when you were young .. what did you think of the telecaster ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by brogh, Mar 1, 2016.

1. John How

John How Tele-Meister

When I was young, I thought tele's were just ugly, twangy, old people guitars. My first real guitar was a Strat, 1967 sunburst with a rosewood fingerboard. Many years later when I was approaching "old people" status, I made my own Tele style guitar.....

2. birv2

birv2 Tele-Afflicted

I remember seeing the 60's band Rhinoceros live, and they had a very cool dude playing the heck out of a Tele. If you've heard Apricot Brandy, you are familiar with that snap and twang. Along with Michael Bloomfield, i didn't have the sense that it was "old people's guitar".

3. cdb1961

cdb1961 TDPRI Member

In my youth I always looked more at twin horned bodies. My first good guitar was a Mosrite Ventures model (should have kept that one) and then on to many years of acoustics. Then 10 years ago, I picked up a used MIM Strat (Jimmy Vaugh model) at a pawn shop, kept trying to find that tone that I immediately found in my Tele. Strat is gone but the Tele is a permanent addition. Humbuckers are in my PRS but the single coils SO good in the tele.

4. PeteGalaxie

PeteGalaxie Tele-Meister

My first "good" guitar was a Telecaster. Must have been around '73 or '74. I didn't keep it very long because it wasn't
    "cool" enough. Only Country music players used them like Buck Owens... None of my guitar heroes used a Tele - at the time I didn't know Page and Beck had both used Telecasters/Esquires.

I'm a lot older now and I have have two Telecasters. Love 'em.

5. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

What I remember the most, is that Clarence White, Carl Wilson and Jeff Beck played them. It was an
    odd-looking thing to me at first, but it looked retro, even in the 60s. Very un-Strat and SG looking.
    Best thing was, it sounded great for rhythm guitar, which was the way electrics were used in early rock & roll. The lead segment in most tunes, was a short fill-section. Chording was the main component of most songs and in my mind, the Tele excelled with a jazzy rhythm stop and a brighter middle position. I liked the tone in comparison to the other guitars available. Except for the 335. That would have also been a pick for me. For the price of my '70 Tele, it offered what I was after. 46 years later, I'm still hooked on the Tele and have quite a few that are all a little different, but all with the familiar Tele feel.

6. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Damn, this is my favorite thread of all time.

7. BillNeaves

BillNeaves Tele-Meister

When I was a kid, I saw Waylon playing his tele and it was instantly cool to me. Has been ever since.

8. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

My first couple of solid bodies were Fender Tele's. They were early 80's models. I kind of thought that Tele's were somewhat masculine and my hormones were in full swing back then. I have always liked hardtail solid bodies and I liked the simplicity and purity of Tele's. Later I switched to hardtail Strats but I assembled my own. So I have never owned a Fender Strat. But I moved onto Strats for the comfort and versatility. Now I see that Tele's are being offered with contours. Good idea but not quite as pure anymore.

9. garryspicer

garryspicer TDPRI Member

Roy Buchanan got me interested in them.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  10. Saigonbob

Saigonbob TDPRI Member

I would guess I thought of Pete Townshend's Schecter teles - I would have read about them in Ralph Denyer's Guitar Handbook, which is the first book I put folks onto when they want a good read/reference.

11. Larry Mal

Larry Mal Tele-Meister

I guess I'm a little different, I always thought they were cool. I knew I loved the Fender sound because Jazzmasters are my favorite, and I didn't want to be just another ******* with a Strat. So a Telecaster was a natural choice.

Owenmoney likes this.
  12. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter Tele-Meister

I really enjoyed reading your post, because it was in Ralph Denyer's book that I first realised how beautiful Teles are. It's been many years since I read the book, but I remember a shot of a bound red Tele - perhaps the same one you're talking about - and it was perfection to my young, covetous eyes! Up to that point it had to be a strat for me because that's what Mark Knopfler played.

13. Larry Mal

Larry Mal Tele-Meister

Ralph Denyer's book is great.

14. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

I had noticed that Joe Strummer and Andy Summers played them. Then a friend of mine who lived across the street got a 70's natural Tele custom. Once I played it, I knew I liked it!

15. doc.d

doc.d TDPRI Member

When I was a kid I though Teles were the cheap sister of the sparkly, "comes-with-everything-you-can-ever-think-of" Strats.
    Similar in concepts, but not quite as cool, versatile (where is the 3rd PU, the trem?)

...and then I found I liked how Muddy Waters' sound cut through a stage full of instruments playing. So did Steve Cropper.
    And then I watched Dylan's 30th stage anniversary on TV (live at 3am in Europe) - and there were SO MANY Teles played in so many different ways by so many different people... :)
    (Neil Young played an LP and was still the coolest dude that night though ;-) )

I knew I was gonna have one.

16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I started paying serious attention to guitars at around 10/11. Checked out a bunch of Big Guitar Books at the library and ogled everything. I had a fascination with Strats of course, but even then I felt they were too ubiquitous. I wanted a Jazzmaster more than anything. I didn't have a clue they were so cheap then, and they were far from being an up-an-coming trend. I just loved the shape and look. Teles? I skipped over those pages on my way to the Strats and offsets. I came around so late to the Tele game: how could I??? Now nothing feels so good or sounds just right. Now I have 4 and working on building my 5th.

17. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

I've seen a bunch of new members lately tougth to give a bump to this thread to have more stories collected, id' love to hear more !

Cheers

18. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

My first guitars were just MIJ copies,,but then I graduated to a Fender Mustang, the an early seventries Les Paul Deluxe, then in about Seventy seven I got two Japanese Teles, one Penco and One Ibanez, gave both the Keef mods, left one standard tuned and one open G, I've had Teles ever since. Right now I have two FSR special run BSB with noiseless pups, and tow Bajas, one BSB and one Desert Sand. The DSis my number one, so I've been a tele guy for almost forty years

19. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

When I was a kid it was Strat city, everyone I knew had one. But I would always see Keef and his Tele and be intrigued by the simplicity, it looked cool, and I'd think of it as "the other Fender." I especially liked the pickguard. Now the Strat is "the other Fender."

brogh likes this.
  20. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

I'll be telling this to a close friend who plays the other fender ... haha I really want to see the look on his face :p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.