When tube production ends one day...

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
If you can invent and patent that idea, you may make a fortune on it. Weber sells a solid state tube rectifier emulator that is housed inside a tube-like metal housing and plugs into a tube rectifier socket ..I use one in my JTM50 clone (my only remaining tube amp). Works great, never a problem. Can't tell the difference between it and a GZ34. I bought it when my GZ34 failed ....18 years ago.

Weber and others sell octal, plug-in, solid state rectifiers, but that doesn't provide context for solid state signal tubes. The plug-in may have resistors for voltage drop, but other than that it's just diodes that can handle HV and it's super simple. You can make one yourself.

Replicating something like a 12xx7, 6V6GT, or 6L6GC is another matter. Coming up with solid state components that can take HV in a circuit that replicates a signal tube structure is difficult.

For collectors of the Zenith Trans Oceanic and similar radios, there's a cottage industry that's making solid state replacements for the 1L6, 50A1, 1R5, 1U4, 1U5, 1S5, 3V4, 0A2, and 0B2T miniature tubes. These radios operate with a maximum B+ of 90 Volts, so these tubes are more doable than trying to replace a 6V6GT that a Deluxe Reverb hammers with 450 Volts.

Last edited:

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Yep. It was a joke, hence the emoji. Someone will step in to make tubes, (human) nature (capitalism) abhors a vacuum.

Got it. I'm the second person who didn't get the joke, 'cause I think you put the emoji after the rong sentence.

I agree, it's likely that tube production will continue. It may go through some drastic changes in pricing if it's relegated to small manufacturers, only.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
It may go through some drastic changes in pricing if it's relegated to small manufacturers, only.
And then at some point manufacturing will end. There will only be individuals…diehard vacuum tube folk….who will be building their own tubes.

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
I bought another Nu-Tube amp today. I really love them. I also watched my Carvin V3 take a dump about 30 seconds after I turned it on. I now have three tube amps in a stack, in the garage in need of repair. If anyone knows of a really good amp tech in Central Florida (Tampa), let me know. My guy retired two years ago, so nothing has been repaired or maintained. ug.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Pretty sure I saw one today, girls dressed in their summer clothes gets some NOS retro style every year.
Girls dressed in their summer clothes, the smell of honeysuckle in the early evening and the a song played on transistor radio next door...all's right in the world at the end of June regardless of the year.:)

stepvan

Tele-Afflicted
Girls dressed in their summer clothes, the smell of honeysuckle in the early evening and the a song played on transistor radio next door...all's right in the world at the end of June regardless of the year.:)
I thought it went the girls all get dressed up for each other and the boys buggie-wooggie

Beachbum

Poster Extraordinaire
If and when tube amps become extinct replaced by solid state modelers it won't matter. Much like we compare the differences between hand wired and pc board tube amps that generation will be discussing old school solid state vs impulse response technology never knowing the glory of what was.