When the opening act is better than the main event!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by M2roadwarrior, Sep 21, 2020.

1. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

I didn't see it (except on film) but Hendrix opening for the Monkeeys

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  2. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

When I was a Teen in Memphis they seemed to have a lot of opening acts that blew away the main act shows.

Van Halen opened for Black Sabbath, Pat Travers Band opened for Foghat, Thin Lizzy opened for Nazareth and Joan Jett opened for The Police. All these shows lost a big percentage of the audience after the opening act.

Macrogats and M2roadwarrior like this.
  3. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic

Social Distortion and Sonic Youth opened for Neil Young. Social Distortion's too-short set was awesome and by far the best of the three. Sonic Youth was awful. I think they got booed off the stage. Neil wasn't terrible but not even close to the energy from Social D.

dlaroe, fendertx and M2roadwarrior like this.
  4. Dano-caster

Dano-caster Tele-Meister

Around '80/81 saw U2 open for J.Geils band.San Diego Stadium.U2 was already on when we finally got in and the place was throbbing with that U2 sound.Never really heard much of them before.We were impressed.Stayed through Geils also.Really good show.

5. Henley

Henley Tele-Meister

July 1980 Cal Jam Blowout where every act out performed Cheap trick.. the closer/headliner.
    About 1/2 the stadium of 80,000 erupted in a massive food fight and walked out when they followed Dio and Black Sabbath with " I want you to want ME "

The Baby's
    Molly Hatchet
    The Kinks's
    Journey
    Sha Na Na
    Black Saddath w/Dio
    Cheap Trick

6. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

Mid-90s, Junior Brown opening for a forgettable Nashville act. Junior left them in his dust.

M2roadwarrior and Slip Kid like this.
  7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

My first exposure to Grand Funk Railroad (as they were called at the time) was at the Texas International Pop Festival in August of 1969. They were completely unknown, and, as Mark Farner explained, they were playing many festivals "un-paid".....for the publicity. They blew MANY bands away back then. The music was pretty good, but their energy coming off the stage was incredible. I later saw them at the Tarrant County Convention Center THEATER.....which was designed for orchestral and operatic performances. Pretty intimate place......Mark played barefoot as he usually did back then, and we could see his toenails needed trimming. ;)

tubegeek and M2roadwarrior like this.
  8. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

The Doobie Brothers opened for Loggins & Messina on April 5th, 1973 at Knoxville, TN, Coliseum. The Doobies were HOT and left the audience collapsed in their chairs and gasping for breath. Most of the audience walked on L&M after about twenty minutes. Photographer Dan Fong shot this pic and it was used on the back cover of their "What We Once Vices are Now Habits" album. If you look really closely, you'll see that my buddy and I are just out of frame at the upper right. Not a joke. Well, sort of. That's where we were.

[​IMG]

The Elvin Bishop Band with Mickey Thomas opened for the Marshall Tucker Band at Soldiers' and Sailors' Auditorium, Chattanooga, TN, January 18th, 1977. Elvin was hot, and I mean hot. MTB was not. I was talking with a professional friend and mentioned this experience and he said, "I was MTB's lighting director for twenty years. I was there that day, too." Blush.

[​IMG]

That's Johnny "V" Vernazza on the second guitar in the middle.

Bob

M2roadwarrior and lewis like this.
  9. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Around 73 I saw The Who and before they made it big Lynyrd Skynyrd opened for them. When they played Freebird everyone stopped and wanted to know who they were. Six months later they were headliners.

10. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

I knew I liked you.

11. Novak

Novak TDPRI Member

I saw ZZ Topp open for Alice Cooper in Greensboro NC circa 1973..Texas Blues rock vs. Theatric Shock Rock..I heard AC "dropped" ZZ a few shows down the road

nojazzhere and M2roadwarrior like this.
  12. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

Van Halen opening for Sabbath at Hammersmith Odeon in 78. Sabbath were probably at their most limp, and VH were on fire.

Also Steve Hillage on the bill supporting Queen in Hyde Park, at a free event. Went to the pub when Queen came on...

And The Pirates supporting anyone... :)

gridlock and M2roadwarrior like this.
  13. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

I'll never forget it -- the Who (on their 1st NA tour) opened for Herman's Hermits in 1967 (I think it was late August). They closed with "my Generation" and gear demolition.
    Almost as odd a pairing as Hendrix opening for the Monkees earlier that year...

14. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Similar to the above post, but in Tampa Bay. In 1978, I saw Van Halen (their first album) open for Black Sabbath. Black Sabbath was great but Van Halen was better that night.

15. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

James Gang opened for Zeppelin at Music Carnival in Cleveland. James Gang smoked Zeppelin.

16. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

I saw the same tour at AMU? with a similar take. I love Neil with Crazy Horse and Sonic Youth was a novelty but Social D. just killed it.

I saw Living Color open for the Stones at RFK on the Steel Wheels tour and their short set with just their gear and a pretty much a blank stage were such a better show than the entire Rolling Stones Production that followed.

Sorry Keith, you're still a hero and I'd rather get a beer with you than Vernon Reid any day.

17. ChickenKiller

ChickenKiller Tele-Holic

I am one who ALWAYS thought journey was way overrated.

Y’all may laugh but in an open arena in Fort Smith Arkansas Stryper opened for White Lion...

White Lion was great but Stryper absolutely put on an explosive, entertaining and HIGH SOUND QUALITY show...

1987?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  18. Slip Kid

Slip Kid Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Susan Tedeschi opening for Buddy Guy and Johnny Lang circa ‘98/‘99. Her “Just Won’t Burn” album was out at the time and I had only recently read about her. We did not know what we were in for and am grateful we didn’t miss her. She and her band at the time killed it. I think Sean Costello might have been the lead guitarist. She has been the only opening act I’ve ever seen get the response she did. The audience went nuts for her and standing ovations. She even got a big crowd response when joining Johnny to do a “Feels Like Rain” with Buddy. Johnny Lang and his band were good but a little too polished for me and Buddy was Buddy. I’ve seen Buddy before and he was good but he was exceptionally good the previous time was saw him. Susan owned it that night.

Interestingly, I saw Susan a second time not too long after at a free city sponsored outdoor show. Her band had changed by then and she was the only guitarist in the band. She was good but it wasn’t like the Buddy show. I did get to meet her after the show though, so I wasn’t too disappointed!

19. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I went to a Rush show that the Steve Morse band opened for. Full discloser; I pretty much only went to see Morse, so bear that in mind, but they wound up doing a bunch of Dregs tunes in addition to his solo band stuff, and far exceeded my already high expectations. Rush was good (I mean obviously crazy talented guys), but I was never that big of a fan of their stuff to begin with, and this was during the “Subdivisions” period, and I was pretty out on Rush at that time. Taken in hindsight, that was an unreal lineup of musicians for one show...Peart, Lifeson and Lee, Steve Morse, Jerry Peek, Rod Morgenstern, can’t remember the keyboardist’s name, but one helluva roster.

grayback and M2roadwarrior like this.
  20. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

When I saw You Won't open for The Joy Formidable in Boston. Who? What? ...Exactly what I thought. When you call your friends during the set, you know it's special. TJF was awesome and certainly not upstaged, but I definitely noticed You Won't and immediately bought their album the next day.

Similar situation with Damian Dempsey when he opened for Morrissey at the Orpheum in Boston.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.