Where are you at musically?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Area51, Jan 22, 2017.

1. keeffan

keeffan Tele-Holic

Looking at 40 with a wife and four kids. Between work and family I only play around an hour a week in spurts. Doesn't keep me from buying gear though. I'll need is more down the road as an empty nester, right?

2. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Well, I can play Rush songs every bit as well as Geddy Lee can play Rush songs. If Geddy Lee really sucked at playing Rush songs. :D

But, to be serious now, I haven't done the band scene in a long time. Just at home now, for my own amusement. Although, if just the right opportunity came up..................

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  3. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I'm a retired CPA in Canada, our drummer from the Sixties (Corky Laing) wrote Mississippi Queen with Leslie West and Felix Pappalardi. Felix was also our producer while he was doing the first 2 Cream albums with Clapton, just after he produced The YoungBloods huge hippy hit record.

We put a few classic-rock tunes on CashBox & Billboard in the 6 years before Mountain and were signed to New York major labels. Here's a backwards tape session we done in 1969 for the hell of it...album filler. I'm considered an OK player but could have been way better had I not gone into a different profession.

4. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

Well, I'm 54 and I pretty much got to the point earlier right where the OP is now, only years ago. Except for an occasional open mic solo stint here and there, I truly hadn't gigged in over 15 years. Fortunately I found a music buddy recently in the new guy at work (bassist) who feels pretty much the same as I in that he wanted to do something different from the same old classic rock/blues rock stuff that seems to be prevalent around my town. We've recently formed what can only be described I guess as a Psychedelic/Americana/Blues/Jam Power Trio. (damn, I just noticed that's a mouthful) We've worked up a setlist of classic covers everyone knows, and make it our own, then throw in some B sides from those same acts and occasionally drag them out into a psychedelic space jam during the solos.
    During the years I wasn't gigging I got seriously addicted to jamming at home by myself with a Boomerang looper and various delay/reverb/fuzz/filter pedals.
    Doing ambient swells/pads and then just noodling over the loops; nerdy ambient back ground stuff. I'm incorporating those skills I learned into this current project.
    So combined with a funky bassist and a drummer with a jazz background we are doing everything from Tom Petty to Ray Wylie Hubbard to The Police, Ryan Adams and Josh Ritter.
    Here's the twist: We'll do The Police song as an acoustic folk number, The Tom Petty tune maybe strictly straight w/ an extended just totally spaced out jam section in the middle or end, then the Ray Wylie Hubbard tune Chick Singer, Bad Ass Rockin' just totally hard with fuzzed out guitar and bass, and then I have my oldest daughter come out and sing a Patsy Cline song, played as close as possible to the original.
    We just played our 3rd gig together last weekend and we aren't making any real money really, but we are getting excellent feedback and having a blast!
    We've got 3 more gigs lined up and have been put in touch by a new fan for a possible spot on the Annual Link Wray Festival in Dunn, NC
    No matter the venue or crowd we are really high energy and I've been working on my stage banter and presence and it's coming along better than I ever expected it too.

Matt G likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.