1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

When the Singer makes a mistake (American Idol Content)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Apr 8, 2019.

1. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I don't think the rules on American Idol have anything to do with "real band" rules, and I'm not sure if they should (I don't care about AI). Obviously in a real band, the whole band shifts to cover the singer's mistakes. That's how it goes - you don't like, become the singer. As a singer myself I make loads fewer timing mistakes when I'm at least chunking along on rhythm guitar, but my singing suffers when my brain is split in two.

2. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Follow the singer. Hide the trouble.

getbent likes this.
  3. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

American Idol seems to have some real top notch talent this season.

telestratosonic and getbent like this.
  4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

it is a really great crop of really good singers and musicians... the cleared off some of the less talented last night... after tonight... everyone left really belongs... we'll watch the whole way.. it is a good show.

telestratosonic and 8barlouie like this.
  5. getbent

having played that song many times... when they heard him go to 'rollin' why not just roll and go to that... easy... IF they are listening and not in the 'typing pool'

noquarter1983 likes this.
  6. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I'm going to guess it is/was maybe in the script.

The show is so cheesy and ridiculous it wouldn't surprise me that the band is instructed to do little things to screw up singers they want to get rid of.

Haven't seen this awful show in years but I'd always laugh at how people are singing super dry and then all of a sudden they get chosen and the next time you hear them sing they've got reverb and auto-tune up the wazoo. "Wow she's really stepping it up tonight!"

7. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have been blessed over the years to play with experienced players that can always find their way home. Its a little different nowadays being in a country band where I am the only country player. When it happens, and it does, it is a challenge, Not everyone listens as they should.

getbent likes this.
  8. the embezzler

the embezzler Tele-Holic

Yes - I think that's what happened. So his fault - not hers.

noquarter1983 likes this.
  9. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I agree. My wife and I have been following it closely. It's up to the viewers/voters hereon in.

10. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Evelyn Cormier knocked it out of the park last night with the duet with Chris Izaak. I remember her audition and I have to admit I didn’t hear what the judges heard. I stand corrected. She gave me goose bumps.

11. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

That band is probably a just bunch of "sheet music readers" and not real musicians that can follow someone else's lead.

P.S. That was a joke
    :D

Kind of
    :twisted:

getbent likes this.
  12. getbent

there were several people who were very good last night. My memory of previous years was that when they are paired with a veteran, the veteran was really that much more polished and 'put together' as an act... this year... the 'cans' and 'not there' is stark. I only saw two singers get through who I do not think belong with the rest and at least 4 of the singers are just fantastic... the guy with Ben Harper is awesome and the kid with the face tats who sang with 'lukas graham'.... he can sing like crazy... the lukas kid, i guess he's famous, is very very good too.

13. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

I saw it live, I hate the show, but my daughter likes it and it is a chance for me to spend some time with her. Anyway, after the mistake I got to wondering. The band had to hear him, so why didn't THEY adjust and continue from where he was. It was an obvious kind of mistake that they could have just continued playing from. I understand things are a bit different these days, maybe there is some technological reason....but back in the day my band probably would have picked up on it and just continued...because it wasn't just like a one word false start, it was an entire line. Anyway....that's my take.

getbent likes this.
  14. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yup, you gotta just roll with it. Follow the singer first, if I get off timing I hold a note to figure out where I'm at (and make a good guitar god face while doing it).

I used to occasionally play with a guy who did lots of old time country. Super, super nice guy, but horrible timing.

Songs weren't in 4/4 time - sometimes they were more like 4.62/4 or 4.75/4! But he was predictable - it almost always happened going into a verse or a chorus. So at the transition point you just kind of held on for a second. It might be off by a full beat, or maybe a half, so we'd just kind of pick it up when he started singing.

Cheers,
    Doug

getbent likes this.
  15. DaveTone

DaveTone Tele-Meister

Gotta make the singer sound good.

16. DaveTone

DaveTone Tele-Meister

You sir, have just slapped the bull.

17. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting. I do remember reading somewhere along the lines of beninma's post that the producers sometimes put their thumb
    on the scale by giving the vocalists they favor lots of reverb and a little bit of autotune while keeping the vocalists they dislike a bone
    dry signal. But I would be surprised if that what's going on in this instance. I believe that the vocalists do get a chance to do a rehearsal
    with the band. It may well be the case that the band is instructed to stick to the chart no matter what when normally in real life the music
    director probably would do their best to have the band follow the singer and cover up the mistake as much as possible.

18. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm the singer and the guitarist. If I come in early or late, it's going to be bad. I have been known to drop beats on occasion. Usually the band follows me and makes fun of me later.

19. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

One time years ago, my band’s female singer left and we were auditioning replacements. One cute but under-qualified young lady cane by. She was okay but not great. We were playing some simple song not in the band’s usual repertoire and getting bored. Through some combination of band ESP and hand signals, we decided the final repeat of the chorus needed to modulate up a step. Right on cue, guitar, bass, and keys all jumped up. Singer girl didn’t notice. Not right away, not in the first measure, not through the whole dang chorus.

Thanks for stopping by...

20. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Another time, even longer ago, I was auditioning for the second guitar spot in a ‘70s rock cover band. I was instructed ahead of time what songs to learn, and the list included “The Ocean” by Led Zeppelin. I already knew the song well, but when the band played it, it was immediately obvious that the drummer didn’t understand that the main riff is in 15/8. He just kept bashing on through it in 4/4 and the band followed. I had to stop every 15 beats, wait one count, and then restart in sync with them.

Don’t call me, I’ll call you...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.