1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Where did I go wrong?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by NateM, Mar 28, 2012.

1. NateM

NateM TDPRI Member

Hi All,

I was routing a Stratocaster body on the router table,I know some of you will say that this was the beginning of my troubles, and everything was going great. I had used a robosander to bring the body to within 1mm-3mm of the line.

I was going around the small horn when the body kicked back, and hard. It delaminated some of the growth rings and lifted the bit up out of my router slightly. The same thing happened on the other horn before I decided I really needed to understand what was going on before things went further south.

I was not doing a climb cut, and was moving the bit clockwise about the strat (to avoid all climb cutting). I thought I had removed enough material but maybe I was trying to do too much at once. The bit is a carbide downcut spiral from Eagle so I wouldn't think I'm suffering from quality.

My guess, was that I was trying to take off too much material at once, and the bit grabbed. Another thing I have been considering, is that the bit grabbed because of the grain orientation and my bit speed/feed rate weren't totally kosher.

What do you think?

2. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

Wow...dangerous! Did it damage the body beyond repair?

3. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    You should have been using an upcut bit. Are you sure you have the terminology correct?

This is an upcut bit... even though in the table it cuts in a downward direction.

[​IMG]

I always sand right to the line. The line is on the outside of the template so get right up to it. I want to see the line and only the line... no wood beyond.

I see people here all the time routing off way too much wood. That's when you have problems.

4. NateM

NateM TDPRI Member

You are right jkingma, it is an upcut bit. Sorry for the confusion. I knew I was going to mess that up at some point here.

I will sand much closer in the future. I definitely don't want to experience this again!

fretman_2: It definitely caught my attention! The body is salvageable though it will have a bit more reconstructive surgery in the form of wood filler than originally intended.

Thanks for the suggestions!

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I've always flush trimmed in increments of .25-.5 at a time, to avoid tear out. Some guys have had some luck with a spiral bit to do the whole thing at one time... but I can't speak about that since I've never done it.

6. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd say your problem was twofold. Your depth of cut was probably too great and you weren't holding on tight.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  7. andrewdoeshair

andrewdoeshair Tele-Meister

This is how I avoid that. Get a bit with two bearings, cut "downhill" only. These pics should help.
    [​IMG]
    Raise the bit, flip the workpiece
    [​IMG]

8. old_picker

old_picker Tele-Afflicted

your bit is fine - i use one of these and do a body in one go
    getting it down to 1mm is critical 3mm is too much
    i use a spindle sander and take it doiwn to almost nothing around the horn

some woods are real beeches to rout as well
    aussie blackwood being one - anything really hard
    these should be sanded right down to almost nothing on sa spindle sander
    roouter just cleans up and takes very little more than the sanding marks

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.