When your dog gets to do what its breed is good at...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by mrboson, May 14, 2014.

1. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

We have a rat terrier, so you can guess where this post is going. He's a retired therapy dog, so his training and background make him a pretty gentile and loving dog. He loves our other pets too, his best friend is my daughter's cat. As far as being a terrier, he has a lot of that high energy personality common to terriers, but rat terriers have a kind of "off switch" that makes it easy to transition them into a calm and relaxed state. (All in all, IMO a great breed if you can make the commitment to training and socialization starting from a young age and maintain it throughout their lives).

So the cats like to catch wood rats and bring them alive into the house where they get released. My wife and daughter, of course just love that. I am thus the appointed rat hunter. Fortunately, I have a deadly weapon to assist. Turns out Mooshu has another switch, one that requires no training. I just say, "Mooshu, let's get that rat" and he turns into a deadly predator. The rat could be anywhere in the house, but he'll find it for me and go into an alert posture near whatever furniture or appliance the vermin is hiding under. Last night it was the kitchen stove. I move it away from the wall, and Mooshu has that rat in his mouth quicker than the eye can follow. A couple of flicks of his head back and forth and the rat's back is broken. I tell him to drop it and he puts it at my feet (usually still breathing so I finish the job) and I dispose of it. Once it is over, that is one happy dog. I mean dog's live to please their owners, but when they get to do it in the capacity of their breeding? They go to a whole new level.

The cats used to be able to catch rats a few times a week, but lately it has been months in between catches. I figure we are doing the neighborhood a public service.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  2. Elias Graves

Elias Graves Friend of Leo's

My schnauzer will absolutely destroy a rag doll fox in a game of tug o war. Say the word "foxy" and he'll fetch that thing and become a vicious killer!
    Funny thing about schnauzers, though, they won't hardly bite a human for anything. All out years of raucous "foxy" and I've yet to get so much as a tooth mark. One of the reason German farmers liked them so much. They'd defend livestock and kill rats but won't bite the neighbor kid.

3. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have two Welsh Terriers; which are also go to ground dogs like rat terriers. Mine had a magical moment when they ceased to be destructive and just calmed down. Seemed to be about two years and just one day it happens. However their predatory instinct never goes away and stalking doves, squirrels, cats and other vermin seems part of their life's duty.

The little female we have seems to like flies - a lot. I just say "Get the Fly" and she goes into full huntress mode until she snatches it out of the air or traps it behind the window blinds. I'm a little resistant to her coming and licking me in the face after these accomplishments, but it beats chasing the things with a fly swatter when they get in.

4. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

I have a greyhound who would be called a retired racer, except he flunked out of racing school and never made it to the track.
    He is exceptionally good at lying on the couch and sleeping all day.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Harley is a puggle (pug+beagle) and does the lap dog thing. If someone sits down he *has* to sit in their lap, or next to them on the sofa. At night he waits until we're asleep then slips between us, under the duvet. I've never had a dog that liked sleeping under the covers before.

Attached Files:

6. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

i have had a couple of Border Terriers in the past both lived to the grand age of 13 this breed is absolutely fearless will kill anything that squeaks even up against badgers they will fight to the death beautiful little dogs i also once had a Patterdale Terrier had to get rid of it it was crazy totally un controllable final straw it attacked my dad ha ha

7. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

When my Shetland Sheepdog was younger.
    He would 'herd' any Cat that got outside, back into the house.

8. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My miniature Schnauzer nips me gently sometimes to let me know he’s very hungry. As if I can’t hear the tortured howling. They are really loud dogs.

9. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

My two West Highland Terriers were sweet, good tempered little dogs, but when they saw something small and furry they became truly psychotic.

Squirrels, mice, rabbits, etc. just didn't stand a chance.

But, that's what terriers are supposed to do.

10. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

you let your cats bring live rats in your house...that would not be allowed in my house

11. tony hunt

tony hunt Tele-Meister

rats

Our Jack Russell snoozes the whole day waiting for night time when the rats are about.
    Here in the city it usually only takes about 30 seconds to get the scent.

Attached Files:

12. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

That's the way it is with Mooshu. He shows no aggression to little kids, cats/kittens, we even had a ferret for a while. To be honest, I was worried about that one, but the dog saw the ferret as part of his pack and they were fine.

Yeah we have racoons that come around. He tangled with one adult and managed to come away unharmed. The next time the coon wasn't alone. That encounter required a vet trip and lots of stitches. But he learned from that hasn't tried that again.

Saying "Let" implies that I have any sort of control of what a cat will do or not do. On the contrary, I think cats "let" us keep them as pets :lol:

I'm just lucky to have a rat killer on the payroll. If it wasn't for that I think we wouldn't be able to tolerate the cats, or we would just never let them go outside.

On the OP topic of dog behaving according to their breeds, when I was a kid we had viszlas (Hungarian pointers). They are bred as field dogs, and make great gun dogs. Typically they are used for hunting bird and small furred critters. One viszla we had, Zach, was an amazing hunter. He had an uncanny knack for flushing medium size game like pig and then chasing after and get them to head back towards me. I was such a lousy shot though.... He must have known that. One time he ran a boar back towards me, and then when it was in front of me, grabbed it from behind and dragged it down onto the ground. He let go, looked at me as if to say, "Shoot it, you idiot!" I didn't miss that one, Zach would have been pissed if I had! Great hunting dog.

13. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Our black lab loves to ...fetch things! Imagine that! He especially loves it when you take him down to the river.
    I swear he'd swim out and get that stick over and over until he died of exhaustion. You have to make him take a break. Makes me wish I was a duck hunter just so he'd get the full experience of being a "retriever"
    Watched a show on labs a while back that highlighted all of their anatomical features (webbing between toes, tail that acts as a rudder, special layer of fur/skin) that make them perfect for swimming in cold water to fetch things. Amazing animals.

14. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i see what youre saying about them letting you have them as a pet :lol:

but i wouldnt let my cat be an outdoor cat so i guess the point is moot

15. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

We have a Llahsa cross and a Tibetan terrier.Monks use them to warn of intruders and people approaching the property .Thats their job and they do it very well .Drives us nuts .Of course in Tibet they hand over to those huge mountain dogs to get and kill the intruder .In our case its a rolling pin .

16. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

I have a Catahoula Bulldog, a cross between a Catahoula Leopard dog and American Bulldog. They're bred here to hunt wild hogs. A breeder gave her to us, explaining that she was untrainable, showing no inclination to hunt and he, in good conscience couldn't sell her as a hunting dog. I'm not a hunter so I was happy to have her as a companion for our Yellow Lab, Buddy. Lulu and Buddy are great pals now, both superb and fearless watch dogs with the exception that Lulu is afraid of our ceramic piggy bank. Honest!

Lulu:

[​IMG]

17. Bernie

Bernie Tele-Afflicted

We had a retired racing Greyhound a few years ago and I was astounded the first time she sprinted in the back yard. There may be non-Greyhounds that are fast runners, but once you see a Greyhound run you realize that these dogs were built specifically for that purpose. Their anatomy and physiology are incredibly evolved toward this single purpose. They are amazing to watch and wonderful pets, and yes, they do sleep a LOT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Also had a pitbull, Bandit was his name. His favorite thing to do was whatever I wanted him to do. But he needed me around or he'd get up to no good. This was an amazing dog, raised in the country, and as nice as could be. I love his stories. Sorry in advance for the long post, but this dog was awesome.
    1. Gun dog - would hop around in the field under a hail of gun fire while we shot trap. You'd see the white tip of his tail sticking up out of the beans so you knew where not to shoot. He tried to bring back the clay pigeons, brought one intact back once, stepped on pile sitting there and broke them.
    2. Attempted to eat the end of a mortar while shooting fireworks.
    3. Licked the end of a shotgun barrel while my buddy was aiming through a scope. Almost lost him that day.
    4. Scared my neighbor when Bandit ran into the side of his car head first while he was cruising by. Car had a dent in the door. Dog was fine.
    5. He loved to chase 4 wheelers and try to eat their tires. If he got ahold he'd get pulled under the quad, get up and keep chasing.
    6. Found him one day when I got home chewing on my roommates snowmobile piston that arrived by ups that day. He wasn't too happy about that.
    7. He was fearless with gunfire, loud vehicles, terrified of the garden hose.
    8. I'd come home to find him lounging in the recliner in the front yard with a cat on either side, like best friends. But,if I was home he'd chase them, unsuccessfully.
    9. Only thing he ever did that kind if scared me was when he chased a wild distemper infected barn cat into the basement of the house. Grabbed it by the head, shook it once and snapped its neck.
    10. Had to watch your food closely. Caught him standing on the stove eating freshly cooked ravs out of the pot. He also figured out how to open the fridge. Would help himself to whatever was in there. Had yo eventually bungee chord it shut, til he figured that out. Ended up having to use a latch like you'd put on a shed.
    11. He caught wind of the Rottweiler in heat down the road. And was found stuck butt to butt with her, scared out of his mind
    12. Most loving dog I've ever met. He was a 95 lb lap dog. Wouldn't hurt anyone but he looked dang scary when you pulled up at our house, if you didn't know him.
    I had to leave him at the farm with my buddy I when moved into town. Couldn't make him a city dog, wouldn't have been fair to him.
    He passed away this last fall and my buddy and I cried our eyes out when we buried him between some pine trees next to a corn field at his house.
    I loved that dog

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1400104961.645157.jpg

19. Elias Graves

Elias Graves Friend of Leo's

We work very hard to keep ours from being yappy. It's a constant effort.

20. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

We have an Australian Cattle Dog (stumpy)/Rottweiler cross. He has the size and shape of an Aussie, but red and black coloring like a Rott. He is smart, busy, companionable and talky - lots of different barks, squeals and grunts.

We self-86'd Mack from the dog park because he herded the other dogs, and the other dog owners were unhappy about that. He'll try to herd children at birthday parties.

He is very protective of us, and his territory, and anything that wanders into our back yard dies. He and our other dog - female shepherd, lab, chow, etc. mix - work in tandem. I have found expired possums, rats, and cats, but no raccoons yet. I have saved my neighbors dopey cat several times. He dispaches the unfortunate creatures quickly - by shaking them violently - then goes on as if nothing happened, just doing my job sir.

When he gets hot he will go into the swimming pool to cool off - I understand getting in water is a characteristic of Aussies. When we first saw him at the SPCA, on a hot day, he was lying down in a large water bowl.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.