When your worship leader calls out the congrigation for being distracted during worship!

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by Ascension, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Early on here Billy spanks a few with get off the cell phones and get your head in the game wake the heck up folk!! My home Church is becoming a pretty serious and real place to be both in worship and from the messages. Want to just warm a seat and not connect or be challenged this ain't the place to come!
    LOVE IT!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    Deeve and Danjabellza like this.
  2. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

It all depends:
    Maybe Mary's husband just left her. John's waiting for a text about his very sick Mother. Duke just lost his business and is bankrupt. Martha is one step away from becoming an atheist. Mark just got off the nightshift and hasn't slept in 26 hours (I did this for a few years). OR maybe everything about this church is poorly done? (not here necessarily - but easily possible in other locations). Or like me: I'd rather read the Bible quietly than charismatically embrace emotional highs or lows.

Although sometimes Church Bands are so full of their own self-importance and spectacle that I'd rather ignore them and chat with the person beside me about REAL issues.

But I'm just happy people walk through the door at all. Bring all your troubles... Just show up longing for truth and meaning. If you fall asleep - YOU did it in a safe place. (the louder you Snore - the MORE I can turn my amp up!)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  3. Special Tom

Special Tom Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Yep--really an inappropriate call out IMO, but not everyone shares that opinion, I know--borders on the "look at what's going on up here" rather than "bring your troubles to the Lord". However I attended a church ONE TIME where the worship music was live but the preacher was actually at another location and some people watched/took notes on their Iphones, Ipads, etc. even though there was a large projection screen.

GoldieLocks likes this.
  4. GoldieLocks

Yep, the challenge is to keep church REAL.

5. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

...even if the music ends up sucking a bit...

GoldieLocks likes this.
  6. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I think nudging people to be present and put the rest of the world on pause for a few moments is ok if done tactfully and with the right spirit, which I think your leader was doing here.

Freedom Reigns is a good song. I'm partial to the first version I heard many years ago by Rita Springer. The newer versions have tweaked the melody just a little.

You guys sound good.

eallen likes this.
  7. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Love Rita but my favorite version of that song was when Kent Henry was at my old Church and I was playing it with him. Old dog kept telling me to "light it up" and bout wore my FINGERS off that night LOL!!
    recording---- https://app.box.com/s/gf6ao9dufv2yduel2kradockuhadqcpu
    The worship leader was milder than the pastor has been on getting their heads in the game at our place and it has made a huge difference.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    joe_cpwe likes this.
  8. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

New IPhone Panic Button Will Quickly Switch To Bible App When You're Caught Browsing Facebook At Church
    September 12th, 2017
    [​IMG]

CUPERTINO, CA—The new Apple iPhone will now include a “panic button” that will allow Christians to quickly switch from Facebook, other social media, or video games over to the Bible app for whenever they get caught messing around on their phone in church, Apple announced Tuesday.

The feature can be added on for just $299 as an option while purchasing your new iPhone online.

Speaking at the highly anticipated iPhone 8 event Tuesday morning, Apple CEO Tim Cook demonstrated how the easily accessible button will instantly pull up the passage being preached on, hiding from viewers how you were actually goofing off on your phone just moments before.

“No matter if you’re commanding your armies in Clash of Clans or Facebook-stalking an old friend from high school, the iPanic Button will immediately make it look like you’re actually paying attention to the sermon,” Cook said to wild cheers from the audience. “Now you can look spiritual to the ushers, deacons, and passersby without having to hear a single word the pastor preaches each Sunday.”

“There’s just one more thing,” he added as the crowd leaned in with suspense. “The iPhone 8 will also automatically check you in at church, so your reputation as a holy Christian will be broadcast to all your friends and family.”

The crowd went wild, and Apple’s website went down almost immediately due to the volume of Christians attempting to order the phone.

mRtINY and GoldieLocks like this.
  9. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Been in 2 churches that ran cell jammers in the santuaries during service no joke!

10. JuneauMike

Yeah, that seems overly manipulative.

11. GoldieLocks

I've known a few pastors who used their Cellphone Bible apps during sermons. It's the future...

I generally tuck my cellphone away. But there are many times when it may seriously be needed. What if the POPE is trying to get a hold of someone??? :lol:

12. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

NOTHING iis worse that having a cell phone that just keeps ringing during an altar call! Just saying--.

mRtINY likes this.
  13. JuneauMike

I can think of worse things.

A death in the family.

Cancer.

A sick child. You get the idea.

14. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

And what if one of those calls came through during a service? It may be better to wait till after the service to get that kind of news.....

15. JuneauMike

Yep, I agree. But I think my larger point is that people drag their lives with them into church. We had an old interim pastor who was really wise and someone I gained a lot of knowledge and perspective from (through osmosis, I suspect. Because at the time I wasn't thinking "this guy is brilliant." I was just half-listening). He'd actually encourage mothers with crying babies to stay in the sanctuary. It was the sound of life to him. Squirrely kids and distracted teenagers, etc, fine with him. I think that should apply to adults too. Sometimes people may not have anything to give at all, and in those times "just showing up" is good enough.

GoldieLocks and mRtINY like this.
  16. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

Interesting points of view. Our contemporary service which I play in was envisioned by our pastor to be family inclusive. Of course, she had 3 kids of her own middle school down to 2 yrs old when we started, which helped- but we want want families feeling comfortable. It's not in a sanctuary with pews but a level floor multi-purpose room with folding chairs. And they had the foresight to put a few sofas and low floor coffee tables back in one corner with legos and coloring stuff for the kids. Several families take up residence on the couches. The opposite back corner has tall cafe tables with tall stools. And there's coffee and goodies available in the back all through service. It's multigenerational, it works and the service feels alive.

GoldieLocks likes this.
  17. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

What we had were folk who sat there with an entertain us attitude. No participation in worship but clapped at the end like it was a concert. Pastor and the worship team finally had enough demanded more and in a service where it was like hitting a brass wall in worship the pastor steps in to the service a couple months back with a get in or we go home and stops everything. Nodded to me to drive us some where { no PRESSURE here} and pushes me WAY out of my comfort zone so I drop into a simple 2 chord pattern and push till it breaks. Here is that recording from the time the pastor hands off to me it breaks the spirit takes over band comes alive and Billy the worship leader really begins to flow when things break. Never been the same since here. We are not going back not going to settle anymore don't like it simply find some where else cause were going somewhere with or without you. The breakthrough service.
    https://app.box.com/s/maeh74prjslcank7lkosoqizcmvou68e

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  18. bear04

bear04 Tele-Holic

I'm a firefighter and 911 calls go to an app on my phone when I'm not at home or carrying my radio. At church I have my phone on vibrate but the app is set to over ride and blare the alarm regardless of the phones volume setting. So far it's never happened on a Sunday morning, but someday....

GoldieLocks likes this.
  19. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Worst one was when a choir member at Cathedral sat her purse by my 100 watt halfstack and that blasted phone went off during altar call. Amp was running at high gain had real volume the stuff came SCREAMING through the amp and I couldn't stop it. Finally found the purse with the phone and slung it across stage to stop the God Awfull racket. Cells were banned from the stage from that point on!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Deeve and bear04 like this.
  20. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

I'm fine with encouraging people to focus on God and dig into worship, but not with the cellphone/lunch/etc call-out. Like others have stated, he has no idea what people are doing on their phones. 90% of my church uses their phone as their Bible, I personally get prompted by God almost every Sunday to send a text or two to someone who needs to be encouraged, not to mention those with family emergencies.

To me this just comes off as self-importance. Obviously I don't know anyone involved, which is why I say that from an outsiders' perspective it "comes off" as self-importance. Maybe your church is a fairly closed community with no new people, and maybe this is a common & accepted occurrence. But if I had brought a non-Christian friend that morning who just happened to look at their phone at the wrong time and got called out from the stage, I would be both mortified & angry.

I've been a part of a call-out one other time. The guy was talking in between songs at a high school event, and amazingly there were a couple teenagers talking in the back, to which he raises his voice and says "Hey, I'm talking here!" Not "you're being distracting to other people," just "I'M the one talking." Completely self-centered, and it showed the guys' insecurity when his amplified voice over the PA was somehow threatened by 2 highschool kids talking in the back of the room.

I agree with the sentiment expressed in the video. We connect with God better when we're not on FB or thinking about lunch. I get it. I disagree with the timing though. Those remarks will be delivered & received so much better if they are planned at the very beginning of the worship set. Plan 1-2min where we talk about freeing our minds of distractions. When you look out at the church midsong and see someone on their phone, you're most likely responding out of irritation and/or anger, and it's going to come across as petty & reactionary.

Very nice & tasteful guitar playing though!

p.s. I'm trying hard to be delicate, I know that I'm completely ignorant of this church and the WL, I'm just trying to express how it comes across to an outsider.

GoldieLocks likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.