1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

When You Return To The Tele From Other Guitars,

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RoscoeElegante, Mar 11, 2016.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

what do you first/most notice?

My FWIW: I notice the spaciousness--the room for the pick and playing hands both. Which is partly facilitated by the simplicity of the design overall. A plank with acreage.

Also: the inviting ease of the beefy, unbound neck (I have a '52 Hot Rod RI), and the gorgeous bite of the bridge pickup. Even the sweet notes have some grit at their edges.

All of which makes me attack it. It's not until hours into a playing session that I start turning toward the Tele's sweeter potential.

2. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

+1 on space I don't get a lot of that on my other guitars as shown in my signature and my tele (technically now an esquire) has as much as possible. Just a field of black from the bridge up to the neck heel. :D

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Scraping my wrist on the ashtray bridge plate.

4. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Tele wants to play dirty. :D

5. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

First thing I notice is the twang and just classic tones like no other guitar I got can produce. I think second is how it feels at home in my hands, just seems to fit and wears so comfortably. Third is tuning stability, I think my Hwy 1 holds it's tuning better than any guitar I have. I rotate use of my guitars and the tele is a welcome visit. Platefire

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I notice my Tele seems to want me to dig in a little more. And, it sounds pretty sweet. :D

Textele likes this.
  7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Better string separation but more difficult for lead breaks. Maybe it's me.

8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Was swapping Les Paul and Tele throughout a new band project this week.

Tele got real grit and edge and encourages digging in hard with chord and double stop centred breaks with a breaking up amp. The piercing very top end can be too much of a contrast so I find I centre on the bottom and middle of the neck. The whole 50's Baja feels taught, solid and in tune.

If the Les Paul is summoning deep thunder and the sustaining smooth voices of angels, the tele brings the sound of a pack of fighting dogs and a demolition derby.

It's the definitive 'electric guitar' for any young or old rebellious type.

9. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I'm always faithful to my Tele and don't run around with other guitars. But from what I've seen from other people's comments on here, it seems at least their Teles always take them back. I guess the Tele is a keeper! :)

deech54 and MilwMark like this.
  10. teleblueman

teleblueman Tele-Meister

+1 on room for the pick & playing hands. Also, when I go from my Les Paul to my Tele I immediately wand to hybrid pick just about everything. A Tele just seems conducive to that.

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm with Lobo. Every time I pick up another electric I remember why I gravitated to the Tele. So simple. So functional. Such varied sounds. All great.

12. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

There are other guitars??!!

deech54 likes this.
  13. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I think a lot of us Tele guys mastered palm muting inadvertently, by keeping a hand on the bridge to kill the hum. :D

Blue Bill likes this.
  14. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

For me, a Tele is the most versatile of any guitar. I will always do my own guitar builds because my Teles will be distinctly different than all the rest by utilizing a combination of pickup types. For example:
    [​IMG]

Textele and songtalk like this.
  15. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

What she said...∆∆∆

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Comfort and simplicity makes it feel right at home again ... every time. :)

17. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

That's an intriguing pickup combination, for sure! Post a soundclip?? Also, how did you create that finish/appearance?

18. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Me too. It feels very comfortable and natural from my forearm to the pick. It also feels liberating, whereas I'm usually banging against a Gibson pickguard or a Strat knob and conscious of trying to avoid it. With a Tele, I'm just thinking about music, not mechanics.

songtalk likes this.
  19. Bourboncaster

Bourboncaster TDPRI Member

I recently threw my tele back into my playing rotation after spending years between a deusenberg double cat and a guild starfire IV. I have to say the tele beats them both in versatility which is not what I had expected at all. On any guitar, I'm constantly riding the tone knob to get the right feel for each part I'm playing and the tele really gets me where I need to go for anything. The Duce and the guild sound great but when I really need to cut in the mix, they leave me reaching for the sonic punch that a tele really gives. And where the other two shine, in the sweet mellow tones, my tele's neck pup with the tone rolled back a bit still wins competition. As far as feel, the tele doesn't play quite as smooth as the others, but that also adds to the ability to really dig in and get great tones, where as the others start to sound a bit to slappy when I get into it. I really feel like the tele lets my hands do the tone shaping. It's a similar feeling to driving a vintage American muscle car verses driving an suv, both can get you where you need to go, but the former lets you really experience and enjoy the drive just as much as the destination.

fuffydingo likes this.
  20. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I never worry about returning, because I never leave.....

No other guitar feels right. Mine will sting or bite, as required and cut through in any room, in any mix......

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.