Where are you sourcing transformers these days?

matt117

Tele-Holic
Looking for 100watt OT for a two rock / dumble style build. I managed to find a heyboer choke and PT.
Which vendors have you been using?
I understand the world wide condition and need of transformers for medical equipment taking priority.

Hammond seems easier to come
By, but I don’t have any experience with them. Not up to the point of wanting to pay x1.5 for a MM.

dan40

Friend of Leo's
I just purchased a set of transformers from Edcor and Musical Power Supplies. The set from MPS took about 10 days to receive while the Edcor set took nearly a month. This is my first time trying the Edcor iron and I gotta say that the blue paint job is very nice. I'm hoping they sound as great as they look!

ok_state_blues

TDPRI Member
Antek is always solid for me. Customer service is sketchy, but the product is solid

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
Looking for 100watt OT for a two rock / dumble style build. I managed to find a heyboer choke and PT.
Which vendors have you been using?
I understand the world wide condition and need of transformers for medical equipment taking priority.

Hammond seems easier to come
By, but I don’t have any experience with them. Not up to the point of wanting to pay x1.5 for a MM.
Tip Top Electronics in Winnipeg can order in Hammond stuff . https://www.tiptopelectronics.com/home.asp?PAGE=Home

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
If you want a rinky dink 4lb TW OT, then the Hammond 1750W or 1760W will do at about $110. If you want a big hifi type, then the Edcor CXPP100-MS-1.7K or CXPP100-MS-2.2k is almost 10lb and $144.

kleydejong

Tele-Holic
I have used some Hammond transformers in some recent guitar amp builds. They're performing quite well.

I used a few Edcor transformers in a hifi build last year, they're fantastic - but the wait and availability was not as good.

I miss Classic Tone...

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
If you want a rinky dink 4lb TW OT, then the Hammond 1750W or 1760W will do at about $110. If you want a big hifi type, then the Edcor CXPP100-MS-1.7K or CXPP100-MS-2.2k is almost 10lb and $144.
Apples to apples, if you want hifi then Hammond has them also, 100W weighing in at 12 lbs, 120W at 14 lbs, 280W at 28 lbs. But why would you want to carry all that weight?

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
@printer2 I suspect that the Hammond 1750W weights more than 4lb. It should be 5-6lb. I haven't bought one of those, but others that I've gotten from Hammond have been lighter weight than their vintage or ClassicTone counterparts.

Paul-T

Tele-Holic
For folks in Europe, beware, Mouser list without VAT and add it right at the end. Nasty sting in the tail. Tube-town in Germany have a good range of Hammond at a decent price.

I like Primary Windings, if you're in the UK (where ordering from abroad is now, sadly, way more complicated & bureaucratic). Look also for Steve's transformers, via eBay, small but really good range. He's also on Facebook & will give you a hefty discount off eBay.

And someone just hipped me to Piemme, an Italian company who have a fantastic range, especially of Fender types, at pretty good prices.

Last edited:

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Hey ya'll, I came across this company while doing some research and thought ya'll might be interested. Ever heard of these folks before?

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Cool. Never heard of 'PacTran' -- I think we've all heard of Alessandro. But the link says PacTran is "US based" and has 40 years experience. Their video blurb is impressive, and the factory floor footage looks to be in North America.

Worth watching. My first concern would be if they decide to run with MM in the '$$$$' market. But with transformers now all $$$ anyway, I'm gonna be open-minded. :)

Hammond's fine, but several little details still make me miss ClassicTone...