Where are all the cabs at?

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
A couple of years ago, one could always find a quality speaker cab for sale local. I used to buy up anything vintage just to salvage the speakers, but also kept a couple of nice Avatar JDesign cabs. For the past week I haven't seen anything out there for sale...nothing.

I know people have gravitated to combo amps so the extension cabs are becoming relics of the past, but there has been a ton of them sold and built over the decades so they must be out there collecting dust somewhere, right?

I could just order a new cab and shell out $500 plus, but I really don't want to do that. I have a collection of speakers that I always enjoy experimenting with and having several cabs available makes it a lot more enjoyable than changing out speakers.

I have a pair of Altec 417 speakers right now sitting on the shelf that I want to drop into a 2x12 both for playing and for protection, but don't want to replace the present speakers in my current 2x12 cab. I also have a couple of old oxfords that despite the bad rap, I tend to really like them for blues tones and hate to see them just sitting there in a box.

I just miss the good old days when you found cabs all day long for sale at not much more than the price of the speakers.

I've been looking lately, because I'm trying to go the other way, or at least have more options. I'd like a 2x10 and/or a 2x12, that I could maybe change the baffle to convert to 1x15 (or 2x10). What I've been seeing is 4x12 cabs all day, non-marshall as low as $40. Not much of what I'm looking for, although I did pass up a nice 1x15 guitar cab a couple months ago because I didn't have time to go get it.
I've considered converting one of those 4x12s to 2x12.

There is also a very cheap fender frontman 212 amp, which I've considered using as a cab. Bad idea? I don't need a heavy duty cab, but don't want buzzy chipboard.

Right now I have a couple test cabs, a 1x12, and a 2x10, but one is covered in the rat fur, and one that peavey bedliner stuff, and they're both too ugly for stage use for me

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I have three Seismic Audio cabs…two I purchased unloaded. They have some unloaded 2x12s on their site now.

Thomann also sells a decent cabinet under the Harley Benton name. A bit lighter weight than the Seismics, but definitely heavy enough for home use. I have a 2x12 vertical slanted…came with Vintage 30s. Affordable enough, even if one decides to swap speakers.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
usually with cabs i just get super cheap stuff (that isn't MDF) from people throwing them (or combo amps) out, or from cheap SS amps on craigslist. then i just dump the chassis and put wood spray painted black to cover the cutout.

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
When I built my first cab (a 1x12), earlier last year, I built it to the highest possible quality standards that I could. once you factor in all the material costs I think it cost me something like 165.00 bucks... so... not sure how much I really saved in the end, when you factor in the time/effort part of it. Still, it's rewarding when I look at her and know that I built that. Just sayin' that I can now understand why quality cabs cost what they cost. If I had to build a cab like that for someone else, I'd have to charge at least 3 times what it cost me, to make it worth my while... if you see what I mean ;)
Did you factor in your time?

I built a 2 X 10 cab, some time ago before the leap in lumber costs, etc. I might have maybe $50 in out-of-pocket costs in the finished box, hardware, grill cloth, etc. At the time, Mrs. 3T and I were doing a lot of remodeling and had lots of stuff in the garage, so my cost wasn't exactly ordering every little nut and bolt. Had stuff on hand; sure that cost me something at some point, but I'm not Leo - not inclined to figure out if a wood screw cost me $.0100755 or $.010325 or whatever that amount was - don't quote me.

Spent about $150 on the speakers - the 1028k Eminence as recommended by @Wally - and they sound great to me. Love 'em. So as a finished product, out-of-pocket, $200, cab loaded with speakers that I wanted.

I'm not including my labor, because I couldn't afford that...:lol:...and no one would want to pay whatever that cost was. I'm not in the biz of making speaker cabs or loading them.

If I had to do it over, I'd maybe wait for a lumpy old amp to show up on CL or similar and use the amp guts as a bench amp or whatever and use the cab as needed. Essentially as our esteemed colleague @loopfinding has already suggested. On the local CL here there are almost always usable combo cabs (with some POS amp included) that might get a person close enough to count. You want sharp looking cab, that's something else. OTOH, I see a 4X12 Crate cab with speakers for $100 on CL right now. I already have a 2X15 cab, so I'm not in that zone, but many are the ways to tie the shoe.
IMG_2133.jpeg

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
A couple of years ago, one could always find a quality speaker cab for sale local. I used to buy up anything vintage just to salvage the speakers, but also kept a couple of nice Avatar JDesign cabs. For the past week I haven't seen anything out there for sale...nothing.

I know people have gravitated to combo amps so the extension cabs are becoming relics of the past, but there has been a ton of them sold and built over the decades so they must be out there collecting dust somewhere, right?

I could just order a new cab and shell out $500 plus, but I really don't want to do that. I have a collection of speakers that I always enjoy experimenting with and having several cabs available makes it a lot more enjoyable than changing out speakers.

I have a pair of Altec 417 speakers right now sitting on the shelf that I want to drop into a 2x12 both for playing and for protection, but don't want to replace the present speakers in my current 2x12 cab. I also have a couple of old oxfords that despite the bad rap, I tend to really like them for blues tones and hate to see them just sitting there in a box.

I just miss the good old days when you found cabs all day long for sale at not much more than the price of the speakers.
Well if you've already got a bunch of speakers without cabs, there's a lot of empty speaker cabinets out there for sale as low as $100 and less.

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Wish I had the scratch to buy this cab...no affiliation.
Dang I sold a Fender 2x12" for $200 about a decade ago. Admittedly mine hadn't lived under a dust cover but the tolex was still in good shape and I think it had all but one of the corners.

And I got an Antone 2x12" (empty, missing back and wiring for $40. But that was probably 6 or 7 years ago also.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I have a buddy who goes the rounds of the pawn shops on a regular basis, and he reports that there aren't as many cabs out there as there were say a couple years back. If I get another amp, I'm thinking about a Quilter Reverb 101, and there's a guy on Reverb who makes cabinets that have a docking station for the Quilter heads, and his work looks great and his prices seem reasonable. I'm thinking that head and a Texas Heat speaker and I'd be off to the races.