1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Where did you take drivers ed?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fretting out, Aug 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Like another member mentioned it seems like more of a hassle to kids these days or it’s un-hip

I’ve heard from people I know that their driving age kids have no desire to get a license

I don’t know if this is common or not

Lawdawg and Dismalhead like this.
  2. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    In a big old maroon Olds 98. Freeport HS, Freeport IL. The instructor was the head football coach. Summer of ‘67.

BIG CAR.

210D93F6-1DC4-4F0B-88E6-5DE498E6DD4E.jpeg

Imagine a 15 year old piloting that thing with a sleeping All Big 10 lineman snoozing away in the passenger seat.

I survived...he survived

3. Fretting out

The school disciplinarian? Is that like the person with the paddle with the holes drilled in it

4. Fretting out

And my parents thought the 89 Cadillac deville I bought before drivers Ed was too big to do the test in woe!

5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

One of my daughters was like me wanting her license as quick as she could, the other waited until she was 23 and just sees driving as a necessary thing. My oldest grandson just turned 17 and so far he has no interest in driving.

Fretting out likes this.
  6. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

I'm from the Netherlands and you are not allowed to start taking lessons until you are 18. You need at least 10-12 one hour lessons, taken from a professional driving lesson school. If the instructor thinks you are ready, you can apply for a driving exam. This includes a rigorous theoretical exam and once you pass that, you get in the car with an inspector (or whatever it is called in English) and drive around town for 30-45 minutes. If you make a small mistake, you could fail and take more lessons and then the exam again. Lessons are expensive too.

Lots of lessons, and still lots of morons and idiots on the roads.

This is all over 30 years ago, so it could be different now.

Fretting out and tery like this.
  7. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I took drivers ed in high school. I started working on a farm when I was 15 and drove tractors and large grain trucks. By the time I took the actual driving test, it was pretty easy.

Wallo Tweed and Fretting out like this.
  8. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I parked cars on my Dad's used car lot starting at about 12yo. He let me drive in the country before that. Took driver's education in summer school.

Driver's Ed story? We switched driver's on the shoulder of the interstate...me now at the wheel. The instructor says to the whole car "do not be timid when entering the interstate...more speed is better." Then he says "floor it" which I was more than happy to oblige...some mid 70s Chevelle V8 sedan. We squealed rubber and spew gravel...he gathers his composure and looks to the three in the back seat "see, that's how I want you to do it."

I'd been driving my Dad's muscle cars, so a piece of cake.

9. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

I'm not sure how common this really is, but I do think there are fewer kids getting their license immediately. When my friends and I reached driving age back in the mid-80s, we couldn't wait to get our driver's license.

10. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

My Dad taught me ...

And my race driver buddies gave me a few good tips

tery likes this.
  11. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Not uncommon around here. Many prefer to be chauffeured so they do not lose their place on social media.

Lawdawg and Fretting out like this.
  12. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Afflicted

From my Dad and Uncle in a Montgomery Ward parking lot.

tery and Fretting out like this.
  13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I remember a kid named Tibor Stotz (real name!) who was in back, window down with his arm out the window, and the student driving grazed a mailbox and Tibor very nearly lost his arm- pulled it in just at the last second. High School Driver's Education, Summer school - the usual deal.

Anyway, I had been driving for years, on closed military bases and various airstrips because we were a Free Flight Model Airplane Family. And we drove freely in abandoned pastures and in orchards and etc. "Field Cars" that would not pass official inspection but still drove, handled and stopped fine.

14. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

The empty streets in the eastern part of the county. Picture miles of empty subdivision streets with one house every ten blocks maybe.

My dad started taking me out there when I was 11 and teaching me how to drive. Learned to drive stick before anything else. I never actually had Drivers Ed.

Fretting out likes this.
  15. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Learned in my dad's Ford Falcon when I was about 14, but took a free driver's ed class one summer at my High School to get an insurance discount. The instructors were gym teachers/coaches. Most of the cars were automatics, but there was one VW that a cute girl and I were assigned because we could drive standard. There was a course set up in the parking lot and we were always being told to slow down, to break going into corners rather than downshifting, etc. She & I occasionally ran the course in reverse, just because.

