When you must really, really love your cat...

buzzword

TDPRI Member
Name: Angus
Crimes: Silently judging my playing, insisting on fitting himself into every available box including the one my Ernie Ball volume pedal came in.
7B09208A-D160-4785-8488-DBDC5B7A8567.jpeg
4FB1FCD7-686A-4A85-8385-0BF5F6891F66.jpeg

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Holic
Name: Angus
Crimes: Silently judging my playing, insisting on fitting himself into every available box including the one my Ernie Ball volume pedal came in.
View attachment 912556 View attachment 912557

They're so damn cool and unique in personality but my lungs lock up around cat hair and I'm a dog person first.

Dogs are like that one buddy that always wants to hang with you.

Cats are like that girl you date on and off, and the relationship is always confusing.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I want a cat, but my wife claims to be allergic.

:(

I hate to see folks get a cat who might have to get rid of a cat if there's an issue.

That said, the Bengal breed of cat (which is typically four to six generations from an Asian Leopard Cat father) is known to be less allergic due to it's different constitution (in comparison, the typical domestic cat is prob 10,000 years and untold generations from it's wild ancestors). The result is that it has a much different "pelt" compared to a typical cat's "fur". Also, they love water so you've likely to be able to bath them without taking your life in your hands, which can greatly help with allergies.

But, allergies are a very personal thing and "who knows".

If you're serious about wanting a cat, I would suggest visiting some small breeders with Bengals (only). If your wife can stand being in a small breeders house with a half dozen of them as residents for a couple hours, she's probably OK with them.

I'll also add a caution though: If you've never had cats, starting with a Bengal is not advisable. They are super friendly, but at the same time have a number of behaviors what highlight their closeness to wild ancestors. They are very energetic, active, fearless, loud, demanding, social. They are not typically lap cats. Most breeders advise getting two so that they can entertain each other. They'll also cost you a couple MIM Tele's up front for a pair (plus typical vet and care costs later). But they are a barrel of fun.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
You know, we may be looking at this wrong…the cat may have been making a statement about the amp itself; I had a Silverface/Master Volume Twin Reverb that I detested, too..

Just sayin’…

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
When my amp had Tolex on it, there was some cat damage. A bit to the speaker cloth, as well. But it was never as much damage as what I did through handling over the years. As I grew older, I grew more careful. Now the amp has no Tolex, and in 15 years or so, the replacement speaker cloth has suffered no damage. Don’t even ask how many cats have co-existed with this amp.
17AF577D-7A96-4B39-B41D-D59416470B90.jpeg

MyLittleEye

Tele-Meister
Dogs are like that one buddy that always wants to hang with you.

Cats are like that girl you date on and off, and the relationship is always confusing.

The Cats vs dogs preference often reflects people's relationship styles don't you think?

Me, I prefer independently minded cats and folks over utterly devoted clingy beings!

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I play with my little buddy every day because he still has his animal instincts. I view that as a basic responsibility of owning a pet.
Absolutely right! Playing is not an option, it is imperative.

I have three cardboard boxes upstairs. They are boxes within boxes. Georgie goes bonkers over cardboard boxes. I've never tossed any toys into them. Until today. Box 1 is the largest (more thana square foot). It sits next to Box 2, which used to sit inside Box 1. Box 2 held Box 3, which is fairly small (7" x 7"). It sits on the same line as the others. It is horizontally spaced on the same line as Boxes 1 and 2. This box sits apart from the other two, about 6 feet away. I sit about 8 feet in front of Boxes 1 and 2.

Georgie loves to hop inside any box he sees. I played for a few minutes of tossing toy mice into Boxes 1 and 2. After that I made it more difficult to jump into the correct box. I went full psych on him, and missed a box toss or two. Georgie goes on full alert. He looks inside Boxes 1 and 2, and then walks over to Box 3 and peers inside. This is such a brilliant thing for him to do. Even though I haven't tossed anything in it, he recognized that all three boxes are related, including the smaller one 6 feet away.

I thought this was a really neat thing that he did. Love that cat!

Last edited: