Where are all the organs?

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
And the big question......where are they all now?

I can tell you where the remains of one are: in a homebrew Leslie cabinet I constructed from a 1970s-era Lowrey organ. Here's the build thread.

Reactions: TG

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
Most times they need to be flipped upside down and oiled to get the tone wheel turning again and they work fine after that.

Usually.
My Hammond, an H1, had a little hopper on the tonewheel that was for oiling the unit. It was very handy.

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I bought a used one back in the 80's when a church was getting themselves a new one, think I paid $75 .... a band buddy welcomed it into his jam shed (they are darned heavy to move and fit thru doorways!) and it's been there ever since. We've had a lot of fun with that thing, adding all sorts of goofy sounds to goofy jams. When he moved his shed down over the banking to a lower location, the organ went right along for the ride. There's a mouse family living in it now, they haven't bothered anything with it, so far, but it'd probably be good to relocate them before they chew up some wiring and foul it up.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
Awhile back I came across an old organ in a charity shop....one of the ones from the 60s/70s with lots of buttons. Different voice options including piccolo, violin, guitar, clarinette, and built-in percussion with choices such as bossa-nova, tango, salsa, march, etc. I'll insert a photo below so you can zoom in and explore the marvels.

It got me remembering when I was a kid and there would be stores with dozens of these things.
Did people really have these in their living rooms and spend evenings playing polkas and sambas? Did they play along to Lawrence Welk? View attachment 968962
And the big question......where are they all now? It's not like you could put them out on the curb for the garbage man to take away when you no longer wanted it. Is there an enormous organ landfill site somewhere?

Through inheritance I am the owner of two of these things.
Can't remember the model atm, but both are 3-manual(3 keyboard levels) things and one even has an optional external cab.

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a pump organ at the cabin. It's furniture.

Dennyf

Tele-Afflicted
I have an acquaintance who still lugs a B3 "chop" around, and I've seen a few "house" B3s, such as at the Middle C jazz club in Charlotte, but the home organ thing has gone the way of the cabinet TV and the console stereo.
My dad had a Hammond. It was a "T" series, I think. Solid state, but still a tone wheel organ with drawbars, and a two-speed Leslie drum in front of the built in speaker. As far a I know, my sister still has it sitting in the living room at the old home place.

drewg

Tele-Afflicted
@drewg said, "I love the sound of these old tube organs, and once – just once in my life – was blessed to hear a Leslie in action and was completely enchanted. There's nothing else like it..."........not sure exactly what you meant about just once you heard a Leslie in action....I bet you've heard one more than once. Almost every studio recording ever made that utilized a Hammond used a Leslie. They just go together like bacon and eggs. But you're definitely right about being "enchanting"......they ARE magical. ;)

I meant "live". I've only heard a Hammond with a Leslie live once in my life. (And considering how 'low-fi' my audio equipment has been over the years, it was quite the difference! 🥲

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
...the reverberant church...
Band name alert!

I often wonder where all these went - they were everywhere at one time.
1649115190070.png

Allegedly used by professional musicians such as John Lennon, Kraftwerk, David Bowie and, erm, Rolf Harris.

Maybe the Rolf Harris association killed them off...