When you are set in your ways....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Jun 30, 2020.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

it happens.

sean79, trev333, JL_LI and 2 others like this.
  2. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Exhibit A. Why gas stations had boys pumping gas for women once they became drivers. :lol::lol:

RodeoTex and nojazzhere like this.
  3. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've pulled in on the wrong side before. My VWs have the filler on the passenger side (as do most German cars), and the Toyota / Mazda products we have on the driver's side (as do most American / Japanese cars).

This poor woman was so far down that rabbit hole though. Look at the gas gauge - it tells you which side the filler is on - but yeah, kinda funny.

FenderGyrl likes this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My first car was a 56 Chevy.
    Yes, I’m old.
    I got it when I was 16, in 1973 for $200 grocery-sackin’ dollars, at $1.65 an hour!
    It had a 3 on a tree stick shift manual transmission.
    I’d practice driving it after school, to learn to shift smoothly.
    I found myself a fair distance from home, and low on gas.
    I went to a gas station, and tried to put a couple of bucks worth of gas in.
    I couldn’t find the gas filler neck.
    The kid (my age) working there couldn’t find it either.
    I went to a couple more places, running on fumes now.
    I finally pulled into a gas station and asked an older gentleman where the gas in my car went.
    He knew.
    It’s behind the rear passenger side taillight.
    I would have never found it.

StrangerNY, Driver3, Andy B and 3 others like this.
  5. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I actually laughed out loud. She’s so cute though. Just kept at it till she got it right. Never lost her cool.

6. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

That's pretty mind numbing. When I see things like this I don't really find it funny because all I can think of is that this person has a drivers license and while using that very same level of awareness and problem solving displayed at the gas pump is also driving down busy streets with pedestrians etc. That freaks me out. I mean even if this is just a 'bad day' for her it still spells disaster. You can't have a bad day that's that bad and drive safely. She's basically impaired to my mind.

Ash Telecaster likes this.
  7. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I was at least 50 before anyone let me in on that little secret.

stantheman likes this.
  8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

9. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

She needs to buy one of the old 70s guzzlers where the fuel cap was hidden behind the license plate.

10. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

It's an anxiety thing...

When you get so nervous you are unable to think...

My first car was a hand-me-down. I knew where the gas tank was because my dad had driven it for years.

I bought my next car from a dealer. It had a full tank of gas when I took it off the lot. I drove it nearly empty and then looked for a gas station. I was in an unfamiliar town. I pulled up to the pump and couldn't open the tank! It was a very busy station, and I suppose I have mild anxiety attacks. Not enough anyone ever notices, but I can freeze up sometimes. Anyway, there was no handle on the gas tank to open it. There was no lever inside the door to open the tank. Nothing... just a square piece of fiberglass taunting me to figure out how to open it... I struggled for a few minutes before I couldn't deal with the pressure (I'm not exaggerating). I finally drove away and parked elsewhere, calmed down, and fiddled with the car until I realized there was a very intuitive (yet hidden) way to open the tank... you had to push (not pull) on a particular corner of the square door around the gas tank...!

A few months later, I saw an older lady struggling and panicking in a similar way with a rental vehicle. Instead of filming it like the jerks in the video... I walked over, smiled, and helped her pump the gas.

brookdalebill likes this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Yes... this is amusing.....but I'm calling fake and staged.
    Why were they videoing in the first place? Just random filming, hoping something would happen?

Ricky D. likes this.
  12. nojazzhere

In the fifties, my best friend's mom had an old (even then) Cadillac. I believe the filler cap was behind the driver's side tail light. Maybe someone else remembers for sure.

13. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

Not so fast, troops:

Every manufacturer The Mail on Sunday contacted said the pump handle on the fuel gauge graphic bears no relation to where the petrol cap is located.
    But the good news is that many modern cars do have a little-known indicator on the dashboard - in the form of a small arrowhead on the petrol pump graphic, pointing to which side the cap is on.
    Ford, Volkswagen, Toyota and Nissan all said their modern vehicles had such an indicator.
    Vauxhall said all models built in the past two years have an arrow but added that the petrol cap always sits on the driver’s side in their vehicles anyway.
    Audis and BMWs do not have an indicator as standard, but again say it is always on the driver’s side - except in BMW Minis.
    Citroen and Peugeot do not have a graphic, and the cap can be found on either side of their cars. The manufacturers’ responses disprove another common, but mistaken, belief: that the cap is on whatever would be the passengers’ side in a car’s main market, so drivers could safely fill up from a jerry-can at the side of the road, away from passing traffic.

They're right, I believed it until one car I'd driven showed the opposite side to what it actually was.

Piggy Stu and nojazzhere like this.
  14. nojazzhere

Are you sure it wasn't behind the driver's taillight, Bill? That's all I can find for Chevy.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ith-hidden-gas-filler-necks-what-mfgs.686876/

brookdalebill likes this.
  15. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I actually had a relationship go down in flames over something just like this!

It is a fact that women, in spite of their many wonderful attributes, struggle with spatial concepts like left and right.

Before any women here get up in arms about this statement, look it up. It's not a defect. It's a genetic thing. Women also see slight variances in color much better than men do. We're different, and I'm quite happy about that. We enhance each other because of these differences.

16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Indeed!
    I bought another 56, in 86.
    Memory may not be serving.
    If I win the lottery, I’ll get another one.
    Both were great, dependable, fun to drive cars!
    They both had small, in line 6 cylinder engines, so they were cheap on gas, too.
    Great memories!

StrangerNY and nojazzhere like this.
  17. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I remember as a pump jockey having a hard time trying to figure out where to put gas into a 52 Caddy.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Lead a group of seven to Chicago last July; I was driving a school-district van. Leaving Chicago, I forgot to get gas until the yellow light came on. Had to pull over in the West Garfield Park area (look it up ...) ... the sight of two tatted-up azzholes spending a good 10 minutes climbing all over and under that van (with our district logo brightly-wrapped over the entire body) and swearing like sailors, while the others cowered inside, had to have been a LOT of fun to watch for the assembled crew and armed security guard at the BP ... finally found the MF behind the open, driver's-side door ...

Yeah, I'm an idiot ...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    getbent likes this.
  19. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I had this discussion so many times. People think there is always an indicator on the fuel gauge - not the 4 Volvos I owned

20. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

All of my vehicles for the last 15+ years have an indicator with an arrow pointing to the side of the vehicle the filler is located.
    I’ve seen people spend minutes trying to get the filler and pump on the same side

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.