Where are all the Partscaster for sale?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jefsut, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

It would seem as though partscasters don't sell as well as the ones from the licensed manufacturer. Gotta feed the masses......

M

2. Shardik

Shardik Tele-Meister

I think that the main thing is that a partscaster is a personal custom guitar without the reputation of a well known guitar company or a good luthier.

One thought is that it should be possible to sell at least for the price of the parts, but the truth is that the buyer probably consider only the parts he/she would choose themselves, and even for those parts will only give a reduced price.

When I bought my latest project guitar, I personally only thought of the parts I wanted as worth anything to me. I was for instance in doubt about the pickups (which were offered at a slight total price increase), but finally decided to go for the pickups because they were much cheaper than new.

And by the way: Any partscaster is an assembly uf used parts. You can not set the guitar price from the sum of the parts cost as new parts. When they are put in a guitar they are used.

I also think that a lot of partscasters are not sold or disassembled to parts, but actually passed on to friends or relatives for free or for a symbolic cost.

For my own part, why did I buy a partscaster? I wanted to build a tele to my own specs, but needed a decent neck. Original necks are expensive as new parts or even as used parts, and I figured that to get the most from a used neck , I wanted one with the body still attached. That way, hole alignment would not be an issue. The rest of the parts i considered a bonus, but candidates for replacement if they didn't agree with me. The seller also offered to take it back it I didn't want it on closer inspection (I would have to pay for postage, though).

3. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If I ever want to get rid of my partscaster I would have to sell it for parts to get back anywhere near what it cost me to assemble.

It's a great guitar, but I don't play it alot because I have a couple of Custom Shop teles I love. Rather than stripping apart a very nice guitar, I'll probably give it away to one of my young kin someday.

4. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

I haven't built mine yet, but if when I do I decide to sell it. Give me a call.

Martin...

5. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

I only have a couple of Partscasters - one Tele and one Strat. They're both terrific guitars and probably aren't worth more than a few hundred bucks to sell. And, they're both great players, that would be hard to replace, at any price. They were fun to build and more fun to play.

6. Shardik

Shardik Tele-Meister

I think that if you want to buy a partscaster, then you should actually announce that you want to buy one, including what specifics are important to you. That was the way I did it. I got two offers, none of them were announced for sale before they saw my announcement...

7. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

The bass that I'm building will cost and weigh 1/2 of what a new CV squier precision does and will (hopefully) play as well as any Fender P-bass on the market. AND it is gonna be totally custom and fit to ME. Not only is it completely custom, you learn a ton from building it and have a special bond with that instrument since you took it from a pile of parts to fricken awesome playing instrument. Why would you wanna sell something like that?

Then again, who would wanna buy and play anything that I made? Haha. Besides the fact that I have yet to do a project guitar without blood somehow getting on it (ie, blood stained headstock on my strat, a good sized blotch in the control cavity of above mentioned P-bass)

8. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

For the guitar in my avatar I could get...

1963 authentic bridge pickup - $300
    1974 authentic neck -$400
    2008 Japan body - $75
    1980 Schallers -$50
    2008 Custom SDuncan Neck PU - $50
    1974 Fender Case $50
    Total $925

I doubt anyone would pay me $925 for the whole guitar which is why when I sell it, I will part it out. That's why you don't see a lot of them sold whole.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.