Where Can I Find Smallish Pieces Of Rosewood?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by milocj, Mar 8, 2016.

1. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I know this isn't really a "build" question, but I figured you guys would be the most likely to know the answer.

I want to try to make an inlay in a piece of rosewood (or just use the rosewood if I screw up making inlays) and set it into a Bigsby sort of like Epiphone and some other companies did in the '60s with their own versions of vibrato tailpieces. I figure I'll screw up at least one piece so I would either need a board about 1/4" x 12" wide x 8" tall with the grain running from bottom to top of the 8" dimension. Likewise, I could use three pieces of 1/4" x 4" x 8".

Does anybody know of local type places that would sell this, or if there are mail order places that would have something this small and thicker than an acoustic guitar top?

If this size is hard to find, and bigger pieces are crazy expensive, I'd be more than happy to pay for a couple of drops that you builders may have.

Thanks.

2. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

If you have a Woodcraft in your area, go there :)

Elias Graves likes this.
  3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

4. milocj

Thanks. I never thought about that. I also remembered that there was a Rockler store about 10 miles from work and it looks like they may have a piece of Bolivian Rosewood at the store that may work, too.

Almost all of the real lumberyards nearby have closed so I've gotten used to being stuck with Lowe's or Home Depot.

5. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

Check out some knife making supply websites. You'll find awesome small pieces of all different species of wood.

6. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

In a rosebush.
    Ta Dah....

Elias Graves likes this.
  7. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

8. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

LMII has rosewood (and other species) mandolin and uke fingerboard blanks. They are 12"x2"x1/4" and typically in the $5-$10 range. Would that size be useful?

[​IMG]

9. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Woodcraft usually has some, although they're a bit expensive (it is dimensioned though.) Here's a link to their main dimensioned lumber page, just look in the side menu for rosewood (also cocobolo, it's a rosewood as well.) Be prepared for some sticker shock though!

LMI carries a lot, and they usually have some seconds stuff that could save a few bucks. A hardwood lumber supplier that deals in exotic woods is probably going to have slightly better prices than Woodcraft or the luthier supply places, and there are a lot out there. Google "exotic hardwood lumber" and it'll pull up a bunch. Bell Forest Products and Woodworkers Source are two that I always remember for some reason.

10. jmoore65

jmoore65 Tele-Meister

There's a vintage Scandinavian furniture place near me (in Brunswick, a suburb of Melbourne, Australia). They often have pieces of rosewood furniture. These would be from the 60's typically, and are pricey - want to pay $3000 for a desk? I'm not sure, but would these be Brazilian rosewood from that era?

Anyway, I've looked at these items and have sometimes thought... man, there's a few rosewood teles in there. Would it be sacrilege to buy a retro Danish rosewood table and cut it up to make guitars?

11. twocup

twocup Tele-Meister

It would be saintly. :D

12. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Know any lumberjacks who deal in Bonsai?

13. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

14. milocj

In a rosebush.<br />Ta Dah....

Ah, man. All of mine died last year after being in the yard for more than 30 years.

Thanks for all the tips, everybody. Turns out Rockler had a 3" x 24" piece in stock and by adding a couple of small hand tools to total $35 I got free shipping which was cheaper than driving to the closest store.

Now I guess I need to figure out how to attempt inlays and I'll still have enough left over to use plain if I screw the other ones up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.