Where are all the organs?

TG

Doctor of Teleocity
Awhile back I came across an old organ in a charity shop....one of the ones from the 60s/70s with lots of buttons. Different voice options including piccolo, violin, guitar, clarinette, and built-in percussion with choices such as bossa-nova, tango, salsa, march, etc. I'll insert a photo below so you can zoom in and explore the marvels.

It got me remembering when I was a kid and there would be stores with dozens of these things.
Did people really have these in their living rooms and spend evenings playing polkas and sambas? Did they play along to Lawrence Welk?
20220402_085037.jpg

And the big question......where are they all now? It's not like you could put them out on the curb for the garbage man to take away when you no longer wanted it. Is there an enormous organ landfill site somewhere?

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
Ah, the old Spinet. Too funny. My Uncle used to sell these. They were Lowreys in a shopping mall. My grandmother had one. There should be tons of them around, collecting dust.

Or, they're used for writing songs that are interpretations of classic Led Zeppelin songs, done in a reggae style, fronted by en Elvis impersonator...

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Awhile back I came across an old organ in a charity shop....one of the ones from the 60s/70s with lots of buttons. Different voice options including piccolo, violin, guitar, clarinette, and built-in percussion with choices such as bossa-nova, tango, salsa, march, etc. I'll insert a photo below so you can zoom in and explore the marvels.

It got me remembering when I was a kid and there would be stores with dozens of these things.
Did people really have these in their living rooms and spend evenings playing polkas and sambas? Did they play along to Lawrence Welk? View attachment 968962
And the big question......where are they all now? It's not like you could put them out on the curb for the garbage man to take away when you no longer wanted it. Is there an enormous organ landfill site somewhere?
no, not the land fill. They are in the Organ Bank.
Your gonna cry, 96 tears
cry, cry, cry, 96 tears your gonna cry 96 tears

Farfisa-Compact-Italian-Organ-Cover-2.jpg
Vox_Continental_Combo_Organ_1965.jpg

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
Some thrift stores still take them when grandma has to go into assisted living. Then, bottom feeder guitar players steal the tubes out of them. For example, this Hammond M3 (being sold for $75 as I recall) I ran across had its 6V6's removed. I considered buying it, although fixing it back up would have been quite a challenge for me. When I went back the following weekend to take another look, someone had pulled the rest of the tubes. So, I passed on it.

20150509_145720.jpg

20150509_145805.jpg

scook

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Sadly, they are at the dump. People don't play music anymore, they program it.
Sad but true.

I have an old pump organ my grandmother had and I can’t even find someone to do any repairs on it. I’m sure when I’m gone it will probably go the same route as me.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Ya, the Farfisa ?, vox Jaguars (rascals), and Kustom padded keys
You have not lived until you have helped cart a b3 down a basement or to
a gig with leslies. We had coffin holders nailed to the side that made it easier.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
You have not lived until you have helped cart a b3 down a basement

I had a Hammond portable organ (it looked similar to the photo below) that I sold in my big gear purge of 1992. The guy who bought it showed up driving a Fiero with his girlfriend. It was funny watching him trying to fit it and his girlfriend into that tiny car. I think he almost considered leaving her behind.

hammondx-2organ.JPG

bholder

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
I have a Hammond A3 Heritage (modern B3 with every possible bell and whistle) sitting in a storage unit because I haven't cleared a place to set it up. Sigh. Gotta get to that!

jackal

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
I used to work in a TV store that sold the ones with the built in sound effects, drum beats and such. They sounded so bad, used to drive me crazy when the salesman would fire them up. In shopping malls they would drive customers away. So cheesy.