When well known players use Strange, unlikely and sometimes HATED gear.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Guitarists always end up sounding like themselves and no matter what gear they're using you can always tell right away who it is from the resulting sound.
    [​IMG]
    A Gibson Les Paul through a Marshall, is ALWAYS going to be a recipe for a good sound and many producer shall give you a friendly nod when you turn up at a session using those.

But as personal as the sound of the individual player is, his choice of gear is just as Personal and sometimes they end up using stuff which make people go "Huh?" and sometimes it will make people go "NO WAY!"

So let's talk about instances where well known players use that kind of gear.
    [​IMG]
    Ritchie Blackmore during Deep Purple's performance at the Cal jam. To his right stands the most unlikely of stage gear a guitarist would use. An Aiwa Tape recorder, which he used a multi effects unit, to provide him with overdrive and delay. This very unlikely piece of gear was an essential part of his sound.
    [​IMG]
    And apparently, it still is.

[​IMG]
    This is the HOP Box "Hand Operated Processor" which was meant to put the early MIDI and sampling technology of the Synclavier into arms' reach of stage musicians. As you might have guessed, it was mostly aimed at Studio guys and Keyboard players, why would a guitarist go anywhere NEAR something like that?
    [​IMG]
    Well Pat Metheny started using it, discovering along the way that apparently Donkeys are nature's best Blues singers.

Now that Fender made a mistake or two during their tenure as a guitar manufacturer is well documented but their first forray into Solid State amps was perhaps their biggest mistake.
    [​IMG]
    In a very ironic way their claim that the Super Showman is "Ear splitting" is right on the money. But not just by its sheer volume, because those early fender Solid State amps sounded shrill and metallic. Fender learned the hard way that sheer volume came second place to a GOOD SOUND.

But apparently there was one player who found his sound in that very reviled amp.

Of course Jan Akkerman is the kind of player who can make a a Toys R Us sold guitar sound good.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Torren61, brookdalebill and tidalcast like this.
  2. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway TDPRI Member

Jack Pearson
    =

Squire Strat

lupowitz and brookdalebill like this.
  3. Blazer

What's so unusual about that?

Jeff Healey played Squier Strats, as did Dave Murray of Iron maiden.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heck people like J. Mascis play Squiers.
    [​IMG]

radiocaster and Deathray like this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Jan Akkerman is suck a cool player!
    He always got the best, clearest Les Paul tone of any rock player, IMO.
    I’ve never seen a solid state Showman behemoth like in the video, in real life.
    Occasionally, you see the lower end 60’s-70’s SS amps
    at guitar shows.

aging_rocker and scrimmer like this.
  5. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Page’s theremin

lugg and LowCaster like this.
  6. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

And on the second pic Blackmore is playing a 70's strat... :eek:

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  7. Blazer

What I DO notice about that full stack is that the cabs are powered too.
    [​IMG]
    Eyup, the head was meant as a pre amp and cabs as power amps, driving SIXTEEN 10 inchers (eight in each cab), that indeed had to account for the shrill sound those were known for.

[​IMG]
    I guess that's another reason why those amps failed, you could ONLY use them with the powered speakers, hooking them up to say, a Marshall cab wouldn't have worked.

bftfender and brookdalebill like this.
  8. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

I don’t know if they’re hated as now a whole generation has adopted them as usable instruments but pretty much any guitar Dan Auerbach from the black keys plays was once thought only to be worthy of shredding 12 year old finger tips and nothing more

I see him play a lot of harmony and silver tone pretty much catalogue guitars

But at the end of the day he’s just mimicking the country blues guitarist that would just play whatever they could find

9. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

He could be playing one string on a broom stick attached to a washtub and I always knew it was him. But that little Lazer he played put a lot of guitars aside that could do the same thing.

Johnny_Winter.jpg

Georox, BB and Fretting out like this.
  10. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

People like Auerbach have qualified techs getting those guitars in playable condition, something the kids didnt.

11. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

He DEFINITELY uses some funky off-the-wall gear, but I always like his tone somehow.

Here's the latest rig rundown on him for those who haven't caught it yet (kick back, it's long):

12. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

David Lindley.

13. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

I thought about mentioning him (he’s why I have owned a Danelectro for 35 years), but the word “unlikely” stopped me. One look at Mr. Dave, and no weird gear seems unlikely. :D

Mosstone and Geoff738 like this.
  14. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

I can't remember who it was, but I recall a big name guitar player in the 80's that supposedly cut an album using a small Pignose amplifier.

Maybe not as radical a departure, but Clapton and Duane Allman using small tweed Fender Champs for the Layla sessions instead of 100 watt amps and huge stacks was certainly out of the ordinary in the early 1970's way of thinking.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  15. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

Frank Zappa was known for using the Pignose. Here's a clip of a live performance with it. You can see it around 3:35 when he first starts playing.

lupowitz, Georox, Brian J. and 3 others like this.
  16. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

There it is...a Pignose all right!!!

17. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

danny gatton with his les paulveriser

danny.jpg dannys.jpg

lupowitz and Dan German like this.
  18. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I read somewhere that on “Hotel California,” Felder played through a cranked tweed Deluxe but Walsh played through an early (way before COSM modeling) Roland Cube.

And C.C. DeVille used a SS Crate G80 combo paired with a Mesa Mk II C to get that bright Poison distortion.

19. Blazer

Can't leave out the mighty Brian May who used a John Deacon converted hi-fi stereo speaker cab in the studio, the "Deacy"
    [​IMG]
    And here's how it sounds.

Marquee Moon likes this.
  20. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Skunk Baxter back in the 80s came on a variety show here in Oz, and fired up some Stratosaurus through an open Pignose on a stool. The compere and sidekicks were yokking it up about what little joke, but with a mic in front he nailed Reeling in the Years solo on it. Sounded awesome.

jhundt likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.