Dad handed me the keys to a 1967 Chevelle Malibu convertible.

So, that’s what happened in my case. No Driver’s Ed.

Fretting out likes this.
  13. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I took classes at the old Polytechnic High School in Ft Worth. We were on a family vacation from Meridian and the opportunity presented itself. I had already been “driving” with dad in a ‘64 Karman Ghia with a manual transmission. I remember being put off with an automatic in the whatever Chevy that were using. More than once I tapped the brake pedal trying to push in a nonexistent clutch.

Got my learners permit in Texas and my real license in Mississippi 3 weeks later

Fretting out likes this.
  14. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

From my grandfather, who had been a PA state trooper back when the State troopers administered the test. He was a loving man who I still think of fondly every day, but his style was best described as "less than gentle." It was in a ford maverick, early 70s, stick shift and no power steering

Formal driver's ed was not a requirement in PA at the time

Fretting out likes this.
  15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I have a great story about my driver's Ed class. Our high school was donated a '70 Ford LTD and a '69 Dodge Charger for driver training. I drew the Charger with my young PE swim coach that liked me.:) This song ran through my head every morning before my drive Ed class:

Fretting out likes this.
  16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

For Driver's Ed, we had a bunch of mostly 1970 Impala four doors that were unsold inventory or something and so GM donated them for the tax write off.

But first, there was the Written, classroom part of the test and it counted a huge amount. And I got the highest grade, maybe a 99. This was probably a mistake since it didn't matter how I fared on the actual driving part of the test. Anyway, the school district took pity on some balding slacker who was only a few years older than the students, who was a Chevy fanatic even though he didn't know a darned thing. While my best friend's Dad was a foreman at the Tonawanda engine plant for GM and we built and rebuilt motors all the time, and were active in street racing and did sophisticated restoration of older cars. I got careless and humiliated this "driving instructor" for his abject lack of GM knowledge and he tried to make my life impossible behind the wheel. He'd demand I turn left onto a one way street where the traffic was coming out, or call out for a lane change when someone was flanking me. Hard to tell, who was being more juvenile - him or me. My driving, others said, was fine, but me and the instructor yelling at one another made everyone very nervous.

In the end, he gave me an F on the driving portion of the course, but I still got a C+ if I remember right. He was not invited back the next year.

I took the final driver's test in Lockport, NY though I had spent little time there. The test was easy, but not knowing the lay of the land where the test was administered? Not recommended. Do your reconnaissance in advance, kids.

Fretting out likes this.
  17. cat dude

cat dude Tele-Meister

NYC

Fretting out likes this.
  18. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Drivers ed. ? Guess I missed that one.
    I learned to drive back in the mountains on dirt roads

Fretting out likes this.
  19. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I took Drivers Ed at Payette (Idaho) High School in the winter (December and January) of '72/'73. It was an extremely hard winter that year. It started snowing heavily in early October and continued through the first half of April. I did my hands on training on thick snow and ice pack with both automatic and standard transmission cars.. I got my license at the end of January and drove until the 3rd week of April before I ever experienced driving on a dry road. As a result I have never had an issue with winter driving. Just have to be mindful of all the outlanders.

Fretting out likes this.
  20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It was high school, for me.
    1973, I was a junior.
    I loved driver’s ed, there was some other guy, and two beautiful girls, Donna and Cindy.
    The instructor looked like Foster Brooks, and the car was a brand new light green Ford LTD.
    Donna and Cindy were charming, and “peasant blouses” were in.
    Every time I hear Drift Away, My Love Does It Good, and Jerry Lee Lewis’ Wine, Wine, Wine (70’s version), I’m back there again.
    Funny the stuff you remember, eh?
    I’ve had a driver’s license for 47 years!
    Speak up sonny, I can’t hear ya’!

Harry Styron and Fretting out like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.