When tube production ends one day...

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I would imagine that would be more impractical and expensive than making tubes in the first place.
I stopped caring what happens with toobs 15 years ago. :rolleyes: Sold all my toob amps and haven't looked back 🤷‍♂️

18AE0EC4-0E71-4C6F-8E8D-9F1A52A0CD85.jpeg 20220313_200517996_iOS.jpg
FFA8F86F-4582-45C1-AA30-7E5B5A2C2B3C.jpeg

BOSS does do something vaguely like what you are talking about with the Waza Amp. Keep in mind it is a purely SS amp. They have digital "tubes" that you insert to change the character of the amp. There are two sockets. The Waza is my Holy Grail amp 😍

waza_amp_head_cabinet412_angle_2_gal.jpg wz_tc_sv_top.jpg

Last edited:

Asmith

Friend of Leo's
You mean a firmware download?

I think he means an SS replacements for valves (tubes) for old amps. I’m sure it could be done but I don’t think it will ever be real issue, most people will migrate to modelling eventually and valves will continue on as an expensive niche.

If a drop in replacement does come I think it will be more in the lines of that nu-tube technology rather than SS components.

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
You mean like that Roland amp with the Eric Johnson, Robin Ford etc. module thingies??

Saint Frank

TDPRI Member
Funny, I was just wondering the same thing the other day. Looked up "tube substitute" and, of course, mostly substitutes for other tubes came up immediately (i.e. 12AU7 for 12AX7), also mentioned NuTubes but what interested me the most was that back when SS tech was just getting big some tube companies did make drop in SS replacements for tubes! Apparently, it didn't take off though as most applications just moved to SS engineered parts but it seems the possibility does exist for someone to make a drop in SS replacement "tube".

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
I think he means an SS replacements for valves (tubes) for old amps. I’m sure it could be done but I don’t think it will ever be real issue, most people will migrate to modelling eventually and valves will continue on as an expensive niche.

If a drop in replacement does come I think it will be more in the lines of that nu-tube technology rather than SS components.

yeah, I think there will be plug in 'tubes' .. something like that Nu tube technology with some solid state circuitry around it on top of a tube base enclosed in something like a cap can.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's being worked on/done already but the market isn't ready for it yet. Despite the current situation it doesn't look like they are going away any time soon.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I used to play a pair of Valco tube amps and one of them had a solid state drop in replacement for its 5Y3 rectifier tube.

I enjoyed and got good use from them for several years but eventually decided to plug in a complete (solid state, as it happens) amplifier in their place.

Tube availability (they used 6973 power tubes) was beginning to decline then; I had to buy NOS for those and I recall my last purchase involving buying six or eight and getting three decent ones. And the guy who worked on them retired.

I hit a point where I was getting sounds I liked from solid state stuff, I lived rural and was tired of driving an hour+ each way to get amps worked on. So I sold them. Don’t mean this to sound doomy or dismissive of the OP’s concerns, though. I worried at the time that I was acting rashly and would be kicking myself for letting those amps go. Thankfully that has not been the case. I underwent a shift in my approach, not a
music-ectomy.

Last edited:

JIMMY JAZZMAN

Tele-Holic
Perhaps our ears will hear tubes when the ss technology gets better. I'll look at my
empty pockets and start hearing "tubes" in all the ss stuff.