Where could I have grill cloth replaced?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by PeteGalaxie, Sep 9, 2018.

1. PeteGalaxie

PeteGalaxie Tele-Meister

I changed grill cloth once on a speaker cabinet. It came out pretty good but without the correct tools it was a real pain to try to make it look even. Like I said, it came out pretty good, but not perfect - at least I could tell that it was not nice and straight.

Anyway, I have a nice 1x12 cabinet where the grill cloth is attached to an easily removable frame. I was wondering if I could bring the frame and new grill cloth to someone local to have it done, maybe an upholstery shop. Has anybody done this, i.e., found someone locally who could do a professional job?

Thanks for any advice!
    Pete

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You can find Marshall, Fender, Vox grill cloth on ebay, all you need is a staple gun and box cutter, scissors or sharp knife and watch a few youtube videos to see how to or how not to do it. Lay it out flat in the sun first or use a hair dryer to help eliminate creases. Final trim the size after it's attached with staples.
    If you really don't want to do it yourself you could call a upholsterer or picture framer and see if they will do it. It's much like mounting a canvas on a pine frame. It should be cheap as it doesn't take long.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    PeteGalaxie likes this.
  3. wanderin kind

wanderin kind Tele-Meister

a music store that does amp repair can do it,

is the cloth torn or just dirty? Simple Green spray works real well on dirty cloth,

PeteGalaxie likes this.
  4. Heph333

Heph333 TDPRI Member

I've found the best results are from stiffer coverings like jute or cane. It's really easy to get nice creases and have it really straight when you're done. The hardest are the woven plastic cloths. They are so elastic that it takes a lot of work to keep the lines straight. What I've done on those is order it significantly larger than needed, then I wrap the end several times around a yardstick. Then you can pull it tight (and very straight) with the yardstick.

My last was a Mesa style jute and it was very easy compared to cloth coverings.

If you still want to farm it out, maybe check upholstery shops. They would be the most experienced in stapling fabric to get the best visual appearance.

These are all cabs that I've recovered. If using a black cloth, i recommend getting as solid black as possible without any pattern.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    PeteGalaxie likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Upholstery shop might do it. It's not hard to do but requires attention to detail.

Here's my method, short version!
    -I Use a T50 stapler with 5/16 staples. Depending on the frame 3/8 may be good. 1/4" is too short.
    -Start on one edge. Line up a line on the grill cloth. Like the ridge between the little rectangles etc.
    -Start at one corner and staple a couple staples. The go to the other corner , stretch the clot , line up the line and put a couple staples in.
    -Then go to the center of that edge and line up the line and staple.
    -Then cut the distance in half between the staples you've already done and line up the edge, and staple. Continue doing a staple about every inch or more on that edge by moving around and lining up the line.

You now have one edge stapled and the grill cloth rectangles are parallel to that edge.
    Now go to the opposite side of the frame across the panel.
    -Stretch the cloth at one corner, make sure the rectangles in the cloth are aligned to the adjacent edge you are not doing. Staple that corner as you did on the first edge.
    -Now move to the opposite corner, still on frame edge two. Stretch the cloth across AND along the adjacent edge so it is right. Staple that corner. Finish stapling that whole side/edge.
    The lines in the grill cloth should now be parallel to the two edges you have stapled.

No go to one adjacent edge of the frame between the two stapled edges. stretch the cloth just enough to line up the rectangles with the frame. Not much at this point.
    -Do the stapling of that edge.

Now go to the final edge and stretch the cloth tight n the frame, lining up the rectangles with the frame and staple, stretching so that the rectangles in the cloth line up with the frame on every staple!

Staples are easy to remove with a thin screwdriver. You will often have to remove a few and restretch for alignment with the frame.

PeteGalaxie likes this.
  6. schmee

[​IMG]

Mr Ridesglide and PeteGalaxie like this.
  7. wanderin kind

wanderin kind Tele-Meister

probably some good youtube vids on grill cloth,

PeteGalaxie likes this.
  8. PeteGalaxie

PeteGalaxie Tele-Meister

I did change the grill cloth on one cabinet I had. I followed the instructions similar to what @schmee posted and it didn't come out bad at all. I, however, could tell where the grill cloth pattern was slightly wavy in a couple of spots but it was hardly noticeable. Someone without OCD probably would not have noticed. :D It's the stretching part that I found very difficult - I think there are specific tools to do that "perfectly". This time, I just want to bring it to a "professional". ;)

9. schmee

If it is not as tight as you would like, Fender style of cloth (as opposed to Marshall cane etc) can be tightened up with a hair dryer or heat gun. A heat gun used improperly will burn a hole real fast though!
    There are times when I have to remove the staples on one edge after I'm done and restretch/restaple. for alignment or tightness. Doesn't take that long though.

PeteGalaxie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.