1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Where did you take drivers ed?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fretting out, Aug 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

specifically the older members here

My father always tells me story’s about taking drivers ed at Montgomery Ward

I got wondering if any of you older fellows took drivers ed somewhere that would be considered odd these days

Do you have any cool old school drivers ed stories?

I just went to a community college for my lessons

2. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I took driver's education in High School, in Coral Gables, Florida.

I learned to drive in downtown Miami in a brand new at the time Olds Cutlass Supreme :)

Our school had just gotten a small fleet of them. We all felt pretty cool tooling around Miami in them.

Our instructor would let us drive to a donut shop in downtown Miami and we would pick up a dozen and bring them back to class.

I have pretty cool memories of driver's ed...:cool:

telestratosonic and Fretting out like this.
  3. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I just drove to town and got my license .

LeftFinger, beagle, El Marin and 6 others like this.
  4. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

It was 1957 and I was 10 years old when my father began putting me behind the wheel of his 1951 Ford convertible. If drivers ed. existed we didn't know about it.

5. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Took driver's ed at school. The driving portion of driver's ed was quite harrowing. One of the student's in my group was apparently the inspiration for Bob Newhart's famous driving instructor routine.

6. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Some driver's ed classes were offered at the High School I went to in Colorado. However, not many kids wanted to go that route, as the teacher was one of the PE teachers with a very short temper and long chip on his shoulder.

The basic approach for most of us was that you drive out into the country on roads with zero or little traffic, Dad hands you the keys and teaches you to drive. It was stick shift at the time. Various phrases were used to teach the use of the clutch. Some color or biblical references may have been involved, at least at first.

all kids are different, though. I taught my daugher pretty much the same way, when she was 14. My son was not even interested until he was 17. Go figure.

Telecastoff1, tery and Fretting out like this.
  7. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

I had an instructor from Taggart's Driving School with a dual-wheeled AMC something or other. My instructor had massive hypertension from teaching crazed newbie teenage drivers -- like me. :eek:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Bassman8, Lawdawg and Fretting out like this.
  8. Fretting out

Excuse my ignorance, did you have to pass a test to get your license?

9. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

Dominican Commercial High School, Jamaica, NY.

Fretting out likes this.
  10. DaveG_NJ

DaveG_NJ Tele-Meister

Took Driver's Ed at high school. It was taught by the school Disciplinarian (at title that cannot possibly exist today). It was not mandatory, but you got a discount on your insurance if you did. This was in PA. Took my test and got my license on my 16th birthday. No restrictions.

Cars were freedom then. Now, they're appliances and kids would rather Uber.

11. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

East Burke High School in Connelly Springs, North Carolina during the summer of 88. It lasted a week or two. Can't remember.

Fretting out likes this.
  12. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Henry Ford HS in Detroit Mi. We actually had a track behind the high school with stop lights and stop signs and Dodge would donate a bunch of new cars every year set up so we could only drive 15 miles an hour. I don’t know when all that ended but I’m sure it was in the mid 70’s. I tell you what we all want a 1970 Challenger after that class!

Matt G, Telecastoff1, mngsp and 3 others like this.
  13. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    Parkville, MD. Right next door to Harford liquors and Racer's Cafe. 1984.

14. Fretting out

Cool!

I didn’t get to experience the dual wheeled cars

We used a Ford Focus with a break pedal on the teachers side

If there was an inkling of trouble they’d stomp on that bad boy and scare the heck out of you

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Sure thing! First you got a Learner's Permit, in which you pass a written test and then you get a short-term permit to operate a vehicle, but only with a Licensed Driver onboard. Typically a 3-month or 6-month deal. I think, but could be wrong, you at least had to demonstrate to the examiner that you knew where all the pedals were, how the turn signals and headlights worked, etc.

No sooner than your 16th birthday, when you were ready, the State of Colorado, through the Division of Motor Vehicles administered both a written and practical exam. Even if you took a Driver's Ed class, you would still have to do the physical driving test for the State. There was a little office in town, up on Canyon Boulevard.

A parent would bring you to that office and you wait for an examiner. You get in, with the examiner riding shotgun, and then drive around town a bit, turning here, turning there and then return to the office where you demonstrate your parallel parking skills.

If you pass, congrats, you are turned loose on the public! If not, you're still in your learner's permit. I don't recall the rest of the process, the only flaw I had was apparently signalling for a turn too soon! Too soon? Well, whatever. He said turn, I flipped the blinker.

Telecastoff1 and Fretting out like this.
  16. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

High school, and it was free. It was one semester of your Junior year, and which semester depended on your birthday. I got my permit on the day I turned 15 1/2 and my license on my 16th birthday. Back then it was something most of us couldn't wait for.

getbent and Fretting out like this.
  17. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

Early to mid 70's in North Georgia there was no formal drivers education, in schools or otherwise.

Dismalhead and Fretting out like this.
  18. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's

The farm. Tractors at 8, trucks by 10 or so. Drivers test just meant going 30 on black pavement instead of on green grass.

19. Fretting out

Interesting, here at least we did all the practical “road and highway” driving in drivers ed

At the DMV for the license test they have a little road course with stop signs and a space for parallel parking you never even leave the DMV’s lot

So pretty much you just physically show what you write on the test

They always trip you up with the too soon and such deal

teletimetx likes this.
  20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

1976 at a boarding HS in Richmond, VA

My teacher was the school's head Coach ( soccer was our main sport) and the cars were either a '75 Cutlass or '75 Grand Am.
    The coach liked me...
    (note: out of the required 8 hrs. of ' behind the wheel,' he let me go after 3, as my dad taught me how to drive on a 1971 Maverick!)
    ... and I remember when attempting a
    3-Point turn, when I was done, he told me:
    There are 8 possible mistakes you can make in a 3-point turn. Chiocca, you made 11!"

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.