When where you happiest?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BigDaddyLH, Aug 19, 2016.

Here it is, the poll! When where you happiest?

Poll closed Aug 26, 2016.
  1. as a child

6.6%
  2. teens

14.3%
  3. 20s

22.0%
  4. 30s

11.0%
  5. 40s

11.0%
  6. 50s

2.2%
  7. 60s

4.4%
  8. all the time

16.5%
  9. sporatically

12.1%
  10. never

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Apparently, you've been snorting BZ.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

If I could have a 2012 Groundhog Year, I'd be all over it.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Pleasure, contentment, happiness, all related and somewhat overlapping in a Ven diagram manner, but not really necessarily the same things, right?

I think at some point we learn or are taught to beware all of these things, as imposters, likely to steer you astray

Or maybe that's just a Scandihoovian thing...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  4. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks LH for that impromptu poll..........

But why can't we have more than one vote?

What if........some ordinary guy had it good in his 20's and his 40's?

What about that?

I was forced to chose all of the damn time!

5. Mr. Lumbergh

I'm personally surprised by all the votes for
    "teens". Having to live at home through most of it, no money, no independence, no freedom...
    No thanks.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, I hear ya! Hard to think of a time when I was less comfortable in my own skin than my teens...

Toto'sDad, songtalk and Mr. Lumbergh like this.
  7. Mr. Lumbergh

Yeah, I didn't come into my own and really start living until my mid-20's.

songtalk likes this.
  8. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

Lived in an old, rundown Victorian home right on the beach at the North Jersey Shore.
    12 Hippies with almost NO money whatsoever.
    Good times......................................

Steve

william tele likes this.
  9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes! The reason this comes up in a topic like "when were you the happiest" is because, for me, it marked a change in the way I heard music. Everything was heard in vivid detail...especially bass guitar. I'd never really focused on each part of a song till that day and spinning records through headphones. From that point on I just listened to music differently.

Did not mean to divert this thread toward what we know we aren't supposed to discuss. It's just hard not to include an event like that when discussing definitive "happiness".

10. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

It's complicated. My main purpose in life is to succeed at what I do. When I am on track to succeed, am in the middle of doing all the crazy work that is needed to succeed, and feeling that sense of relief and confidence at having actually succeeded, then I am stable and secure, and am in a good position to enjoy all kinds of things and be happy with my peeps.

Even now, having reached some milestones along the path that I set out for myself at 15, I'm generally pretty happy, as a lifetime of hard effort, no money, and distant dreams all finally paid off to the extent that I can sort of proudly look back at my life and think that I "won." This is such a profound feeling, that it trumps the constant pain that I have. I'm not able to work as much, and am on half-time medical leave from my dream job as a university composition professor, and need to lay down in bed at times throughout the day when the pain has become too overwhelming to ignore or refute, but I still find much to enjoy.

11. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

This is sorta how I feel. Had plenty of ups and downs but I'd say it was all a pleasant daydream pretty much so far, especially when you compare it to the hell many suffer daily.

william tele likes this.
  12. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm pretty happy most of the time. I'm a survivor (so far). But my 30's were pretty special. I lived in some great places, traveled as a touring sound guy, fell in love (and got my heart broke), fell in love again, had some other cool jobs, I was healthy and made decent money. I just wish I'd have realized how lucky I was and that there were greater opportunities if I had just taken them. If I could go back with the confidence I have now and some of the knowledge of what was to be, I would be unstoppable.

Jakedog and Mr. Lumbergh like this.
  13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

'Course, if you'd done some things differently, you mighta got hit by a car instead... ;)

14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

You just never know.

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I voted, "All of the time", but of course it is much more complicated than that with ups and downs and trials and tribulations. I've been lucky and I don't take that for granted. Yes, break ups, divorce, loss of loved ones, health issues, but I'm naturally a happy person and rarely stay down for long. I have a fantastic social support group that try to keep me up when I'm down and would not be able to vote as I did without them.

studio and songtalk like this.
  16. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In my 40s. I had the best job, height of my career both financially and challenge. Really cool. My son and I were doing all kinds of outdoor stuff together, constantly. I was an adult leader in his Boy Scout troop, too, and those people were great to hang out with. And I wasn't sick yet.

jman72 and Mr. Lumbergh like this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Though I didn't check the teens box, it was one of my favorite times in life. What I'm going to say is probably incomprehensible unless you experienced the same thing, but my teen years seemed as if I was surrounded by peers who were more adult than the people I encountered when I actually came of age. Perhaps because we had no real obligations for the short period of time, and could concentrate on just BEING, who knows, but everyone I knew seemed as adult as they ever would later in life. It was a cool time to be alive, the bond of youth actually meant something at least to me.

P Thought and william tele like this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

One last stab at it. The teen years, every scene you played in life was like the last scene in a movie. Things had IMPACT. Life was intense, your were alive!

19. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Like Jupiter, now.

I have a great wife, great children, great job, live in a great neighborhood, enough money to not worry about it, and stuff to do.

The next best would be from mid-20's or so on, because then I was moving towards my goals.

My childhood was not happy. My teen years were not happy. My early 20's were quite unstable. Much of my 30's was pretty miserable.

I do not want to live any of it over again.

20. MuddyDitch

MuddyDitch Tele-Holic

About two hours ago. I was at a Carolyn Wonderland concert and that lady sings and plays to rock the house down.

teletimetx and P Thought like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.