Where are all the F-logo B5s?

Rooney

Tele-Meister
After much debate, I finally ordered a candy tangerine Squier Classic Vibe 60's Custom from Anderton's. I've always liked the look of the Custom Tele's with the Fender branded B5's and figured I'd throw one of the Squier.

After I got the shipment notification from Anderton's, I went to buy an F-logo B5 I'd seen listed on eBay only to find it had sold. Then, I went to get it from one of the multiple online stores that have them listed only to find no one has them in stock. Finally, I checked Reverb — there's a new one for about $400 (+ shipping from Austria) and a reliced one for $275, which would look out of place on a brand new guitar. It also seems silly to pay more for a reliced version, only to polish it back to like-new.

What gives? Is this a Covid shortage? Is there anywhere else I should be looking? I haven't owned an electric for about ten years and am pretty out of the loop, but I'd think these trems would be more readily available, no? I know I could get the Bigsby branded version, but it doesn't look nearly as good to me, and it seems I'm incredibly vain.

Rooney

Tele-Meister
They're also back-ordered (+ international shipping): "Ordered, estimated to be in stock: Mar 19, 2022"

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I bought a regular B5 a month or two ago and it had "Made In Korea" on the box. News to me that they were being made there. It is indeed a B5 and not a licensed model. I suspect this is all due to supply and labor issues.

I guess you can either wait, or install a regular B5 in the meantime, then swap them out. Don't do a B50 because the footprint is a little different.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I had one in my eBay Shopping Cart for a while, but someone took it. I didn't check Reverb because stuff there is often overpriced. I think Bigsby is in a production crunch and the F logos are the least of their issues. Think of the number of guitars that come with Bigsbys - B5s or B50/500 licensed. They have to produce those by the bazillions for priority contract orders.

It used to be common to see used/vintage F logos for sale for $200-500. I don't even see those lately. It sucks, but as I said above, I would get a B5 in the meantime, and swap for a F logo when you can find one. Then install the B5 on your next project.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Or just be willing to spend two seconds longer per string than you would on a regular Tele with the same tuners.

That's not a valid reason not to use a Bigsby. What about shoelaces? Are they too much trouble, too? Loafers and velcro straps are sooo much easier...
I see patients all day long coming in wearing lounge pants and slippers...

TheMattJones88

TDPRI Member
The PIA string changes should be enough to steer you away from the Bigsby!:)

All you have to do is bend a 90 degree curve at the ball with a pair of pliers and put it on the pin, then it's pretty much no different from stringing a regular Tele. I really don't get the idea that restringing a Bigsby is rocket science.

Stephen Douglas

TDPRI Member
I had one in my eBay Shopping Cart for a while, but someone took it. I didn't check Reverb because stuff there is often overpriced. I think Bigsby is in a production crunch and the F logos are the least of their issues. Think of the number of guitars that come with Bigsbys - B5s or B50/500 licensed. They have to produce those by the bazillions for priority contract orders.

It used to be common to see used/vintage F logos for sale for $200-500. I don't even see those lately. It sucks, but as I said above, I would get a B5 in the meantime, and swap for a F logo when you can find one. Then install the B5 on your next project.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I didn't even know what you were talking about until the last sentence in your post...

CalebAaron666

Tele-Holic
I wanted to buy an F logo B5 a few years back but couldn’t find one for sale unless I wanted to buy the whole kit, which I didn’t. I just wanted the bigsby.

I eventually found one on the Vibramate website. I didn’t order the Vibramate stuff, just the Bigsby. It came with a ridiculous giant foam rubber grippy handle, which was easily removed. I ended up using a “Duane Eddy” fat handle anyway.
Here it is, and it looks beautiful.
A47E75EE-846C-49CE-9DCD-C8A556D9634F.jpeg

However, I dunno if they still have them for sale ala cart anymore.

And like @BorderRadio, my guitars serve to show off my bigsbys.

Last edited: