1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Where’s the American Original 70’s reviews

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Denton, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Denton

Denton Tele-Meister

I’ll admit to not doing an extensive search, but I never see any reviews on here of people who bought one. Am I missing something? Anyone have one? The pickups great, not great?

I’ve been wanting a white/maple one for over a year and bought a Les Paul instead. I’m thinking of selling the Les Paul and these AO 70’s still are calling to me.

Just looking for some honest reviews outside of the paid reviews online. Anyone?

2. Chicken Curry

Chicken Curry Tele-Meister

I've been wondering myself. I think the timing of their release might have something to do with the silence? Is it the Cunife humbuckers?

3. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

I know there are exceptional examples, but weren’t the 70s generally considered pretty much the worst era of the 3 major (Fender, Gibson, Martin) manufacturers? Serious question...if you can get quality reproductions of the golden era (40s for Martin, 50s and 60s for Fender and Gibson), and instruments from the “resurgence era” (the 90s) are still somewhat affordable, then why would anybody go for a faithful reproduction of the most unpopular era? (the popularity of the HS 72 Telecaster notwithstanding)

4. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I too am waiting for someone who has an original and compares the two. This may be seen as sacrilege but I prefer the sound of good Gibson humbuckers over the wide range humbucker, but I love the look and have owned a 70's custom and deluxe

5. Denton

Denton Tele-Meister

It’s good to know I’m not the only one. It was a pretty significant release a year ago as far as RI Tele’s go and with the new magnet material...yet basically crickets on the largest Tele site on the internet.

I’ve seen a couple go in the $1500 range on Reverb but there’s just not many used ones popping up. I’m wondering if they just aren’t selling or what. I do think they are a ridiculous price new, but I think that for all Fender and Gibson’s these days. I long for the days when an AVRI was like $1000.

6. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Holic

When was a brand new AVRI $1000?

I don't remember that, around here anyway. It would be hard for Fender to top their excellent 2012-2017 AV series guitars.

Almost Custom Shop, maybe as good. IMHO.

Fendereedo likes this.
  7. meadwill

meadwill TDPRI Member

There’s 3 five star reviews on reverb. That’s not saying much though. I have an MiM 72 Custom and it’s a pretty great guitar aside from the poly finish. I paid $900 for it brand new and added some upgrades like 62 bridge pickup and a bigsby.

8. Denton

Denton Tele-Meister

I bought a 62RI Jazz in 07 for $1050 or so on MF. I remember looking at a CS Jazz that was $1500 a little before that on MF, but I couldn’t justify that extra money. Ric basses new were $1000 too. I bought one in 05.

The teles and strats may have been slightly more? But they were close to $1K. Used were like $800 IIRC.

Anyway, everything seems to have gone up in price over the past year.

9. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

Sold a 74 custom..it’s a memory, and not a very good one. In short- If my old 74 was made like the AO, I’d still have it.

fender improved on pretty much everything. The finish, feel, and overall stability of the AO70s is ahead of the actual 70s era guitars I’ve owned and played.

and dare I say it, the new cunife wrhb is every bit as great as the original...maybe slightly more tonal presence, which I prefer.

The neck on the AO is by FAR an improvement, IMO .

*edit* but if I was gonna build a 70s type custom, I’d probably start with a Vintera body and build it up with a cunife bridge in the neck and a hotter sc in the bridge, 1meg pots, and get the neck I truly wanted. Probably could save >$700 and have a sick daily player. Just being honest.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Denton likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.