When well known guitarists don't use their signature axes on surprising occasions..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Nov 12, 2019.

1. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Wilko, more known for his Telecasters, bought a Strat with the money from 'Down By The Jetty' and has been known to record and gig it.

Mick Green couldn't have given a flying flip about guitars. Although best known for his Telecaster, he played a Gibson Melody Maker with Johnny Kidd & The Pirates as well as a Telecaster. Later, he bought the Custom, but also owned, and used, Strats and a Les Paul. There's footage of him with a Strat with Van Morrison, Bryan Ferry and during his tenure with Englebert Humperdink and Shanghai. Footage of the black Les Paul features in the Dingwalls show where it gets used for 'Shakin' All Over'
    Live, with Paul McCartney, he mostly played the Tele, but would switch to a Nashville tuned Strat where needed. For Choba CCCP, he used the Tele, but 'Run Devil Run' was mixed.

For quite a few Pirates shows, he used a Peavey 'Cropper'. When teaching, he used a Strat or whatever acoustic was kicking around.

aging_rocker likes this.
  2. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

Brian May at the 50th Anniversary Strat Pack Concert. Now, he only lasted one set with the Strat. In the next set he broke out his Red Special to play Free's "Alright Now."

Bob

Bruxist and brookdalebill like this.
  3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I always considered his sunburst Strat to be his #2/backup and his white one was his #1...is my assumption correct?

Maybe I need to go back and re-read that info regarding his use of the 70’s Telecaster...I was under the impression that it was used quite a bit early on...

I almost listed his Robin Baritone here as well, but I think that was a real rare occurrence and more widely used later on and when playing with Stevie.

4. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I need to go downtown and watch his organ trio. If I can, I'll ask him and get the lowdown.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  5. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

When J. Mascis was asked which of his famous Jazzmasters he used on Dinosaur Jr's last album, he said none of them!

He used a Gibson Les Paul Junior for rhythm & a Telecaster for lead. :eek:

6. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

Jeff had a brief flirtation with a pink & pointy Jackson back in the 80's. Think there might have been an orange one too?

CHk5czT.jpg

7. E5RSY

We all make mistakes...

8. Carcinogen

Carcinogen TDPRI Member

X100B was a shredder amp?

9. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

big_guitarist_edward_van_halen_1959_gibson_les_paul_standard_guitar_1980_live.jpg

Eddie slung this one for a bit on the Women and Children First tour. Where that front pickup wound up is anyone's guess. That's a real 1958, BTW.

10. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

He had Tina Turner carve her name in the front of it, though...and he's Jeff Beck...so I give him a pass.

11. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I saw Roy Buchanan once right after his Tele had been stolen, so he was playing a brand new at the time (late 70s) Sunburst Strat. He sounded exactly like he did with the Tele.

12. E5RSY

Didn't think they made goldtops in '58.

13. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's not a Gold Top, they are commonly known as "unburst" and Icetea Burst, where the red has faded from the Sunburst of the guitar.
    [​IMG]
    This is a 1959 Les Paul which had a Bigsby at one time, the red is still there where the thing sat.

[​IMG]
    This is Billy Gibbons' "Pearly gates" which started life as a Tobacco burst, note how much darker the color is where the pickguard and Poker chip sat.

John Nicholas likes this.
  14. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Slash originally recorded the "Appetite for destruction" album using THIS guitar.
    [​IMG]
    But the BC Rich Warlock never sounded right, so when the producer pushed him the Chris Derrig made Les Paul copy into his hands and he plugged it in he told them to delete all the tracks he recorded and let him do them over using that one.

So if the Derrig Lester hadn't entered the fray, it could have well been so that Slash would have been that guy with the Top hat and the BC Rich Warlock.
    [​IMG]

15. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

Rivers Cuomo is best known for his Blue Warmoth Strat, but he almost exclusively played Ric Ocasek‘s Les Paul Jr for the Blue sessions, and he used a borrowed 70s blackguard sunburst LP on a fair number of songs on Pinkerton

16. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Les Paul seldom used stock Les Pauls. Most of his early ones had flat tops and low impedence pickups and Les was constantly tinkering with the wiring and pickups. He did use a some of the Low Impedence models ,the Professional ,the Personal and the Recording

17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

That is a Gibson L6-S with a top cutaway. I had one but the Les Paul single cut.. Angus also played it. It usually came with an elongated black pickguard and a six way switch. Bill Lawrence and Gibson were working on that model.
    Later ones had a sting through body situation and a three way toggle switch.
    Carlos Santana and Keith Richards used them also. They had very useful wiring combinations in a 6 way switch.
    Gibson were attempting a cross between Telecaster and a Les Paul type guitar. All maple, 24 frets, Grover tuners.Lawrence was asking Gibson to spend $25 per unit but they wouldn't so they ceased making them.
    Google Gibson L6-S and you'll see in images a number of these, one in all Black, and Angus with this one. Malcom played it on the back of that truck video ( I believe). Not very valuable for a 70s Gibson- about $2,000.Apparently the pickups were the hottest at the time. I said I had one and it was okay but i sold it off for an Ibanez double cut Artist/SG type like the Yamaha at the time. The Japanese guitars then were very good and all the lawsuits.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They did, until May if memory serves.
    I’ve seen a few.
    I believe Brad Whitford owns a super clean one.
    On a different subject, Gibson made a few P90/Alnico V Les Paul Customs in early 1957.

19. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Some Peavey Vintage amps of that era had a solid state preamp and tube power amp..I owned the 4x10 model at one time.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    nocastermike likes this.
  20. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Meister

Kind of like professional golfers don't always use the brand of equipment they contracted to use.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.