The road experiences tended to be chauffeuring the instructors somewhere in a 1970s era Crown Vic Police Interceptor. We took turns driving there and back being timed against each other with points being subtracted for causing coffee spills. For those familiar with Northern Virginia, the posted speed limit on 495 was 75.

Fretting out likes this.
  16. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

High School Drivers Ed. Taught by a couple of the Football Coaches. Fun, easy class.

Of course, I'd been driving since I was 10 or 11. My next older brother had a Corvair Monza Turbo and he was into film-making. He and I took off the hood (bonnet) and he taught me how to shift. He sat in the trunk (up front where the hood had been removed) with a Super 8 movie camera and I drove. I think I had to sit on a phonebook so I could see out. We drove thru the neighborhood while he filmed the whole thing in fast-motion. We also did stop-motion animation where I drove up the street without a car, just sitting. Fun in 1968...

Also got to drive anytime we went to the model-airplane field. This was a former airport, plenty of space. Dad would drive us there and then when we needed to go fetch a downed model, I got to drive the little '63 Buick Special wagon. When I got to be 15, Dad took me out and taught me to parallel park...in a '73 Buick Electra 225. That thing was two city blocks long and just barely would fit into one lane. Scared the crap outta me on 2-lane country roads and bridges...but I'm still here!

17. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I took driver's ed in high school. In Idaho, the legal age for a driver's license was 14, until the year I was to turn 14. They increased the age to 16. Something happened and I think all the farmers got pissed off about their kids not being able to legally drive farm trucks when they were perfectly capable of it, so a compromise was reached and I got to get my license at 15. However, I had already been driving a dump truck (4-speed manual with high and low ranges) regularly for eight years by that point, and learned on a tractor two years before I started in the truck. Farm dirt bikes by age ten, while all my friends rode cool motocross bikes.

The hardest part about taking driver's ed was having to quit driving for the duration of the course, which was something like six weeks long (one class per week for six weeks, with actual driving time taking place between class sessions). If you got caught driving without the instructor, you would by law be removed from the class and prohibited from retaking the class or getting your driver's license for a certain amount of time. I actually waited till winter to take the class so I wouldn't have to stop driving during the summer or through harvest.

Fretting out likes this.
  18. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Reminds me of a local free flight guru George Perryman and his "Great Speckled Bird" models. He chased in his Cadilliac, bounding over the fields like a maniac. Great fun. I still love FF.

19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

High School for most of you guys??????
    In Texas, you could get your "learner's permit" at thirteen (with classroom part of driver's ed) and they taught that (free) in Junior High. The coaches taught it during spring semester of PE.....then you paid something like $10 for the driving part in the summer. A car dealer provided cars for us, with the extra brake pedal for the instructor. THEN......when everyone finished that part (and I think everyone passed) they held mass driving tests for us students. Every Saturday for the summer, as each "session" completed Driver's Ed, the Texas DPS would come to TCU's stadium parking lot, we'd have the provided cars to drive, and they'd test us all. If you passed, they would issue a temp permit right there. If you didn't pass, you had to wait thirty days, and then re-test.
    My best friend (and my bass player) was a real "smart-a**" and was determined to make a perfect score on the driving test. When it came to parallel parking, they had wooden posts set up to emulate cars, and you had to park between them. Joe (my buddy) pulled up too close to the posts, and as he began backing up to pull in, he caught a post with the protruding door handle. Oops!...that constituted a "wreck", and instant test failure......he had to wait thirty days. I got a bad score on parallel parking, but I still passed the test overall.......sometimes "close but no cigar" is actually better than TOO close and NO CIGAR...;)
    Added.....I didn't mean to imply Texas still has the same laws now as we had in the mid-1960's. By the time my daughter was learning to drive in the mid-eighties, I believe you had to be sixteen to take driver's ed, and then when my grandson was learning in 2012-13, everything was online. I grew up in a completely different reality than today.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  20. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

nojazzhere and rangercaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.