When well known guitarists don't use their signature axes on surprising occasions..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Seems like you don't know that much about Jimmy Page then, well then let me be the good Samaritan and give you an insight on what else he owns and played, coming from Jimmy's own website.
    [​IMG]
    Jimmy's guitars, prior to a 1977 Led Zeppelin show, we have Two Martins, three Gibson Les Pauls, all of them fifties ones and one given to him by none other than Joe Walsh, a Danelectro DC-1 tuned DAGAD for the song "Kashmir" his brown B-bender tele with the neck of his Dragon tele and his Gibson twin neck.

Here's some shots taken at Page's house in the eighties, note the Fender twelve string, that's what he played on "Stairway to heaven"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yes, you don't have to check your eyes, Page actually owns STRATOCASTERS!

[​IMG]

Here's Page's guitars during an eighties tour.
    [​IMG]
    Note anything different about that Purple Les Paul? Look closely behind the tail piece...

Here's what it does...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    John Nicholas likes this.
  2. denny

denny Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Steve Howe on a "borrowed" guitar. Fun to watch Steve make faces at Les Paul while playing his signature tunes..

3. GeminiCG

GeminiCG TDPRI Member

Wow! I'm a Led Zeppelin fan, but I didn't know this stuff about Page. I guess I'm one of those people in the crowd who only have seen him with either a Tele or Les Paul. Thanks for this new information about a guitarist I admire and look up too. And again, I'm always open to learn new things about music and guitars. Thank you again for sharing this knowledge with me.

4. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    Is this subject a big deal? So what if they don't use their signature guitars 100% of the time?
    I use a strat and either a les paul or 335 at gigs. I bring one of each because some of the songs may require different tones.
    In the studio I've used everything I own and sometimes use studio owned guitars that may be available. I've even borrowed a couple of Rickenbackers from my friend.
    I know some guys like Clapton have used the same type of guitar for years. But before settling on that they usually went through different phases.
    Have guitars become a integral part of someone's image and no longer just a tool of the trade?
    Is it because the fans expect it?
    Interesting subject.

5. Ian Hurtt

Ian Hurtt TDPRI Member

I believe Gilmour also used a Steinberger with a transtrem to record "Sorrow". Interesting thread!

6. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Bringing this one up again, I guess we all know that Tony Iommi started recording the first Black Sabbath album using a Strat, very likely the one he was seen using during his brief stint with Jethro Tull. When it developed an electrical fault and he had to use his back up guitar for the remaining sessions for that album.
    [​IMG]
    Which of course was his Gibson SG.

But if you want to hear what Iommi sounded like using the strat, look no further than THIS song.

Here's Iommi using a Steinberger M-series Mike Rutherford model.

Which again apart from being headless, is a strat style model.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020 at 6:45 PM
  7. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

a long time ago i noticed that many of the PRS endorsers never played them until I bought one then I knew why. sure looks purty but go plug it in and try watchin that neon glow fade fast. yeah i still got a problem with em after they wasted my time. pieces of junk.

santana was badass until he went PRS. his tone sucks now
    al dimeola was too just go listen to the tones before PRS and after PRS.

Dave Navarro is the only one who deserves a PRS cus he sucks anyway and even gibson cant help his sorry ass

8. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

The one thing I'll always give Eddie, (besides the fact he was/is awesome and rocked my world in 1978), he always looked so damn cool.

9. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

While the pictured guitar is indeed a very faded sunburst, Gibson did make Goldtops in 1958. The first Sunburst models shipped around May of 1958.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 11:43 PM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.