1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Where can I get my body repainted or painted over?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Ignatius, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I have a mid 90's 52RI that I'm not emotionally attached to. I bought it used, the original pickups are gone, and it has been refretted so it's not like there's any point in preserving its original state.

I'm considering having it repainted a different color. And before you might offer the polite suggestion that I do it myself, let me say that I have neither the interest, time, nor patience to do the refin myself. I just don't. ;)

So this is something I'd be paying someone to do, obviously. I'm also thinking this might be a relatively easy job because I've seen posts on this forum where there has been great success in just lightly sanding and spraying over the existing finish (although this guitar has one or two very small chips that would need to be filled) so perhaps it doesn't even need to be stripped. I believe back in the 90's the 52RI's had some sort of poly finish on them, not nitro.

Can anyone here recommend someone who could spray and clearcoat this thing for me? I'm just kicking tires at the moment and I'm really trying to get a sense for what this might cost.

2. garymaddox

garymaddox Tele-Afflicted

Where are you located? There's probably a forum member nearby that could help you out. If you could avoid shipping it off, that might save you some coin.

3. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Upstate New York.

4. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    fair enough

those parameters will, however, turn into money

materials really aren't much

time though...

Have you though about heading to a local body shop with body in one hand and color chips in the other?

Have fun and let us know how things go.

:)

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This is a great idea, at least in most parts of Upstate New York.

People around Buffalo, Rochester; man they know cars like almost no one in Louisiana ever does.

Mid summer up there - everywhere I went, there were swarms of vintage cars; plus heavily modded newer Iron with Crate motors, headers, etc.

6. smokerjoe34

smokerjoe34 Tele-Holic

I have had many bodies painted by my local body guys and they all turned out great !!

7. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Or you could sell the body and get one in the color you want from ebay. There are people who parts-out new guitars there. So much better than trying to strip a finish, you'd be wasting the finish that's on there that maybe somebody else does want.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.