When well known guitarists don't use their signature axes on surprising occasions..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Nov 12, 2019.

1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Interesting how some guitar plays are identified with one guitar, and it's a shock to see them without it. Roy, Elvin, Alvin, Dimebag, Brian...Charlie Gracie is still around playing the same guitar from 1955, I think.

2. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

pet semetary!

3. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I know it was an L-6S, I pointed that out and I also pointed out that Angus used it too on occasions. The top cutaway was done by famed English luthier John Birch.

There's also a third version called the "Midnight special" which had a bolt on neck but otherwise were identical to the normal ones.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another famous user was Kiss' Paul Stanley, who said that they sounded bright and raspy, not to his taste but as Gibson endorser used them because he was contractually obliged to.
    [​IMG]

4. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

SRV Tele.jpg SRV Firebird.jpg SRV Les Paul.jpg SRV Red.jpg

5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

@Blazer Yes I became aware of this after writing.
    Thanks for correcting me and I did not mention the "Midnight Special" as it was not relevant to the double cut in question.

6. Blazer

I did some research about John Frusciante and his work on "Mother's milk" and in the interviews he maintains that he used a strat and a Les Paul for the sessions but the pictures taken during the sessions only show his orange Ibanez.
    [​IMG]

7. GeminiCG

GeminiCG TDPRI Member

The reason why he used a Les Paul was because his Tele got damage by a friend of his who was staying at his house and to repay Page for the damages had the guitar repaired and repainted to either black or white. Page hated it so much that he sanded it all down to wood and locked it in his closet till recently when the Fender Custom Shop made a some reissues of it. During the time when he didn't have his Tele, he used a '59 Les Paul which (by the way, the Tele was also a '59, had a late '58 rosewood fingerboard, one of the first Teles to have them) he is known by to this day.

Also some cool facts on that Tele, it was actually first owned by Eric Clapton when he was part of the Yardbirds, when he left and Jeff Beck took his place, he gave Jeff the Tele. Jeff in return when he left the band gave the Tele to Page, who used it for the Yardbirds and most of his Led Zeppelin career.

Feel free to fact check me on the last part of this. I'm always up for learning new things.

Also I am not trying attack or anything. I just love history and guitars :D

Torren61 likes this.
  8. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

#4 Redux: Page used a Telecaster, not his '59 Les Paul, for the lead guitar on "Stairway To Heaven".

9. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I guess not too rare of a sighting, but not what one usually thinks of 6E645A04-08DD-49DC-BB34-7583FFA77D35.jpeg

brookdalebill likes this.
  10. GeminiCG

GeminiCG TDPRI Member

Sorry, what do you mean? I'm new and some of the lingo here is going over my head.

11. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

It was producer Mack who said it, but it was Roger Taylor’s Tele that May used on the record.
    https://www.rogertaylor.info/equipment/special-equipment/guitars/
    IIRC he then bought a couple of his own for live shows.

12. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

David Gilmour used a Lewis guitar on the solo in "Money". According to Wikipedia: "to produce the distinctive piercing high notes that distinguish the final chorus of his solo, Gilmour played a customized Lewis guitar with twenty-four frets, allowing a full four-octave range."
    Gilmour_Bill_Lewis_2.jpg

13. Blazer

Okay, since you've asked me to.

Here's Page himself telling it how it happened.

But I'm also going to fact check you on the first part of your post.
    Nope, "Stairway" was already recorded BEFORE that happened, Page himself said that the Les Paul became his main stage guitar because his tele developed a fault in its pickups, it became unreliable for live use, so he relegated it to studio use where he used it among others on "Stairway"

So Led Zeppelin went on tour and Page asked a friend who was heavily into pottery to watch his house while he was away. He decided to to do Page a favor and refinish the guitar in these really earthy brown and red colors, but made the rookie mistake of doing so without taking it apart first. So paint got in the pots, screwing up the guitar's electrics.

So when Page got home, his buddy went "I got a surprise for you." and handed him the guitar, at first Page was going "Uh thanks I guess..." and then asked his buddy where the guitar was. At which the friend, still all smiles, went "That IS your guitar!" At which Page got a look of disgust on his face.

14. GeminiCG

GeminiCG TDPRI Member

Thanks for the fact checks, and the respectful manner of which you did it. I remember watching those videos with Page talking about his guitars. In fact, I have actually met the Master Builder who was working with Page in creating the Custom Shop reissue. Paul Waller is a neat dude. Ron Thorn and Paul Waller visited Colorado area during one of their Custom Shop tours. It was a fun night.

Ian Hurtt likes this.
  15. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

24736_845.jpg

16. Blazer

What Page doesn't tell about here is that although he sanded the body and put it away, He DID use the neck and the pickups on another rather famous guitar of his.

17. GeminiCG

GeminiCG TDPRI Member

Really? I never knew he used another guitar other than the Les Paul and Dragon Tele. Interesting. Other than the double neck SG.

18. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

I think he said he never used jazzmasters in the studio, only live. I cannot remember where I read that though.

19. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Well I didn;t know that story and I;ve been telling people I heard a Tele on "Fire" and they tell me I';m stupid for years. ( and a bad typist to boot)

20. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

That story I know. Thaty's a 3/10 Bandmaster. The guitar and amp were given , along with a particular volume pedal, by Joe Walsh. That's what made "Who's Next" so good.
    Unfortunatley...
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.