when you were young .. what did you think of the telecaster ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by brogh, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

My high school buddy got a new candy apple red Fender Strat in 1963 which I tried to talk my dad in buying one for me but ended up with a 1963 white Fender Esquire that the local music shop in Fairbanks (AK) had on sale. I couldn't stand the guitar because it wasn't cool looking and didn't have that Surf or Ventures tone. To me it was basically a "Hello I'm Johnny Cash" type of guitar.

I sold it for $100 to a guy in the Air Force just prior to entering the Navy in 1966. Up until 1988 I played Gibson ES335 and ES347 type of guitars. Returning from overseas in 1988 I was talked into buying a Fender Squire Telecaster mainly because I got a FREE amp in the deal. Well with 20 years having gone by since my first Tele experience I wasn't into cool anymore and (for the most part) Surf and Ventures was a thing of the past and I had gravitated towards the Bakersfield sound; especially the twang of Don Rich and other great tele players like Pete Anderson.

Today I have a Fender Custom Shop NOS Postmodern Tele, 1964 AVRI Tele and the 1988 Squire Tele.

2. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Hay brogh---Great Thread!!! I thought about it a million times how I hated the tele in my younger days and love them now. I read my story over and over in these post:p

First good guitar I ever had was a 1967 Jazzmaster I got new on sale for $300.00 including case. Back then you only had one guitar and amp. Now I have dozens of each but---I recall having problems with that guitar and having to borrow the drummers tele to get by. I hated the guitar(tele). The bridge pickup had more treble than I could bare. That set a bad impression for the guitar that carried over for years and years----I avoided the tele:rolleyes: That was in the 70's!

In the late 90's my friend and bass player kept encouraging me to play his tele. In a moment of weakness I agreed and played it some and didn't think much about it but something about it just grabbed me! I started playing it more and did some research about it and found it was a all original 1969 Tele.
    I found I could adjust my amp tone settings and get the tone I liked. I must have played that tele several years all the time and learned in it's original conditions was worth Thousands. So I got to feeling guilty about wearing out by buddy's guitar and started a quest of my own. I finally ended up with at 2003 Highway One. Latter on I also picked up a Affinity Squire Tele Special butterscotch and modded it with upgrades. Both of them I value so much and part of my regular arsenal. Like it's been said so many times before "Leo got it right the first time!" Platefire

Attached Files:

fender68 likes this.
  3. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

I never had an opinion on them one way or the other as a kid. My playing at that time was limited to 5 minutes of practice and that didn't last long. I do remember being fascinated with a '74 Deluxe Telecaster that was at the local music shop sometime in the late 70's. I just didn't have $400 to buy it. As a young adult I was heavily into the blues and didn't see them played too often. The guys I remember playing them were Phil Guy, Albert Collins and Steve Cropper. Buddy Guy was using one for a little while. I don'y know what made me want one but I started noticing them more probably in the last decade. I just liked the way they sound and their simple brilliance.

4. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

It has always been the only one for me.
    When I was a child my oncle made me see Bruce Springsteen, and to my eyes this guy was the epitome of rock.
    It has always been the most beautiful of 'em all.

5. tony hunt

tony hunt Tele-Meister

I thought the headstock was too small and kind of ugly. Now I find the strat type headstocks too flowery.

6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Treble. Thin. Ice pick. Unsubtle. Plank. Limited. Retro. Country. Clean. Not for gain stuff. Tough. Cool. Rough. Scratchy.

7. Lupo

Lupo Tele-Holic

Stratocaster was cool. Gibson (les Paul) was very cool. Telecaster was outdated.

Today, I know I don't like to play the Les Paul, I still love the Stratocaster, and Telecaster is pure fun, even if I don't like how much is fashion nowadays... it seems everybody

8. Theslack5

Theslack5 Tele-Meister

Telecasters always seemed to be hanging around the necks of people who were a bit scruffy like Joe Strummer, Keith Richards and Chrissie Hynde as apposed to Strats which were played by people dressed like Crockett and tubbs from Miami vice ( 80s Clapton ). I always thought the tele was the choice of the more interesting player when everyone else was playing Strats also the superstrat put me off Strats and onto the path to the tele for the longest time too.

