When you feel good about your partcaster..

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Alter, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

If you really want to ruin his day roll up next week with a vintage Greco 335 style guitar with a resto Gibson headstock veneer on it and brag about how cheap it was.:twisted:

2. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Not a single audience member will ever care about this in the slightest - remember that! Nobody has ever said, "the reason I loved that band was because one of the guitarists had a really great old guitar"

aging_rocker, Jim_in_PA and ronzhd like this.
  3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Honestly, I totally get it and yes I’d trade any of my parts builds for that vintage 335 which is not only almost certainly a wonderful guitar but one I couldn't build.
    I love my many Teles but I love 335s too.

4. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

It's just a guitar, to most people watching, and the typical patron is just glad your making music they can dance or sing along with.

5. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

6. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't shed any tears, myself. I'd love to have that 335 but I'd have no qualms about taking my beloved partscaster SLO (Strat-like object) anywhere. It's taken over the #1 spot as I've slowly gotten more comfortable tweaking and adjusting the components and dialing in the setup. No shame in playing something you put together the way you want it so you can play your best.

Owenmoney likes this.
  7. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

TeleTown and Deeve like this.
  8. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

Not at the dive bars I play. Hell if anything were to happen to my beat up partscaster I'd be like.. Eh. Been meaning to build another anyway. A 64 335 at a gig? Na that's just not going to happen.

Ricky D. and Alter like this.
  9. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

A decal don't matter to him..... kenny_cover.jpg

P Thought and Owenmoney like this.
  10. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

When I first started playing, I used to play this Gretsch out 10 times a month... Then one day I said "what the heck are you doing?"

So I went out and bought a cheap Strat and modded the heck out of it.

Tons of people in clubs commented on how cool the Strat was, but I never heard a peep about the Gretsch.

Also I stopped worrying about the clutz drummer knocking over my guitar stand.

P.S. I met Chet twice, once in '91 at Artpark in Lewiston, NY - he signed the pickguard; and again in '94 back stage at the Erie County Fair... I was able to bring the whole guitar with me and had him sign it next to the Bigsby. Chet said "wow, that's beautiful... are you sure you want me to sign it?"[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Alter and MrGibbly like this.
  11. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

My 1st really good guitar was a '69 335.
    Loved that guitar played for years. Then I picked up a Tele and realized that the longer scale length and indestructibility were what I needed;) Been building my own guitars ever since:cool:

12. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

If you can play, nobody cares what you are playing. If you can't play, nobody cares what you are playing. Lol

Apologies to Ron Kirn.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  13. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Only other guitar players care.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

There's no competition in this band we're playing in, it's more like friends playing some gigs together for good times. I enjoy playing all types of guitars, have a 70s 335 myself.

But it was a blast to see such a great instrument, played it a bit and it felt great.. Interestingly the owner has dozens of great guitars of all sorts, says his favorite for blues is the Gibson Blueshawk, he usually brings that to gigs and I bring my 355.

P Thought likes this.
  15. Clive Hugh

Clive Hugh Tele-Afflicted

My parts caster tele is exactly that, Warmoth parts, Stewmac parts, body definitely wood but no idea, it had a reddish tinge before being painted, Seymour D hb’s, I have a couple of Fender Strats and every now and then think I should take them to a practice so fire up an amp and plug in, nah, go back to my parts caster every time

16. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

I reckon that all Fender-style guitars are essentially partscasters.

Some are assembled by the 'owner' using bits from a variety of suppliers, and some are assembled in a factory, usually using bits from a variety of suppliers.

It's all about the quality of the bits and the skill of the assembler.

Also, decals are optional for owner/assemblers, but generally compulsory for factory assemblers.

oceanblue likes this.
  17. Esckrimador

Esckrimador TDPRI Member

I had an 80's Gibson ES 347 for many years. The thing was absolutely gorgeous, and sounded unreal. But alas, my paranoia over dropping it, stopped me from ever gigging the thing. Since Strats/Teles are basically indestructible, I always felt much more at ease using those.

In any event, both of those guitars in the first pic are gorgeous. OP, great job on your partscaster. I bet she sounds killer.

OP are you a southpaw, or do you play that tele upside down, ala Hendrix?

18. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

So true.... ya cannot hear how a guitar looks, and your talent should occlude the optics anyway..

If the do, they are indeed technical players only, certainly not musicians.. they live in trepidation the band leader will look at them and utter those most feared words, "Take it." :p

r

Owenmoney likes this.
  19. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

In reality most guitars turn into partscasters. Most famous musicians want to mod them in some way, Keef has humbucker and brass bridge and steel guitar pickup in Micawber, Gilmours black Strat has a bunch of mods, claptons blackie and brownie pieced together strats, slash’s signature bucker, and the list goes on, everybody that changes pickups etc. doesn’t make the guitar bad usually it makes them better for the owner, but they’re no longer original.
    Right now all of mine are original except for switch tips on my teles, I put Strat tips on. I do put Duncan strap locks on all of them. My PRS SE 30th anniversary is the only one I changed pickups pots and wiring on. So technically they’re all partscasters too.
    If they feel good to you, sound good and you like or love em, that’s all that matters. If you’re looking for other people’s approval of your guitars or anything you need to work on your self esteem . That’s what needs modification.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Played my partscaster tonight for the first time in yonks.. open G goodness, tone for days, neck to die for, thanks to my dear friend Anthony who bequeathed it to me..

Owenmoney likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.