When the opening act is better than the main event!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by M2roadwarrior, Sep 21, 2020.

1. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

I saw a then-mostly-unknown Soundgarden open for Canadian techno-thrashers Voivod at a tiny little club in Reseda, CA in 1990.

Soundgarden tore the place up. Everyone was jumping up and down and going completely insane. Still one of the meanest, dirtiest, heaviest shows I've ever seen.

And yeah....half the crowd left after their set.

They'd be playing festivals and filling arenas about two years later.

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  2. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Talas opened for somebody I can't remember

this was out Route 22, near the stripper joint and adult books

never went in to see what all those truckers were reading!

3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I still talk to Franco and Lenny, and I see Gatto here and there every so often. John the Cat is the only one left on the Island at this point. Franco is in Connecticut, Lenny's in Antigua.

Haven't seen Mickey since the last reunion gig in 2013.

- D

MisterZ and M2roadwarrior like this.
  4. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

Last year I went to see Reignwolf, who I've really enjoyed what I've seen of them. Bone Owens, from Nashville, was opening for them; he used to play guitar for Yelawolf, I rapper whose work I've enjoyed, but otherwise didn't know anything about him. I walked out a huge fan of the guy. Loved his set, met him at the merch table when I was buying his CD and he seemed like a really genuine dude, and he just completely tore down the house. Reignwolf paled in comparison.

5. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

Maybe they did want to see and hear Journey, but their ears couldn't take anymore decibels or frequencies. I mean van halen back in the day was scorchingly loud and some of the high-pitched whammy effects that Eddie did could really affect your eardrums not in a positive way.

6. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Meister

They were there for 3 nights. I saw the opening show, the first night, Thursday, March 11, 1971. Elvin Bishop Group w/ the Pointer Sisters as backup singers was the opening act, followed by The Allman Brothers Band, then Johnny Winter And. On that night The Elvin Bishop Group was better than Johnny Winter And. JW was obviously in bad shape -- he kept leaving the stage, and Rick Derringer pretty much took over and played most of JW's set. And yes, The Allman Brothers Band, as you write, blew the Fillmore down...

Robert H. and M2roadwarrior like this.
  7. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Interesting - Elvin Bishop opened up the second night, but no Pointer Sisters as I remember. Winter was good 3/12 (early show) but the Bros were incredible as the live album reveals, in part. I heard by Sunday, Johnny went on before the ABB.

M2roadwarrior and TeleBluesMan like this.
  8. dmvksv

dmvksv TDPRI Member

Back in the 80's, I saw The Call open for Simple Minds. This was when Simple Minds was at the peak of their popularity, and they put on a great show, but The Call blew me away. I was aware of who they were , but I became a big fan after seeing them play.

9. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Meister

Here's an album cut from Bishop's second LP, with The Pointer Sisters on vocals. They did a great version of it the night I saw them:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Robert H. and M2roadwarrior like this.
  10. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I saw the Damned open for the Misfits mach 4 or whatever some 15 years ago. It was one of the all-time great entertainment disparities I've ever witnessed.

11. philpm

philpm Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I saw Foghat open for Triumph in 83 or 84. Triumph was really good (and their light show was everything it was cracked up to be), but Foghat was on that night and really outdid Triumph. One of the best shows I've ever been to.

12. Sockrawtease

Sockrawtease TDPRI Member

Can’t remember if it was a joint billing or listed as an opening act, it was about 15 years or so ago, but I had tickets to see Satriani at Massey hall in Toronto and Eric Johnson was there to start off the night. Was a bonus for me because I always wanted to see him and I had missed the G3 tour that EJ was on. Satch was good but EJ stole the show that night and I kept hoping he’d come back on stage.

also saw mastodon opening for iron maiden back in the day. Brent hinds was rocking out hard on a stool with a cast for a broken leg. Didn’t know who they were then and don’t really listen to them now (not my cup of tea) but they definitely put on a good show. Not as good as maiden but they were definitely memorable, even with the over the top stage production you get with maiden shows.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.