When you think that you might have to put a Telecaster down!

swervinbob

Friend of Leo's
I call this syndrome “Looking For A Reason.” I fight it all of the time. Get it set up with new strings and put it down for a little while. Next thing you know, you’ll be reaching for it first again.

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
When I get meh about any of my gear, playing or writing, I try to listen to music for inspiration or learn something fun to play that is completely out of my wheelhouse. Listen to this, it’s something only a tele (and Jimmy Olander) could do:

Don‘t give up on your tele! We are fickle creatures! You will instantly regret it, if you sell it.

I hope the new pickups inspire a new love for your tele! Here’s one that looks like yours, maybe this’ll do it!

Last edited:

whoanelly15

Tele-Afflicted
+1 on a new set of strings.

@sloppychops - this gave me the giggles.
Yeah, those CS Teles tend to go bad after a few years. Nothing much you can do but "put them down" as you say.
1664881460749.gif

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Here's an idea: Before you resort to drastic actions (like selling it), maybe take a break from it for a while? Put the guitar in its case and put it away for 6 months or something like that. See if you miss it. See how it feels/sounds when you take it out again after a long absence. If you still feel the same way after an extended absence THEN maybe think about letting it go.

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
Again, it’s not that I’ve written it off. I’m going give it some TLC with a pro setup, new pickups, etc.
I really hope this succeeds. It’s always been a favorite. We’ll see.
However, I’ve learned over the years that guitars come and go. If Gilmour could part with his black Strat then I can part with any of my instruments. I’m not holding onto a guitar for sentimental reasons if it’s lost favor.
As noted above perhaps my hearing has changed and I can’t hear certain frequencies.
I still love my Strat and Les Paul’s tone.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
You may be going through a guitar-mid-life crisis. Don't fight it. Put it in its case. Go on with your life. Buy the convertible you always wanted. Wear ostentatious jewelry. Maybe get an earring. In a few months, years, whatever . . . . open the case. You will think, "Why did I ever leave her?"

SomeAverageGuy

TDPRI Member
What I find in such situations is that you need somebody else to play it (whom you feel is a good player) so you can sit back and hear it from another stand point ?

This phenom is called near field / far field listening.

Now you might feel, how can this be true, the sound coming through the amp is THE SOUND.

Nope, it's still helpful to have a different perspective and for somebody else to dial in what they think/feel etc.

Hey and if in the end it doesn't work out you may have a buyer for your Tele.

That way when you change your mind and you see the new owner playing your old friend you'll say to yourself, "Geez that guitar sound great I wish I never sold it".
All of this right here. When I first had my AM PRO II Strat outfitted with Fralin Vintage Hot pickups, I was like "it sounds better but not THAT much better". Luckily, a good friend came over for a few days and he's the best guitar player I know. He plugged my Strat in to my rig and it sounded AMAZING. Now, a part of this is obviously that he's a much better guitarist than I am, but also from a bit further away the sound is different. It's also perceived differently when you aren't focused on making the music and thinking about playing the right notes, imho.

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
My #1 favorite guitar is my CS NOS 63 Tele that I spec'd myself. It still is the first guitar that I pick up. Lately, sound wise, I'm just not feeling it. I've adjusted the heights of both the neck and bridge pickups but it still doesn't sound right. Have my ears changed their perspective of how I am hearing the tones. I prefer the sound of either of my Strats or my Les Paul right now. It's been this way for a good while now and I although I still reach for it first, I quickly switch to something else.

I don't want to give up on it so I'm going to try some new pickups and have it set up by a professional. Will see how it goes.

If all else fails, I will have a tear in my eye and lump in my throat and let her go. I hope that it can be revived but, if not, I'll be Tele-less for the first time in 20 + years.
It's your ears. You're just wanting to hear different sounds. It's normal. It happens to everyone. That doesn't mean you have to get rid of your Tele, though. Just take your time, play what sounds good to you, and chances are good that Tele sounds will come back around.

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
It's your ears. You're just wanting to hear different sounds. It's normal. It happens to everyone. That doesn't mean you have to get rid of your Tele, though. Just take your time, play what sounds good to you, and chances are good that Tele sounds will come back around.

I adjusted the pickup height and altered my amp's settings. It's fine. I think I've just started preferring my Strat's and Les Paul's tones more. I guess my hearing has changed as well. I've held off on any decisions to move on from it. I still love the way it feels when I play it and I love the Tele's simple style. I have no idea why but Tele's are just the coolest looking guitars ever.

Last edited:

strattandtele

TDPRI Member
This won’t be at all surprising, but I have been more and more appreciative of my Telecasters, even joined this forum to talk about them. Yesterday I picked up my beloved Les Paul Standard, and was dismayed at the midrange honk that I couldn’t dial out. When I bought it, it took over my life for a good three or four years, and I hardly touched anything else. I’ll come back to it at some point. Around and around we go.

sloppychops

Friend of Leo's
Maybe try something really different with the Tele. Like a Ricky Wilson setup -- Just the low E, A and B and high E strings tuned (low too high) C F x x F F.

I'm going to try this before I change strings on one of mine.

314538109_5592701397462497_9100042782514498015_n.jpg

Patshep

Tele-Meister
Put it down for a couple weeks. Play something else and then try it again. Usually I’m fickle and find I love my tele again shortly after cheating with my other guitars

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Afflicted
Seriously though, change strings. Try some open tuning, and then maybe a little slide. Then go back where you were.

Or don't give a crap and go to another guitar for awhile. They're just tools.

Bob M

Friend of Leo's
I don’t know. I have a pretty good collection of electric guitars. I have a 30 year old Tele partscaster that I think sounds as strong as ever. But that doesn’t mean that I don’t pick up my 335 or 6120 occasionally. I play acoustic sometimes too! Don’t worry. Your Tele will come back to you.