When your pedal collection surpasses your need and ability to play

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by telefunken, Apr 11, 2015.

1. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

One positive note..................I'm down to 4 boards now. What I need besides more time playing is a better amp and guitar:D:D

2. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted

Sell half of the pedals and the amp and buy a decent amp?

Great feeling getting rid of stuff :)

3. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I would be happy to get down to 30 pedals, one amp, and one guitar. The problem is which 30 pedals, which amp, which guitar?

(Keep the board on the right)

4. Gringo13

Gringo13 Tele-Holic

I always feel like my gear is waaaay better than my ability. Who cares... do what you love.

That said, the amp is the key, imo.

5. T Bone

T Bone Tele-Meister

My thoughts exactly, with the caveat that pickups matter a lot too....

I've got 3 pedal boards (getting ready to build another small one) and dozens and dozens of pedals (many duplicates on different boards). And 23 guitars (I think... :rolleyes:) and a decent number of good amps. Still gassing for more!

6. telefunken

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!!!!!!!:D

7. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

I get flustered when I have to add a 6th pedal to my board, meaning I have to create a second row of pedals. I don't know how you pedal junkies do it!!!

I will say this, I at least love the organization and how they are all layed out in the photo. If I ever go off the deep end with pedals, I will follow that kind of board setup.

8. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If it brings you joy and happiness then it is all justifiable.

9. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

As small as my setup is, my wife thinks I'm crazy and have too much! I keep telling her that there are folks out there who have A LOT more gear than I have!

I'll be sure to show her this one, so thanks!

As for your 'problem'...... (Not going to say whether I think it's physical by having too many pedals, or mental by having too many pedals :D) I would go with all the others and say a good amp is the bread that's buttered!

M

10. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Omigod the permutations would keep me up at night.

11. telefunken

And it will keep you from actually playing the guitar..................turning knobs, rearranging the order, and buying and selling.............:oops:

12. Frodebro

But do you enjoy turning knobs and rearranging your board as much as you enjoy playing? ;)

13. telefunken

To be totally honest.............................YES!!!!!!:twisted:

14. Frodebro

There ya go. Some people spit out the phrase "I'd spend more time tweaking than playing" as if it were the same thing as blowing their money on hookers and cocaine instead of feeding their families.

My gear is how I unwind after work. I might pick up a guitar and noodle in front of the TV for a few hours, I might fire up the DAW and work on a song, or I might just sit there and search out new sounds. No matter what I'm doing, though, the end result is always the same-I relax. And I enjoy every minute of it.

15. telefunken

It's as if I wrote that post myself..............................:cool::cool:

16. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

If you squint, the pic looks like a robot

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I can appreciate someone having four boards and my best friend had a few running at the same time for different bands that he was playing in, but for me, it would be too much to maintain and seems like I would never be able to completely explore the potential of each pedal and it would probably make me go insane thinking about the pedal combination possibilities.

18. KCStratMan

KCStratMan Tele-Afflicted

tf, frodo, I'm with ya. For me building tube amps and custom partscasters and collecting some high end pedals is a living and a hobby and occupational therapy and a legitimate excuse to unwind playing for a few hours a week just testing audio components and guitar setups, as well as a legacy for my son who hits his teens next week. They'll find me someday in my man cave still holding my strat with the serious smile of the blues on my face.

19. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

I've been pondering this too, I think I want to go back to my 3 HK preamps, my pair of stereo amps and a few delay reverb. There's also a old Art SGX 2000 up above them, pitch detune chorus, a Raytheon 12ax7 in it, pitch shifted delays, huge reverbs ect.

[​IMG]

These 3 stacked are what I cut my teeth on, I've got them set up with the most primo tubes you could ever want, all footswitchable. Last one is my "blues shredder", a old real Sonotone 12ax7 and a Sylvania 5751.

I remember having to setup for gigs and how much pain it was to do that, but I gave that up years ago. Now it's just me at home and a looper having fun. There are certain pedals I wouldn't give up, JD-10 which has been in line since 90's, VFE rocket EQ, and a few other VFE. Smiletone Trem Broulee and my new Akai Headrush I got for $55. But many like Lumpy Lemon Drop and a few other I could replace with tube preamps and a couple EQ/comp pedals.

And I blame forums like this for this (yes, my fault), but bad thing is most I got at such a bargain price I couldn't argue with trying most of them, they sound great. But I think I just need to get back to what speaks to me the most and just play my heart out.

Many times I remember coming home after work, heading to basement and just loosing myself for 2-3hrs. Seems like anymore I spend as much time re-routing pedals and adjusting settings as I do playing. It shouldn't be that way. I loved my tones before I got sucked into this vortex of endless "grass is greener" upgrades when in reality when I go back it's all there to begin with. I love my tube preamps and the real tube tones they provide, not that all pedals are bad but those preamps always delivered the goods. I won't replace my VFE Pale Horse, White Horse or Kingsley Page no matter what, I actually love just dumping all the rest and using them and a delay. As you can see I'm extremely conflicted but I do need to thin the heard.

20. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

When it gets outta control just sell everything and start over.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.