Where are all the Partscaster for sale?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jefsut, Aug 2, 2011.

1. jefsut

jefsut Tele-Meister

With the world awash in guitars, I've often wondered:

Why is it so hard to buy a decent Partscaster?

I know it's a losing proposition, but still, with all the talented builders on this forum, there's gotta be a lot of folks sitting on some really fine guitars.

Just wondering where they all go? I see folks posting incredible guitars here every day ... what happens to them all? Are you folks just sitting on them?

Thanks!

2. TBird

TBird Tele-Meister

Well the deal with partscasters is that they're truly a custom guitar. You can order everything to the specs that you want, get the best hardware and pickups, and have everything to you liking. That's why I ordered mine. So the reason why people don't sell the good ones is because it's thee guitar that the person who ordered it wanted. There's nothing they want to change because you can order everything the way you want. It also takes time to find the people that you want to create your neck and body, and the places you'd like to order your hardware. So in all, it's everything that a specific player wanted, so they have no reason to get rid of it.

3. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Because partscasters aren't worth anything. If you don't like, its worth more to sell as parts, which would still sell at a loss. There have been a lot of people on this forum that thought they were going to get into the guitar business by buying and selling partscasters. I think most of em realized whats up after the first guitar or so.

4. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

Well, one theory could be that someone puts together a partscaster for, say, around $800.00. Then they want to sell it for $800.00 because that's the combined value of all the parts but no one wants to spend that kind of money, no matter the quality of the parts, on someone's 'project' guitar so my guess is that partscasters get disassembled and resold as parts.

5. mike zane

mike zane TDPRI Member

Agreed.

6. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Samething is true for cars or any other hobby.

7. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Holic

I'm usually looking for a specific sound...and I shop for the cheapest bodies/necks and various parts I can find...pups are usually the top of the food chain. It can take a LOT of finessing to get everything to work together properly sometimes, especially with the tools I have and the limited space. Generally I get close enough to what I shot for or stand on it. Right now I'm finishing up 3 that I started a few months ago and they've come out beyond my expectations. Would I sell 'em...sure but its HIGHLY unlikely anybody would pay the price I'd want when there are so many actual skilled luthiers/ builders out there making unbelieveable guitars for under $2K. Mostly I build when and with what I can afford and take the time and effort to make them the best I can with those cheesy parts. My Esquire has a $19 body, $12 bridge, $49 no-name neck (that came with tuners) $30 worth of Fender electronics and a $14 electrostatic jack, $8 GraphTech nut, $6 locking strap buttons, $6 for knobs and $30 locking tuners (all new) and a used Fender SCN pup ($30 used EBay). It works great, looks (lacquered), and sounds good. I put a good bit of effort into it and think it shows but then I'm really the only one that has to like it. It ain't going anywhere either LOL...why bother to make something you can't normally afford for a price you can afford just to turn around and sell it, what would be the point?

8. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

People make guitars out of parts to make something Fender doesnt offer.

They usually have a low resale value as a whole guitar so when they are sold they are usually parted out for more $$.

There could also be a short supply cause people make em exactly the way they want to so they dont sell them.

9. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Or.....It could be that the Economy and Guitar Market Suck so Bad @ the moment,

That perhaps some don't feel like givin their stuff away ???

10. 6stringelectric

6stringelectric Tele-Meister

Also, a person who has put together a partscaster and then doesn't like something about it is more likely to change the unwanted parts rather than sell the whole thing.

11. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

I believe that partscasters or custom builds need to be played to be appreciated. Since most of us builders do not have any type of reputation, the process of buying an instrument sight unseen doesn't exist. I certainly wouldn't shell out a handful of money on one of my custom builds without playing it first. So selling online is not an option for me. Other avenues besides the internet do exist out there and that is where you will find us and our partscasters.

Build threads help but are still not enough to warrant a sight unseen transaction.

12. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Or... it could be, when assembling a partscaster, you make the guitar you actually want, at a fraction of the cost having a Custom built guitar done... are you gonna turn around and sell the guitar you actually want...

Or... playing a guitar that you have actually built is such a rush, many hang on to 'em simply because it is one they built....

or, or, or.... lots of reasons....

Ron Kirn

13. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

or.. you just like making guitars.. for something cool to do... and don't try to sell them...
    "cheaper than cheap asian guitars" put an end to the craft of local building.... how could you compete with "CV Love" anyway...?..

you get to play them .. get experience in the different aspects of guitar building/set up... for your own amusement...
    and give/lend them out to friends or their kids.....

some people might see that as a zero gain,total loss... that's their problem...

what the hell!... a bloke's only here once.... better than putting it through the pokies,etc..

14. hwy145

hwy145 Tele-Afflicted

I have two partscasters that I love. Everything is built to my specs. Any non-custom, off the shelf guitar is a compromise in some way. I get rid
    Of the compromise guitars and keep the customs...besides, no one would pay anything for them.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  15. Muttcaster

Muttcaster Tele-Holic

All of the above.

:)

16. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

I agree. Look at it from the buyers perspective. The seller could be the next Stradivarius of guitars and you are buying one when they are an unknown. Eventually worth millions. Or it could be a craptastic collection of parts that was ill conceived and poorly executed. I have often told myself to avoid other people's projects. You don't get the joy of designing and building it and you are left with the grief of trying to fix their mistakes.

17. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

We do it to annoy our wives and girlfriends. ;)

Like Colt said, it's the same with cars. They're money pits. You can put $10k into a car or a guitar, but in all likelihood, you'll never see that money again.

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This could change, but with the economy down it is hard to be "the next in line" behind all those Fenders and big name custom builders.

Unless you have to sell it, you don't.

19. ckloewer

ckloewer Tele-Meister

Dude, partscasters are for sale all over the place. You'll just have to make more than one transaction and there is some assembly required.

20. ThreeChorder

ThreeChorder Tele-Meister

Nice! :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.