Where are all the cabs at?

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
A couple of years ago, one could always find a quality speaker cab for sale local. I used to buy up anything vintage just to salvage the speakers, but also kept a couple of nice Avatar JDesign cabs. For the past week I haven't seen anything out there for sale...nothing.

I know people have gravitated to combo amps so the extension cabs are becoming relics of the past, but there has been a ton of them sold and built over the decades so they must be out there collecting dust somewhere, right?

I could just order a new cab and shell out $500 plus, but I really don't want to do that. I have a collection of speakers that I always enjoy experimenting with and having several cabs available makes it a lot more enjoyable than changing out speakers.

I have a pair of Altec 417 speakers right now sitting on the shelf that I want to drop into a 2x12 both for playing and for protection, but don't want to replace the present speakers in my current 2x12 cab. I also have a couple of old oxfords that despite the bad rap, I tend to really like them for blues tones and hate to see them just sitting there in a box.

I just miss the good old days when you found cabs all day long for sale at not much more than the price of the speakers.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Hey man, what do you think of this? I know what you're saying. I've got some 12" I'd like to put into a cab as well... my big issue is space right now though. Anyway, this seems like a lotta bang for the buck to me. Good luck man!

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Hey man, what do you think of this? I know what you're saying. I've got some 12" I'd like to put into a cab as well... my big issue is space right now though. Anyway, this seems like a lotta bang for the buck to me. Good luck man!

I have never tried out one of those cabs, but see them on fleabay all the time. It checks a lot of the boxes in the specs, but I have no idea how they sound.

I have been impressed by Avatar, J Newell, Mojotone, Bogner, Mesa, and TRM cabs....and many of the vintage cabs as well, but they are what I stalked for years. No exotic woods, no 4x12 either, just like 2x12, 1x12, and 2x10 cabs.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I think it’s weird, too. It’s not super recent. I haven’t seen decent cabs for sale used for a decent prices in YEARS. There are a lot of super cheap and junky 4x12 cabs around here. I can usually find one pretty quickly and easily for $100 or so. But they are JUNK. We’re talking budget stuff that was only a couple hundy to begin with.

Cabs in general are getting crazy expensive. I used to say the best value out there were the Egnater Tweaker cabs. The 112 and 212. Those things are lightweight, have a very high build quality, great speakers, and just sound fabulous. I bought my 112 brand new in May of 2020 for $199. Now they’re $349. Probably go up again before the end of the year.

But I digress. You’re absolutely right. Finding decent quality used cabs for reasonable prices seems to be a thing of the past. At least for now.

dreamingtele

Friend of Leo's
They’re all tucked away in storage

Because after people found a way to mimic them and turn them into IR’s. Off away it went. Lolololol

But yes, i was looking for a nice 2x12 but none can be found. All i can do is commission a 2x12 build and put my preferred speakers in but that costs a lot of cash.

So i went back to playing my IR loader and played 10 different 4x12 Marshall with greenbacks, creambacks and G12H’s. Lololol.

Also yes, at the moment I dont see any used cabs within 10kms of me.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
All i can do is commission a 2x12 build and put my preferred speakers in but that costs a lot of cash.

When I built my first cab (a 1x12), earlier last year, I built it to the highest possible quality standards that I could. All I can say is that it was a LOT of work to do it right. In fact, I was surprised just how much work it really was LOL! There's a lot that goes into a quality cab and had I known how much work it was, I probably would've just commissioned one from a quality builder, cause it would've saved me a lot in terms of time and effort. I'm happy how my cab turned out, and I learned a lot about building em, but once you factor in all the material costs I think it cost me something like 165.00 bucks... so... not sure how much I really saved in the end, when you factor in the time/effort part of it. Still, it's rewarding when I look at her and know that I built that. Just sayin' that I can now understand why quality cabs cost what they cost. If I had to build a cab like that for someone else, I'd have to charge at least 3 times what it cost me, to make it worth my while... if you see what I mean ;)

KC

Friend of Leo's
there's been an Avatar 1x12 in cocoa / wheat with a Brit Celestion in it hanging around CL for weeks at $375 -- which is completely reasonable except that the same cab with your choice of speaker is $399 shipped from Avatar. I have a couple of Avatar cabs and they are solid, well-built handsome things. And cheap! I can't figure out how they can ship them at this price.

