when to remove binding mask and\or scrape the binding?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by telechadster, Aug 29, 2014.

1. telechadster

telechadster Tele-Meister

Hello all,
    About to start my first finishing project and have most details sorted out, but one thing i'm still somewhat confused about.
    I'll be spraying a double bound body, and plan to mask the wide\side edges of the binding, and possibly leave the top thin edge to scrape.
    Since I'll be laying down primer, and then 10-12 color coats, I will have to do this over a few days at least. I've read that the best time to pull the binding mask or scrape the binding is an hour or so after spraying, when things are dry to the touch but still soft enough to not chip or come off with the tape.

So should i be pulling the tape and scraping at the end of each session and then re-applying the tape the next session? I also read a suggestion to not scrape the primer from the binding until the color coat is on. Perhaps each new coat softens the underlying coat enough to only worry about it after the last coat is applied?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!!

2. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Only pull it off once.

10-12 coats sounds like a bit much. The old "color until it is covered" rule might get you by with less.

:)

3. teleplunker

teleplunker TDPRI Member

I did a double bound body recently and left the tape on for the priming and painting and it turned out fine. Only had to scrape paint from binding where I was sloppy with tape. I didn't want to tape but one time. It was a lot of tedious work! Good luck!

ForumRunner_20140830_103310.jpg

4. telechadster

Yeah I was going off strewmacs guide, but also figured being my first time might be safer to avoid sanding through?

5. telechadster

Ok that's great, was dreading trying to redo the masking accurately multiple times. Assume you pulled fairly shortly after the last coat though?

6. teleplunker

teleplunker TDPRI Member

I actually let it dry thoroughly. I was worried about being ham-handed and pressing too hard on the paint and making impressions or fingerprints.

7. LeroyBlues

LeroyBlues Tele-Holic

I worked for Gibson, scraping bindings. The guitars were painted, one coat of color, then scraped, then several coats of clear. Ideally we scrsped them about 30 minutes after the color coat, but at times it was hours, or even a few days, later. We didn't mask the edges on solid color guitars. Shades, because of the process, were masked, at times.

8. telechadster

Thanks for the advice guys, think I'm good to give it a go. Will let you know how it turns out.

9. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

If you're going to have primer and color build up, you should mask it, with that much material, scraping won't turn out well.
    LeroyBlues stated that they shot one coat then scraped, thats about the limit on getting a good result from scraping.
    I prefer scraping, but found out the hard way that a primer and color coats build up too thick to get a good result by scraping.

10. telechadster

Good to know, thanks!

11. telechadster

Aaand yeah I'm an idiot. I got my color and clear coats mixed up in my original post, I will NOT be doing 10-12 coats of color..... Just 2 or 3.
    Will likely go heavier on the clear though, we'll see how it goes.

:/

12. telechadster

Well step one of my first finishing job went well. I got my initial 2 coats (3 passes per coat) of sanding sealer on 2 telemaster bodies and 2 necks. Soaked the cans in warm water for about 10min, gave a good 1-2 minute shake and had the room at a nice humidity of about 50-55.
    Overall things went well, the reranch rattle cans spit a few times but nothing too major, so one body came out looking great, the other has a few very minor low drop spots, but should be easy to level out without much trouble.

So next question.....
    I thought 2 cans of sanding sealer would get me through both bodies and a thin coat to each neck. But now I have to grain fill the bodies sides and back (front is cedar so doesn't need), and then apparently I should hit with another 3-4 coats of sealer before moving on.
    I doubt I have enough sealer for that much coverage and being in Canada means its not as simple as ordering more. So....since I plan to prime the body as well, would 1-2 additional coats on top of the grain filler (possibly on the thin side) suffice since I'll be laying down primer as well?
    Thanks again!

Some pics just for kicks:
    [​IMG]

Done and hung to dry:
    [​IMG]

13. FreddyS

FreddyS Tele-Meister

Hey, you are making nice guitars too :D

14. telechadster

thanks! :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.