When your worship leader calls out the congrigation for being distracted during worship!

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by Ascension, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

First off thanks for the complement.
    Will take that as a observation from an outsider seriously.
    What you can't see is the frustration from the team side and feeling we are entertainment Sunday after Sunday. We go outside the Church to do an event and it's much different we see folk respond and participate but many Sundays it's like we are playing a concert to a distracted and non focused crowd then they clap at the end. Pastor has been much harsher than Billy at times on it.
    Here is one morning in particular where the Pastor stopped worship stepped in read the group a riot act with a get in the game here or we go home then handed back off to the team. Worship leader and I stepped in and pushed till things broke here https://app.box.com/s/maeh74prjslcank7lkosoqizcmvou68e .
    That morning changed this church and many of us refuse to go BACK to a traditional denominational mindset we want MORE!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  2. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

But does GOD want more? I agree that less distraction is a wonderful thing. But some people have messy lives, and messy phases of life.
    I wonder if the people running the nursery also DEMAND MORE from parents and kids and church boards? (may the sermon and music end on time so the caretakers aren't stuck with these bratty kids for extra 45 minutes while the sermon or music rambles on to the entertainers content and Ego.)

Just saying! I agree: When at church, try to focus on church. But it's not always possible, or even in peoples nature. And church has to be run like a business (there are bills and regulations and...)

mRtINY likes this.
  3. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Sorry to hear about that, it sounds like it's a very frustrating situation.

4. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

If I knew this Church didn't want more than what has been here I would be SO out the door. Does God want more than what most any Church in the US is giving him YES! Pastor here and several went to Pensacola in the height of that revival along with the pastor of the big mega church most of these folk came out of. They all got hammered got hungry came back and started working on setting fire to that Church. When that Pastor left the denomination tried to put it all back in the box and get back to dead dry no power typical Southern Baptist don't rock the boat religion. That is what birthed this Church a group wanted more Love More power more GOD.
    I am used to services where at the end no one can leave for an hour or more because no one can get up and walk because of the power of God falling regularly. Services where folk get saved healed delivered at the Altar where folk come in hungry and expect to meet with God. When I sat in the first Sunday it was NOT what I was used to and I was like Lord where did you just send me?? This place was much to dry and traditional for my comfort but there was also something that pulled me there. After some prayer and a few meetings became obvious the Pastor Worship leader myself and a few others want more we are all convinced God wants more HERE so ---. It has become desperation we are going deeper get in if you will but if you want a comfortable place where you won't be challenged in your faith this ain't it.

5. Special Tom

Special Tom Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

"dead dry no power typical Southern Baptist don't rock the boat religion"

Really shouldn't knock other denominations for their worship style. Best I remember we worship the same God and Savior. Speaking from experience (I was a musician for a Healing Ministry for a time and just retired from an SB Orchestra). One day God might show you another path to take.

GoldieLocks likes this.
  6. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

This church came out of the Southern Baptist. For years the pastor of a specific church was open to moves of the spirit open to praying for the sick gifts of the spirit open flowing worship ect. When he retired the denomination brought in new leadership and slammed the door on it all so the core of this church walked away and formed this body.
    It was over a lot more than just than just music and worship style. It's context for our body without it there can be no point of reference as to why our leadership takes the position we do on worship and other things.
    Older community churches of many denominations here have abandoned communities because of racial demographic changes and money and ran for the more affluent and whiter suburbs. That's a hard fact and sore spot for quite a number of us here we were abandoned. Many of us have deep roots here it's home and we won't leave and rather choose to stay as watchmen on the wall and gatekeepers we dig in then stand and fight for our communities.
    Just had a big interracial UPC Church do the unthinkable here and buy a Church of Christ campus in my neighborhood when they bailed. They moved from the suburbs into the City to reach out and build something here. This I support and even though I have some doctrine issues with them I thank GOD they are HERE! FINALLY some one who will not bow to the witches, occultist, radical homosexuals and freedom from religion folk here + are so racially mixed you can't call it anything other than just a church. Praising and praying folk who won't back up and won't back down plus it's a hoot seeing a drum set in the old baptistry and trust me you will not go to sleep in one of their services. Pastor is a good friend they are all over the community here meeting needs serving the folk in love. Now that is a Church no matter what denomination name is on the sign that I support.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  7. Special Tom

Special Tom Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

You're discussing denominations again and this forum is not supposed to be about that. This is a common ground forum (or at least I thought it was) to discuss worship service players, to share positives and negatives that would influence and affect our worship--things that we could use to improve our worship services but not put down other denominations. If I'm wrong I apologize.

8. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Point well taken. Here in Birmingham the simple fact that many churches of more than one denomination did abandon communities like mine in mass cause of race and money is a sore spot. Will alter the post earlier to be less toward a particular denomination. Still is absolute truth that a drastic change in not just worship style but overall attitude in spiritual freedom is what birthed the group I now work with.

9. asatattack

asatattack TDPRI Member

The first time I played in a church band during a worship service, the worship leader told off the crowd and walked off the stage!

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI forum mobile app

10. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

Whoa....

11. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Been in a couple services over the years where I sure have felt like it can tell you that. Services where the worship team and pastor are pouring their hearts out but the crowd is like stone.
    Where I am now it's getting better and the Pastor won't allow us to just plod through a service. Has been hard on the message we are going to have a God encounter here if you don't want that there is the DOOR if you DO then lets get down to business. Come HUNGRY and lets go DEEP!
    Just picked up a keyboard player who I have worked with for many years and now the Worship leader Wes and I are beginning to jell. We are starting to spend time working on some fresh material. Goal is to begin using in house written material this year.
    More stuff like THIS!
    Billy and I spontaneous song.
    https://app.box.com/s/la36ozti7k2bm6ob8u4b4r13fdjoe9i4
    Wes and I spontaneous songs.
    https://app.box.com/s/j2xwgoqfcaor0rlfcq24
    https://app.box.com/shared/b1np52vzsf
    Later same night Birmingham Prayer furnace total spontaneous song.
    https://app.box.com/shared/x9bzd9cdm8

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.