swany likes this.
  9. Monotremata

Monotremata Tele-Afflicted

I sure wasn't interested in them.. As a kid in the late 70's/early 80s, I grew up listening to like my dad's Aerosmith and Zeppelin albums, and The Who, Cheap Trick, Black Sabbath and Kiss, so I was a Les Paul guy (and a big SG fan cause of Townshend and Iommi). I never really considered Teles cause I always saw those played by Springsteen and Keith Richards (It took me AGES before I came around to appreciate the Stones too hah) and at the time just wasn't my thing. The Tele was an old 'has-been' guitar hah. Even the Strat (which I got before my first Tele), that was Hendrix's thing and I was never gonna play like that guy. Around 89/90 when I wanted to start playing guitar, Led Zeppelin put out that first 4 disc box set, and all of sudden MTV was showing videos from them.. The minute I saw that Rockshow performance of Dazed And Confused and the black and white Danish TV performance, it was over.. That thing was gnarly and nasty! Of course me being a metal head into thrash and death metal, I ended up with an Ibanez RG550 my cousin sold me cheap. Soon after, my sister showed me the 'real' Pink Floyd and seeing Syd playing an Esquire sold me. First time I heard the Swans and realized Norman Westberg played one, I realized I could do some seriously heavy sonic damage with one. I didn't end up getting my first standard until 2006, but it was tough for me to play because of the difference in neck coming from the tiny Ibanez I learned on and my Strat. Sold it and got my 2012 Classic 60s in 2013 and don't have any need to play anything else again. I can do everything I wanted with that guitar and then some.. They were all right, it really is what YOU put into it and sometimes, less really is more.

10. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Big square plank. Ugleee.

Despite some of my favourite guitarists playing one I never looked twice at them until I heard Roy Buchanan (only about 5 years ago). Bought one pdq after that.

Now I think they're the Mona Lisa, the Cistine chapel, the Three Graces, you name it.

11. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I thought it was the coolest guitar in the world!
    All my heroes (Keith Richards,Joe Strummer,Prince & Bruce Springsteen) played a tele.

It is still the coolest guitar in the world!

12. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Thanks For Jumping in Guys,

Loved what I've read so far :), I see most of us "disliked" the tele in the beginning, it's a strange guitar, if i could go back in time i would knock myself on the head :D

Keep stories coming !

cheers

13. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Considering my first band was a heavy metal/hard rock, and I was playing humbucker equipped strat copies, I didn't think much about them, other than being unsuitable for that. Typical "It's a country guitar" idea.

Then, around the time I joined here, I had a copy of a '72 Telecaster Deluxe, with the WRHBs that sparked my interest, but had to sell it to move.

Then a couple years ago, I got the urge, and a bit of money, to fill out my arsenal of strat, Jazz bass, and P bass by getting a tele. And I'll play anything on it, from country bits to downtuned metal, especially since I replaced the ceramic Squier pickups with my own builds.

Teles really are more versatile than most people have believed.

14. k.a.s.

k.a.s. TDPRI Member

Since I've started to play guitar I was a huge Strat fan and Telecaster was quite far from my "cool guitar standard" putting it lightly.
    But about eight years ago everything changed dramatically: I fell in love with teles and wanted to buy one. Bought my first '91 MIJ tele shortly and since then telecaster is my main guitar.

15. LyleGorch

LyleGorch TDPRI Member

Can't remember that far back.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  16. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

When I was a kid the only people who played Tele's were country musicians.

My first pro guitar was a 60's SG with two P-90 pickups that I bought from a Pawn shop for $100 w/case.

I was at a friends house who had a Gibson and a Tele he handed me the Tele and said "Try this one", I loved the way the neck felt and we traded straight across.

My friends were giving me grief for having a Tele "that's a country guitar" until they read that Jimmy Page used one for the first Zeppelin album. Then it was cool!

I had/played that Tele for almost 20 years, locally & on the road.

I no longer have the '66 Tele (that was sold due to a divorce) but have a '52 RI and a MIJ '62 RI.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  17. North East Al

North East Al Tele-Meister

I was always OK with teles, but couldn't afford one. Growing up I was listening to the Clash and Stranglers, both Tele sounds and both black 60s models. 20 years later I got my own.

18. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

The real question is...do you still think Springsteen's a poseur? Ha

19. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I never looked at Teles for many years. I hadn't even touched one or ever considered playing them. I was playing Ibanez RGs, having had SGs, Strats and various odd guitar models over the years. Our bass played brought a Tele copy to reherasals on night for me to try. I played a few chords, was totally unimpressed and carried on with the Ibbys. But something stuck so I bought a copy - think it was one of the Vintage models. I thought it was rattly, thin sounding and looked a bit odd. I carried on though and got one of the big F's models. I still wasn't sold on the look or the sound but I remember the neck being really comfortable.
    Eventually I played around with my amp settings and it all began to make sense. Now I have a few Teles and that's all I really play.

20. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I always liked the Telecaster shape and style. White body, white pickguard seemed sophisticated. I associated it with the Blonde on Blonde sound and Syd Barrett.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.