When you have an open space on your pedalboard are you tempted to fill it even if you don't need to?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Oct 31, 2018.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I know this was the case with me when rack effects were the thing - an open rack space meant something had to go there. And now I find myself with an open space on my pedalboard because I purchased a combination overdrive and boost, thereby replacing two pedals, leaving room for a new pedal.

First world problem.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  2. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

Nah, I usually have the opposite problem. I get a new pedal then I can't decide which currently used pedal to remove to make room for it. What is this "open space on my pedalboard" you speak of? :)

3. Theslack5

Theslack5 Tele-Meister

I had an open space on mine which first I tried to fill with another delay ( boss dd3) didn’t use it. Then I filled the gap with an mxr micro flanger ( didn’t use it). A couple of weeks ago I bought an oceans 11 by ehx to go there, 3rd time lucky.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  4. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

It's a problem that i'm having right now, if you see my new thread there is a picture of my pedalboard, there is an empty space that i filled with a cigarette case. :lol::lol::lol: in the meantime i'll think about something that i need....
    Nothing really.;);)

5. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

To answer original question..

Yes, sometimes.

Then a while later I have exactly the opposite reaction and minimize..

6. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

No. I decided what pedals I wanted and, as a bedroom player / learner) I'm buying no more than that unless I discover that I want / need something else or swap one of my pedals for another.

The mistake I made was to buy a very compact board. What I might do is buy a new / slightly larger board so the connectors / wiring is less cramped.

7. blakestree

blakestree Tele-Meister

I suffer from this ailment, as well. I currently have an open space on my Pedaltrain Jr. that is taunting me. Wanna know what's worse, though? I recently started collecting Boss pedals and putting them in roto-molded BCB-30 cases. Try having an open space in one of those!

Also, I have a tendency to feel like I should be using all the taps on my power supplies, too.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  8. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

How many empty spaces do I have?
    None.
    How many pedals do I need on my board?
    Just one more. :lol:

SPUDCASTER and Dennyf like this.
  9. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

Nah, I just spread the other ones out so it doesn't look like an empty space...

10. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

Im happily tapped out for space. I've got 9 pedals squeezed onto my PT Jr, and had to sacrifice my fuzz slot to accommodate my Alter Ego v2, so that I can have an echoplex, dm2 and echorec algos, in addition to my Replica. But if I were to move up to a bigger board, I'd be inclined to mount pedals I'd seldom use, or worse, start buying pedals again. So....must....be....strong.

11. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I've got my core pedals that I need to play our songs, but I leave space for one pedal that I am experimenting with or to annoy the band (like a Gonkulator).

3-Chord-Genius, Iago and DeVilleDude like this.
  12. 3-Chord-Genius

Yeah, that Boss pedal board idea was a great idea - for Boss!

blakestree likes this.
  13. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

The idea that selling a pedal would somehow create a space on my board hasn't been true since I was in high school, probably around 1980.

If I have a thousand bucks disposable income, I'm not going to carry it all around with me.

Right now I have two wallets... One for everyday and a slimmer one for formal occasions. I used to own a chain wallet for working outside.

I also have a few different pedal boards. Which one I use depends on the situation.

I've been collecting pedals since the 70s. At this stage, whether I buy or sell a pedal has no bearing on the number of open spaces on my board.

I have far more pedals than I could ever fit on a board all at the same time...

That said, if I only need 3 pedals, I take my tiny board. If I need 6, I'll take a Boss BCB 60.

If I need more than that, I have a pedal train that holds around 10.

If I need even more, I can combine them.

But if I'm using a Boss 6 space pedal case, I have a tendency to put pedals in all 6 slots, whether I need them or not.

Am I just being a grumpy curmudgeon who totally misunderstood the question?!

Wouldn't be the first time... Lol

14. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

I don't use a board so I can always add more.

15. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Open space on my pedalboard? What’s that?

16. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

No, I save two or three spaces. It makes me feel like I've got room if there's an emergency, and in my head, I know that people can hear the improvement in sound quality from the signal not going through a couple of extra pedals.

(of course, nobody cares that I'm even using pedals - they're only half listening to what's being played, anyway).

17. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Absolutely. There's always another pedal that needs a home.

18. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

yes, immediately...excuses to search...but i haven't used a pedal live or in studio for years..so why is my pedal collection growing and why do i for no reason build a board out of wood from scratch every winter...note to self...self..the Boss MS switcher you got a few months ago can basically eliminate all of them...self to self..shut up

19. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

My empty space is the floor in front of me. Since I play at home, 6 or 7 OD pedals - why not? Add one more when UPS comes 'round the corner...

20. 3-Chord-Genius

It's awesome what we guitarists consider an "emergency"!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.