Jbnaxx

Tele-Holic
Here is one that I just finished. It is a 1x12...16H x 21W x 10D. This one is about right for a 1x12 as far as size goes. I have been very happy with the results......Until I saw the crack..

If you look at the upper left corner joint, you can see the joint failed. That is what I get for trying to make warped boards straight. Plywood plays nicer, but everything is so expensive and scarce right now. It is nearly impossible to find a sheet of Birch plywood.

Cab10.jpg
Cab11.jpg
Cab12.jpg

Dukex

Tele-Afflicted
Here you go. This guy makes quality stuff.

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
Here is one that I just finished. It is a 1x12...16H x 21W x 10D. This one is about right for a 1x12 as far as size goes. I have been very happy with the results......Until I saw the crack..

If you look at the upper left corner joint, you can see the joint failed. That is what I get for trying to make warped boards straight. Plywood plays nicer, but everything is so expensive and scarce right now. It is nearly impossible to find a sheet of Birch plywood.

View attachment 942567 View attachment 942568 View attachment 942569
Really nice looking. I can’t see the crack .

Chud

Poster Extraordinaire
I used to say the best value out there were the Egnater Tweaker cabs. The 112 and 212. Those things are lightweight, have a very high build quality, great speakers, and just sound fabulous. I bought my 112 brand new in May of 2020 for $199. Now they’re $349. Probably go up again before the end of the year.
MF & GC have the Egnater Rebel 112's for $279, and will do at least 10% better. They're out of stock now, but Sweetwater just got their shipment in, so GC & MF can't be too far behind.

609804000476000-00-2000x2000.jpg

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
MF & GC have the Egnater Rebel 112's for $279, and will do at least 10% better. They're out of stock now, but Sweetwater just got their shipment in, so GC & MF can't be too far behind.

View attachment 945617
I’ve tried these and they’re great. But they don’t sound as good as the Tweaker to me. Something about that Tweaker cab…

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
When I built my first cab (a 1x12), earlier last year, I built it to the highest possible quality standards that I could. All I can say is that it was a LOT of work to do it right. In fact, I was surprised just how much work it really was LOL! There's a lot that goes into a quality cab and had I known how much work it was, I probably would've just commissioned one from a quality builder, cause it would've saved me a lot in terms of time and effort. I'm happy how my cab turned out, and I learned a lot about building em, but once you factor in all the material costs I think it cost me something like 165.00 bucks... so... not sure how much I really saved in the end, when you factor in the time/effort part of it. Still, it's rewarding when I look at her and know that I built that. Just sayin' that I can now understand why quality cabs cost what they cost. If I had to build a cab like that for someone else, I'd have to charge at least 3 times what it cost me, to make it worth my while... if you see what I mean ;)
Did you factor in your time?

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
TRM cabs are top-notch. He actually signs his work!

The mini 12" cab I bought from him about five years ago is still going strong. I was very satisfied and the price was excellent. I bought mine on eBay; IIRC, it was already built, so I received it quickly and had a chance to see the wood first. I did the grill and the sunburst and added the MG logo.

(I've cleaned off the white paint and touched up the edges since these photos were taken, but I haven't tried to stave of the effects of use and moderate abuse too much. It gets knocked around a lot and I don't care! I like the way it looks. The foam rubber on the speaker is to keep the metal guitar stand that fits so neatly in the cab from getting stuck on the speaker magnet. It's a 150W Eminence Wheelhouse, and the magnet's really strong. I think the whole thing weighs 16.2 pounds without the stand and spare cable; they add maybe a pound and a half. I can lift it easily with my pinky.)

It was louder than a Marshall half-stack when I A/B'd the two. Not kidding. The Marshall may have had a farther throw, but I was on a platform twenty feet above the crowd and couldn't check. That's obviously more about the speaker than the cabinet, of course.

79B32E3B-D9F5-40C1-8094-86B9CCC4BFE1.jpeg

3462D8AB-4531-42E5-9AC2-5F8711E0CDE8.jpeg

Last edited:

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Yeah, you could pick up Fender amp cabs often for $125. Even BF or SF.
The last Super Reverb empty cab I had I sold for $150 and delivered it!
Now the prices are way up.
This stuff never ceases to amaze me.